Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 AM   #166
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae85 View Post
Glad you updated this today,just got THREE XR600s today with 5 engines,though 1 is
an XL600.Sitting here wondering what direction to take.I reckon get one built mint and
sell,that should fund the other two! Great thing about Portugal,you dont get the same
corrosion as us.I once saw an advert for "cyro blasting",sandblasting using ice particles,
great for cleaning engines,just heat them up after blasting,it's only water,not grit!
Amazed how light an XR swingarm is.This was only a business proposition,but i'm
starting to think i might build one to keep one for myself,have to see how my Sth American
trip fund raising is progressing!
I'll stick some photos up later........
3?! Damn, you play it big!

I would fix 2 of them to sell and the other one keep it
Dont forget to post them
SlickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #167
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi guys, just thought Id give some updates on the big donkey.

This thing is a hoot to ride in its element

There are a few things to tune but for the most part its great, it pulls and pulls and pulls
Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #168
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ill make a video as soon as possible, I promise.

I have a few adjustments to make though.

Suspension: after rebuilding and assemble, I just left everything at midway and didnt even set the sag. That was an oversight and it shows big time. The rear doesnt complain, at least with the medium pace that Ive run at. The front is not so peaceful.
At the top of 3rd, headshake sets in. Im guessing that 15mm down on the front forks is too much and the rear sag really has a happy place.

Vibration: i know this thumpers do vibrate, but I get a strange one when accelerating from idle up to medium rpms.
Its not that hand and feet numbing type, it seems like when the engine is not held tight on its mounts. I have to check them but Im pretty sure theyre good. It doesnt make any strange or out of place noises though.

Do you think that the shaving fof the flywheel has anything to do with it? I just shaved around 400grs.

Carb:Ive fitted the 40mm FCRmx with 165/40 and it runs as is but Im way too rich on the main and lean on the pilot. A NCVT, OBEMN needle, 158,160 MJ, 42,45 PJ and 70,80 LJ are on the way to sort it out. Ill make the AP mod too and Ill follow the lead of a guy on Thumpertalk that jetted on a dyno, so my guessing and wasted money will be reduced.

Apart from that, she rips
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #169
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Left to right: Djubi the old girl, my younger sister, my girl and the 2 latest additions to the family, Bob `the pirate` Marley
and the Big Donkey

Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #170
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, riding impressions.

On the road: I dont care I have other bikes for that.

Cant say about singletracking her since theres not so much of that around here.

Countryside and 2 Track: Lots of tractable power, easy to ride slow, demanding, but fun, when faster.
I do not feel shes heavy like many say, its not a lightweight but its very manageble and the power she put on the ground helps. Im 5'10, 85kg, fit athletic build and Im sure that it helps to manhandle her, but Im a bit suprised with the easy handling after reading so many guys complaining about the weight.
Man up, build some muscle and she wont be that bad

Im sure that on a singletrack she could be a handfull, but for me and her intended purpose shes perfect. There are newer, faster, lighter machines and way more expensive machines but none like the mighty XR600!

Long live the Thumper!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #171
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Some mods that Im really pleased with, shaving the flywheel, 40mm FCRmx with a bigger cam on the accel. tube and the oil radiator.

She revs up FAST When I sort the jetting, she should be an animal
Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #172
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSix;20275290

[B
Do you think that the shaving fof the flywheel has anything to do with it? I just shaved around 400grs.
[/B]
I think it might...but IU havent done it...mine is smooth at all rpms decel too...

I know that cw and other engine builders, shave and balance the crank...maybe this would of been nice to do at the same time

suspension for sure needs to be all the way up on the front especially on the stock forks...springs...
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #173
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,150
Btw congraaaaaaats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote