Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
doc47 OP
Klooge Maker 3rd Class

Oddometer: 92
West Africa maps?

Since Africa is lumped in with Europe and the Middle East, please forgive me if I'm too lazy to go through all the threads to see if anybody has W. Africa maps/tracks to share.
I've got a Zumo 550 and am looking for Senegal, Gambia, Mali, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Conakry, Burkina Faso, in particular.

doc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:57 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 13,205
Moved from the tracks forum.

What are you looking for? Garmin maps to buy? Open source? What kind of GPS, etc?

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,829
doc47, your best source of maps for that region of the world is OSM maps. You can select the countries you want at this OSM Garmin Maps site. These maps can be installed into Garmin BaseCamp and then loaded on to your zumo 550 - as space allows.

You will also need to download and install the free application JaVaWa GMTK so that you can rename the files and give them a unique Family Number (see the FAQ on the Map site above).

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:51 AM   #4
doc47 OP
Klooge Maker 3rd Class

Maps

DRTBYK, thanks for the good info. I went to the site and was thoroughly confused. It offers several different file types (Generic routeable and Generic routable new style, TYP type, and some sort of direct image that can be unzipped and downloaded to an SD card. None of this makes any sense to me. Do you have the time to explain this?

BTW, I'm an ex-Washingtonian (Port Orchard). Where are you from?

I'm basically looking for open-source maps, if they exist. I'm a newbie at GPS, having used it more than 20 years ago for nautical navigation, but it has changed vastly since then. Using Base Camp and all that is new to me. Big learning curve here!

doc47 screwed with this post 03-23-2015 at 03:09 AM
Old 03-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

doc47, Yes, you do have a rather steep learning curve ahead. The OSM maps are open source maps of the world. I will lay out the process that I think you will want to use given your zumo 550 is the target device and you will most likely want to use BaseCamp for planning purposes.

The garmin.openstreetmap.nl website allows you to choose pre-compile maps by country or you can use the Map on the page to select areas that make up those same maps. I would suggest selecting by Country and downloading each one individually. The following steps will get you the individual maps.
  1. Go to garmin.openstreetmap.nl and make the following selections:
  2. Select "Generic Routable (new style)"
  3. Ignore "Inculde a TYP file"
  4. Choose a predefined country: Africa > choose one
  5. Ignore "Perhaps you'd like to add some additional tiles?"
  6. Once you select a country, click on Download Map Now! under "Request your map..."
At this point you will get a new window/tab that has links for downloading the country you selected in various formats as you saw previously. If you use a MAC, click on the link to download osm_generic_new_macosx.zip. If you use a Windows computer, click on the link to download osm_generic_new_windows.exe. Once downloaded, you need to install the map before downloading the next country as the downloaded file names are the same for each download.

If you are a Mac user, un-ZIP the downloaded file and double-click on the resulting file that ends in GMAP. This will install the map in your BaseCamp.

If you are a Windows user, run the downloaded map EXE file on your computer and it will install the selected country map into BaseCamp.

Repeat the above for each country you want a map for.

Once you have the country maps downloaded and installed you will need to download and install the program JaVaWa GMTK. JaVaWa GMTK has the ability to rename the installed OSM maps in BaseCamp so they have obvious unique name and "Family Number". Follow the Help instructions in JaVaWa to do this.

OK, you've installed your maps in BaseCamp and all went well - right? If not just ask.

Once your maps are installed in BaseCamp and named appropriately by using JaVaWa GMTK, you can install your country maps on your zumo 550 - I recommend using the SD Card as your install location. You will be using Garmin MapInstall to do this. It is already on your computer (it was installed along with BaseCamp). When you get this this stage let us know and we'll continue.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 03-23-2015 at 09:59 AM
Old 03-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
doc47 OP
Klooge Maker 3rd Class

OSM, etc.

Dan, much thanks. You went above and beyond...
I've copied your instructions to my desktop and when I get some quiet hours, will sit with them, with Basecamp, and my Zumo and try to figure out how to do all this stuff.
Again, many thanks.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Anytime...be careful out there Doc.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
doc47 OP
Klooge Maker 3rd Class

Now what?

Downloaded Basecamp. Downloaded the map for Senegal. The other countries I wanted came up a bit differently. Instead of a click for "download" I had to fill in the name of the country and then click on "Build my map". Are you familiar with this? I think they did download, though.
How do I find the maps in Basecamp? When I open BC I don't see anything in "My Collection". Are the maps in some other place?
I also downloaded JaVaWa. I'll have to figure all this out.....

doc47 screwed with this post 03-25-2015 at 01:06 PM
Old 03-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
doc47, your best source of maps for that region of the world is OSM maps. You can select the countries you want at this OSM Garmin Maps site. These maps can be installed into Garmin BaseCamp and then loaded on to your zumo 550 - as space allows.

You will also need to download and install the free application JaVaWa GMTK so that you can rename the files and give them a unique Family Number (see the FAQ on the Map site above).
I used those OSM map for my Tunisian trip and they worked quite well. Lots of compiled dirt tracks that you can't find on paper maps.

1988 Honda Africa Twin aka Queen of Sheeba -- Current
MassiveLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc47 View Post
Downloaded Basecamp. Downloaded the map for Senegal. The other countries I wanted came up a bit differently. Instead of a click for "download" I had to fill in the name of the country and then click on "Build my map". Are you familiar with this? I think they did download, though.
How do I find the maps in Basecamp? When I open BC I don't see anything in "My Collection". Are the maps in some other place?
I also downloaded JaVaWa. I'll have to figure all this out.....
Some of the Country maps are not precompiled so you have to enter your email address and then click on Build My Map. You will get two emails. The first will let you know that your order for the map is in the queue and the second email will have the link to the download site when the map is ready (the same as you did for Senegal).

Once they are in BaseCamp you can see the map by selecting Maps on the menu bar and click on the OSM entry with the abbreviation that looks like the country you installed. This is the reason you will want to use JaVaWa GMTK as it will let you rename the installed maps to the country name. You can't do that in BaseCamp and BaseCamp must not be running when you use JaVaWa.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
doc47 OP
Klooge Maker 3rd Class

You guys are terrific

Much thanks. I'll keep working on it.
Stand by!

Old 03-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #12
doc47 OP
Klooge Maker 3rd Class

BC and VAWA

Looks like the maps I downloaded have errors, so I'll try again. The internet connection is very slow here, leading to lots of potential errors. Kinda frustrating!....
I also downloaded some more maps today but I don't see them in Base Camp. I've only got two maps in Base Camp and, according to JaVaWa, they have errors.
How does Base Camp know I've downloaded maps?
One more question: Does Base Camp need to be connected to the internet or can I work with it off-line? Same with JaVaWa?
And One MORE question: I'm assuming Base Camp Help is internet-dependent. Is there a way to download the info and read it offline?

doc47 screwed with this post 03-26-2015 at 01:08 PM
Old 03-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc47 View Post
Looks like the maps I downloaded have errors, so I'll try again. The internet connection is very slow here, leading to lots of potential errors. Kinda frustrating!....
I also downloaded some more maps today but I don't see them in Base Camp. I've only got two maps in Base Camp and, according to JaVaWa, they have errors.
How does Base Camp know I've downloaded maps?
One more question: Does Base Camp need to be connected to the internet or can I work with it off-line? Same with JaVaWa?
And One MORE question: I'm assuming Base Camp Help is internet-dependent. Is there a way to download the info and read it offline?
doc, you need to install the maps. Are you a Windows or Mac computer user? Most likely the JaVaWa errors are that the maps have the same "Family Number". This is an arbitrary number that ID's the map to BaseCamp and all maps must have different Family Numbers. You can use JaVaWa to change this number: pick a number in the high 2xxx range. It may also be a minor-error stating that there are duplicate map tiles between map sets. This is not a problem you need to worry about.

BaseCamp is an offline application. It can use the net for searching Yelp* but that is not an issue for you.

The Help for BaseCamp is online only and can not be downloaded. But, you can start with the ToC and Print to PDF Topics of your choice. If it were me in your position, I would look for the best net connection I could find and start "printing to PDF" the complete Help doc.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-27-2015, 03:09 AM   #14
doc47 OP
Klooge Maker 3rd Class

Well, Duh! Sometimes this old brain just short-circuits!
On JaVaWa, how do you rename things? I don't see that listed.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:10 AM   #15
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
I used those OSM map for my Tunisian trip and they worked quite well. Lots of compiled dirt tracks that you can't find on paper maps.

awesome !

keep in mind those dirt trails are on OSM because folks like you UPLOAD THEM all the time. please continue to upload the cool places you find to osm, so we can all benefit :)