ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,876
FURKOT the Online Trip Planning Tool

FURKOT.com is an online Trip Planning tool that has been aggressively adding Adventure and Dual Sport Riding features to an already robust Trip Planner. There have been several discussions regarding this application, including ones in ADVrider > Trip Planning and ADVrider > Layin' down tracks. Not to mention the "Vendors" own thread in the Vendor forum: Help me improve Furkot, a free online road trip planner

I like this application a lot and think it is a great tool for this community. Will it make everyone drop what they're using now and jump on to FURKOT? No. No application is all things to all people as this community knows very well. So, what was it that got my attention?

The first "feature" that caught my eye was that it's FREE and that there are NO Ads. The map work space is uncluttered with Socializing content, Buy-this Ads or Subscribe Here banners! The second thing that got my attention was their business model and Privacy Policy which I've provide the links to.

Well, you may not read them but suffice it to say, these folks don't need, or want, our personal info or Trip data. It's up to you how you want to share (they have group editing!) or publish your Trip Plan.

I do suggest that you use the FURKOT thread in the Vendors Forum to post Feature Requests outside of that thread I'll post any new features I discover in this thread.

Disclaimer: I have no stake in FURKOT and I'm not compensated in any way by code42day (the owners). I just like this Applications approach to online Trip Planning - and they are responsive to requests for Moto-features.

OK, open for discussion...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-04-2014 at 12:16 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 846
In...
One thing I noticed today is that in my 5.1 version of Safari, the icon's popup info didn't work. In Google Chrome everything works fine. I must say, those are some crappy bit mapped icons that I never would have figured out without the popup help.

Very cool app overall. I'm really liking that it's not a neutered version of Google Maps...Terrain view and even street view are in tact. I haven't seen that in any of the other third party map apps.

I'm also liking that there is State park and trail info provided with details.
Very nice.

Good find!
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Seems the FURKOT folks get their Icons from some online partners. They were very responsive to using Garmin Symbol Names though. So, when you export your GPX data to your GPS (no BaseCamp required) you should see proper Waypoint Symbols.

You can Import your GPS data directly via GPX since all modern Garmin devices convert your data to GPX format when you connect via USB. Just connect your GPS to your computer (it's now a USB Storage Device) and point FURKOT to the ~\GPX\Current.gpx or ~\CurrentTrackLog.GPX file. But, keep in mind that FURKOT is a Trip Planner so importing your raw Track Log data may not be the easiest way to start your planning process.

I still use BaseCamp (you could use MapSource) to clean-up my data and as my GPS Database.

The cool thing about FURKOT is that you can Import the data you want to a Trip Plan or you can just view the contents of a GPX file on your computer by using the FIND > My Other Trips and Tracks > Choose file... This is one of the coolest features and was just added last week.

Don't overlook the link to Recreation.gov in the SLEEP > Camp drawer. This link is not just to reservable camp sites but to all of the National Forest Campgrounds and points of interest. The seamless integration back into Rec.gov is very cool.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
sierra_victor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Day Trips

Have had a play with the interface, couldn't understand how the multi day trips work as yet . I am yet to port a saved trip to my Zumo 590, that may be the acid test.

Salty.
sierra_victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,983
Won't follow or route along trails.....
950SE......Desert Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_victor View Post
Have had a play with the interface, couldn't understand how the multi day trips work as yet . I am yet to port a saved trip to my Zumo 590, that may be the acid test.

Salty.
You set the conditions of Daily Travel in the TRIP settings. FURKOT will automatically add an End-of-Day Stop to comply with your settings or you can set your Start and End Times the same and FURKOT will not auto-generate end of day stops. To start the next day, just start placing your route points. FURKOT is based on Start Points and Stop Points. They determine "Days".

My recommendation for you zumo590 is, once you have your Trip as you want it, Export your Trip using the GPX Tracks option. This will give you a file with Tracks labeled by Day # and your Stops/Waypoints. Once imported into the zumo590 Tracks App you can convert the Tracks to Trips (Routes) and they will be equivalent to the route you had in FURKOT. This is how I use my BMW Navigator V (and all my other Garmin's).

If you use the FURKOT's GPX Export Option of Routes, you will get GPX Direct Routes and your Stops/Waypoints but you will need to include intermediate points (≤ 30) in your daily route so that the zumo can calculate a route path that is hopefully equal to what you created in FURKOT.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-02-2014 at 07:43 PM
Old 12-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Won't follow or route along trails.....
Give us an example please: Lat/Lon of Trial. If there is a routable object (road, trail, walkway, Ferry, etc) in Google Maps FURKOT will route along it I believe.

If it's not routable, you can create a Track to follow it.

Ooooh, I think you may have your Route Type on Auto or Moto and it needs to be on Bike or Walking for Trails.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-02-2014 at 08:32 PM
Old 12-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

There appears to be a bug in the feature that allows you to create a track where there are no mapped roads.

Currently, you place a Start Point and End Point and then select the Route Type > Other. This creates a straight line between the two points and then you can click on the line and shape it as you desire using Satellite Imagery to follow your intended path. The bug appears as you shape the route and placing your point does not "stick". The work around is to place points at further away from the original line and them move them back to your desired path. This is getting fixed along with some new Track edit features.

The new features cover the following scenarios...
  1. Editing a Track that you added to your Trip from one of your other Trips or that you add using the FIND > My other Trips and Tracks > Choose file... (which allows you to show the contents of a [GPX, KML or CSV] file on your computer and select a track or points from it).
  2. Creating a Track where there are no roads using Satellite Imagery to following un-mapped paths. This can be done today using the Route Type "Other" as I noted above.

and they will enable the following in order to accomplish the above...
  • enable moving end points of locked routes (moving end point will stretch the line between it and the first bend)
  • moving end points of 'other' routes will also stretch the line between it and the first bend instead of reverting to the straight line
  • add RESET button to the route details that can be used to force it to a straight line when you want to discard the shape and start editing over

Considering you are editing a Trip Plan and not just drawing a line on the map, these make sense to me but I can see they will take a little practice to get down once fully implemented.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-03-2014 at 08:53 AM
Old 12-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
KenbNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
planning an article?

thanks for starting this and your work on the vendor thread Dan.

are you planning on posting an overview on your site? I'm sure that a lot of us would find it very helpful (and thanks by the way for the other articles there)

Ken
KenbNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Hi Ken, thanks for the kind words.

I don't think I'm going to write a detailed "review" of FURKOT at GlobeRiders but I may do an article of some sorts about FURKOT there. The FURKOT YouTube Channel is a great starting point to get going in the right direction...(pun intended)

I would like to use this forum to present a series of "Pro Tips" that I think this community would use the most and of course address questions - if I've figured it out - or if others have the answer. If we don't have an answer we can surely get the FURKOT Dev Team to provide one for us.

I'm working on a set of short "How To" screen recordings to cover Track Import, inclusion into a Trip and using the ways noted above to "edit" a Track segment within your Trip. I don't want them to overlap the FURKOT YouTube videos so if they add one that addresses the/a question I'll post the link to it.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-03-2014 at 12:39 PM
Old 12-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
DaMonk45
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 258
Oh, Hell yes I'm in.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
DaMonk45
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 258
Lets start with an easy one.

I am planning a long trip. From Houston Tx to Cody Wy.
1450 miles give or take a few.
I have some places I want to stop and see and some places i want to spend some time at.

Pick my start, pick my end.
set the route to where I want to go and add places along the way.

Now when I export this to a gps file and import it into OSMAND or Locus it brings in a TON of points.
are all the points needed or is there someway to tell it not to export all of the points?

Monk
Old 12-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

FURKOT the Online Trip Planning Tool

Sounds like you are exporting using KML(?). If you use GPX and the Tracks option you will get your route in Track format divided into Trip Days along with your Stops as Waypoints.

Just so everyone knows, the FURKOT KML Export only passes point. That includes your route which is a series of points. FURKOT gets this data form Google Map. FURKOT would need to code the function to turn those points into Tracks (points and poly lines) for KML Export. If that is something this community wants someone should express that desire in the FURKOT Vendors thread (see above).

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-04-2014 at 12:15 PM
Old 12-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Here is the link to the latest FURKOT.com video on the newest Route Type > Other. This is how you draw a Track between your Start Point and End Point or between two Stops within your Trip (mixed onroad/offroad).

You can also use this method to create a Track, as I demoed above but they have a small bug they are still working on.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-04-2014 at 12:18 PM
Old 12-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Importing a Track from a GPX file...

Here is my first FURKOT Trip Tip for you folks...

I'm going to focus initially on features that I think this community will use the most. This Trip Tip will import some Track segments from one of the Backcountry Discovery Route files (AZ) into my Trip and then do some editing.

Dan
All Things GPS