Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #106
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
also look at the tensioner...the tab on the actual stem/axle that you grab should be pretty much parallel with the fins on the head(or did you not have the screw in to toghten it down? jejeje)

but way nice install on the cooler!!!!!

Im assuming you are not going to run a high fender or stock one but use a sumo like short fender?

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #107
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
That timing chain doesn't look good at all. If it's not fitting tight to the bottom of the gear teeth I wouldn't run it like that.
They don`t fit to the bottom of the teeth even new,,,,,,,just the way they are made......but if the lines are off 1/2 tooth,the chain is toast.......

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #108
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic View Post
Nice job on that cooler! How did you fit CRF plastics? How does the left one fit on the air filter?
Hey nikolic, thanks, it did turned out pretty good. The front and rear fender were pretty easy but the side panels
took a bit more work.

Itīs hard to explain, pm me if you need photos and more info ok?
SlickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:09 AM   #109
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
also look at the tensioner...the tab on the actual stem/axle that you grab should be pretty much parallel with the fins on the head(or did you not have the screw in to toghten it down? jejeje)

but way nice install on the cooler!!!!!

Im assuming you are not going to run a high fender or stock one but use a sumo like short fender?

cheers
Thanks Christian the oil cooler was easy and turn out ok.

Yes, the bolt was not holding the tensioner at this time, I was test fitting the cam chain and turning the motor by hand
just to be sure the timing was ok and since I dry fitted the piston, I turn it a bunch of times to help seating the rings before I kick her to life, which SHOULD be tomorrow!!

I do know the chain is a bit streched but Iīll run it for now and if sheīs really noisy, Iīll change it but for now she stays.

The fender itself itīs the same as the rest of the plastics, from a 07 CRF450. Itīs not fitted at the moment but itīs ready to
go.
I had to trim it in the back or it would hit the frame itself , even with spacers. Also trimmed at the front, but thatīs just personal taste, I really dislike having a huge sail at the front.

Oh, I betting the oil cooler that Steve bought will be arriving soon right
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #110
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I need some help here guys.
I'm in the process of adapting my exhaust, which is all I need to kick her to life but my problem is not related to that.

Itīs electrical. Not even sure thatīs a problem but i think so.

Ok, letīs see if I can paint you the picture.

-When first saw the bike, she started cold at the 4th or 5th kick
-Hot, she started 2nd kick
-Had front lights
-Never missed on the short way home

Got her home and stripped everything and this is what Iīve found:

-Nothing connected to the AC regulator and no cables with similar connections
-The DC rectifier was disconnected too but has the connectors in place on the loom
- My stator (european model) has 5 wires and theyīre all connected to the loom but nothing to connect to the AC regulator
-No frame grounds whatsoever and one eye type that sits between the Coil and the frame was cut and not connected
-My PG had 1.1mm air gap

Itīs my understanding that the stator needs to be grounded to the frame if itīs not internally grounded right? Since mine has 5 wires coming out, I suppose itīs NOT grounded internally, although it works. Haven't found any ground to the frame.

Which leads me to the one between the Coil and frame. Why cutting it? Doesn't the frame ground acts as a CDI ground too?

How the hell do I to connect the stator to the AC regulator if they donīt share the same connectors? They're still the OEM ones. The stator ones are bullets and the AC are females spades. And if itīs not connected, how on earth would the lights not burn?

Just trying to understand and since I'll be adding taillights, I want to have it done properly and not burn my CDI or something else.

Also, I have like 10 different electrical schemes but not a single one is like my setup. They share similarities but none is equal. Mind you thatg I run an European version.

Any help is really appreciated, I want to kick her tomorrow, Iīm reaaaaaaaaally itching here guys
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #111
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

hey slick

you should have at least the coil ground at the coil itself...

on the xr600 thread when I was diagnosing my problems with the stator someone posted 2 pics of the european model xr600 and the normal us xr600

take a peek there or search on the web for the electrical diagram for the european model which has WAY MORE WIRES than we do...or non european models do...

I remember clearly however that you still had a ground at the coil...

I also seem to remember that the headlight loom had a ground in addition to the normal stator one...

Ill try and search for those diagrams again..

are you sure your stator is stock?

cheers
Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #112
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Christian, thanks. If you could find them it would be nice. Iīve searched everywhere and I do have a few
european and australian diagrams, but none of them are like my loom. Im stumped.

The coil itself might ground itself at the supporting tab, but what about the rest ?!
Iīve found zero ground points on the frame and the AC has no connections leading from the stator or loom and Iīm pretty sure the stator is stock.

I just donīt want to risk my CDI, who knows if the previous seller didnt rig her just to get by? I wanna have her in trust worthy conditions
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #113
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

you have something wrong...sounds like the previous owner wired it how he wanted it

so you are saying you have to regulators? one dc and the other ac?

I thought that the eurpoean or dualsport models only had 1 reg rec that is dc...but not 2

I would rig up your bike however the european schematoc shows...

ps. the gap on the pg is theoretically non adjustable however its says .9mm or thereabouts on my manual...
Old 10-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #114
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,682
The XR600 wiring harness should have a ground (green) that is attached by one of the two top air box bolts.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #115
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

well this is the australian model and it has an ac regulator, a dc reg rec and a condensor!

man Im not jealous of your situation

http://crossedpurpose.lincolnblack.c...ng-Diagram.jpg

try to rig it up like this...you can see there is a ground at the coil and atator
Old 10-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #116
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
The XR600 wiring harness should have a ground (green) that is attached by one of the two top air box bolts.
Hey Steve how you doing?

I should have but there were none and when I clean up the loom I didnīt see anything hacked near the airbox.
I do have 3 wires to the coil: 2 for it and 1 which I do beleive itīs the ground but it was just cutted without the eye thing.

Thatīs my concern, that due to the hacking of lights and horn and such, the owner needed to float (?) the ground near the coil. But how did she run without a single ground point??? Will she blow if I connect the ground and AC???

Man, I hate electrics!

Christian,I have that scheme is pretty much what I have on the bike but the layout is different.

The loom has 3 wires to the coil, the pulse generator connector is at the front and my AC doesnīt have the same connectors as the stator.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #117
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hell yeah!!

I got it

I found a small post by XRider, a big thanks by the way, in which in told another advrider how to test the lighting side of the stator on a 94 XR and since the readings are different from previous years I decided to test it too.

Then it hit me, the previous owner removed everything except the front light and since he was not running the horn and blinkers, he mustīve decided to wire the lights using the DC with the capacitor, thus eliminating the need to wire the AC to the loom.

Ahh, it feels good to be on the right track
Old 10-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #118
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

well thats what I was starting to guess, that the po simply eliminated the need for the ac regulator...

you still need grounds though...

at least 2

one with an eye at the green coil and you can splic one in or see if you have a green available that can be attached to the airbox bolt like steve said

Im using 3...one extra that I got with the new rocky stator in case I ever want to add more lighting via a dc reg/rec but I dont need any as all I use is the headlight and tailight...

get that baby running so we can see some pics and mayubve a vid?

cheers
Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #119
SlickSix OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey guys Iīve got some more photos for you but still havenīt started her ...

Was all ready to go, I just needed to prime the pump and tighten the rocker caps... well,well looky here I found
that one of the caps was cracked
Off to Honda dealer and Iīm still waiting for it. At least I caught it in time right?

Ok, I wasnīt planning to do the graphics now but since I have to wait for the cap, why not?

Bought some 3m auto vinyl and had a friend cut the graphics

CRF450 trimmed fender at the front and back
CRF150 gear lever
Blue glove covering the broken cap

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

SlickSix screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 05:08 AM
Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #120
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
just great, but I might notice that you're missing a CRF forks...