User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #76
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,585
Laugh I can't stand being normal

My hat is off to you guys/gals. Driving a hack with an inactive passenger scares the crap out of me.

These things handle terribly and they wreck asymmetrically without a very active passenger. Maybe someday I'll get the cajones to try it myself but until then I'll stick with this

and this

but to answer the question, because it is different. I can't stand being normal.
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #77
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,311
Why?

Because I'm too fat to fly and too lazy to walk
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #78
AussieMasada
Ring Wing

Oddometer: 420
Apart from stuffed knees, being a little different and always loving things that are or look old, I get to see my son smile like this

2012 Ural Tourist "Dirt Diving Daisy"
AussieMasada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #79
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Lots of reasons

The primary reason for getting a rig was Mrs B's bad back and her inability to stay on the (two wheeled) bike for very long.
It has turned into a real experience for both of us.
We do it because it's fun, it's comfortable, we (meaning her) can pack more stuff...the list goes on.
Also one of the best things is giving rides to kids who otherwise wouldn't be able to get on a bike due to some type of disease like cancer or a birth defect.
Seeing the smiles on their faces...priceless.

Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #80
Sidewise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyler View Post
My hat is off to you guys/gals. Driving a hack with an inactive passenger scares the crap out of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyler View Post

These things handle terribly and they wreck asymmetrically without a very active passenger. Maybe someday I'll get the cajones to try it myself.
Hey Kyler (Hack Nuts) thought that sounded familiar. Followed your entry into P3 sidecar racing online. I hope to make it to WV and NJ as a spectator again this year. Maybe you'll get up the nerve to take my ST1100 EZS Interstate Eater outfit for a spin.

Hmmm, on second thought "spin" might be a poor choice of words.

Ed Sidewise

Sidewise screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 04:32 PM
Sidewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #81
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
After About A Year and a Half . . .

I'll open by saying that I'm a relatively new hack owner/rider having been in the game just a bit over a year. I still ride my two-wheelers but seems less and less, tho' not severely so.

To me my hack is my most beautiful bike. I can't think that anyone could have done a better job on my Adv GS than Jay and the folks at DMC. It's eye candy to me and while I'm a fair amount over 70 years old at 72 in Dec. young girls seem to like it best as I can't tell you how many hoots and hollers they give it. The BMW roundel continues to confound most men.

On a fun scale, 1-10, it's a solid 10. Also, I find myself less apt to ride aggressively on it, but daresay I've lightened the front wheel now and then on takeoffs.

At the risk of being obvious, any thoughts of hauling stuff or going shopping, the hack takes all of the worry out of whether you took the right vehicle.

But then again, this is a hack forum: preaching to the choir, huh?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #82
maquette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Easy question to answer.

'79 Moto Guzzi 1000SP/ Velorex 562 sidecar
'72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
maquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #83
RockyMtnRoadRash
Useful and decorative

Oddometer: 500
I'd never have been able to haul that snowblower home on my 2 wheeler.

держите мою водку и наблюдайте это!
RockyMtnRoadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #84
Motomensch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
why I drive a sidecar

I ride/drive sidecars because due to a back injury, my sciatic nerve in left leg is dead and the leg is partially paralyzed. Tried riding an old Triumph that shifted on right but putting the left one down didn't feel secure and I didn't want to wind up under the tank, also the kick-starting was awkward with no strength in left leg to hold up bike while jumping on starter. I will be selling the 1970 Triumph Daytona, 500cc dual carb with rebuilt motor (new pistons and cylinders, valve job, etc.), if you're interested. Also because riding/driving is part of my life!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #85
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomensch View Post
I ride/drive sidecars because due to a back injury, my sciatic nerve in left leg is dead and the leg is partially paralyzed. Tried riding an old Triumph that shifted on right but putting the left one down didn't feel secure and I didn't want to wind up under the tank, also the kick-starting was awkward with no strength in left leg to hold up bike while jumping on starter. I will be selling the 1970 Triumph Daytona, 500cc dual carb with rebuilt motor (new pistons and cylinders, valve job, etc.), if you're interested. Also because riding/driving is part of my life!
This is one of the reasons (as much as I like shifting gears) I like what's happening with these dual clutch transmissions on bikes. In auto mode they really do function as automatic transmissions with push button override at your finger tips. How well suited for sidecar rigs, and a Godsend for those with disabilities! Honda offers this (in Europe only!?) on the new NC700, and VFR1200 too... suspect the next Goldwing will have that option too. Wish I could afford to buy new!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #86
karitoki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
Why I ride a hack ................well it all started like this. An accident at work that broke my leg.

Then the frigging doctor messed my leg up too..........so I got this.

Then the new doctor fixed it and I got this...................

And that is why I ride a sidecar rig now.........and I am retired now.........
I think I'm gonna be sick
karitoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #87
karitoki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Why do I ride a side car?

I got back into motorcycles after 22 years to large part from reading posts on this site. Started with a Suzuki GS550T and after a year found a GL1100. I stumbled into the Hacks forum and saw how much fun everybody was having and started thinking about how I could put one together. While at last years Lacey Toys for Tots run I met Tony the Tiger and a couple other members of the forum and that sealed the deal. I told my wife that I would be coming to the 2012 run on a sidecar; period. About a month later I found an old Motorvation Formula rig languishing in a bike junkyard in Portland. I traded a trashed GL1100 I had rotting in my driveway and a couple hundred bucks for it. It just sat in my garage until I got my tax refund when I dropped almost $700 on mounting hardware. Couple months later it was on the road.
That's how I started; why do I ride?
1. It's different.
2. I like the attention. They're great conversation fodder.
3. The GL handled like poop; doesn't matter now.
4. They're a lot of fun!
karitoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #88
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Because every broken bone incurred motorcycling has always been on a two wheeler. Plus I like taking lots of shit with me.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote