Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #31
zac@maxbmw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
This is probably not the place to post a picture of an unfinished restoration with pictures showing things out of alignment. The alligators will eat you alive
I can handle alligators

Gotta expect that stuff on any forum, it's the same way on every one i've been on, work related and non, no big deal
zac@maxbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #32
zac@maxbmw OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
So what's up with the kick starter either not returning (not likely) or screwed up internals which is more likely.

but G/S tend to have misaligned rear fenders. Guess BMW wasn't too concerned about it.
Seems to work just fine, so i'm honestly not sure. Operates/starts the bike and returns as it should, though. And the factory new fender I bought for my R100GS was crooked too, so who really knows whats up with them
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #33
Puddle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Front Fender

It looks perfect. Is it new? Is it reconditioned? If your willing to share and its reconditioned I'd like to hear what you did to the old one to prepare it and then what you painted it with. I'm a little nervous about what to use to take the paint off before repainting. Thanks.
Puddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #34
zac@maxbmw OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle View Post
It looks perfect. Is it new? Is it reconditioned? If your willing to share and its reconditioned I'd like to hear what you did to the old one to prepare it and then what you painted it with. I'm a little nervous about what to use to take the paint off before repainting. Thanks.
Bike had i believe 13000 original miles, a lot of new parts and some re-used as well. Was totally ripped apart and gone through. The Dakar tank you can actually still order new from BMW, I believe they're around $1300 list price and come primed. Im not totally positive on what paint is used, we have it done at a body shop that handles most of our restorations.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #35
Puddle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Front Fender

I'm fortunate to have a PD tank in great original shape. Its my front fender that could use some help. Do you know if its a new part you added or was it redone? Again if redone and you can share some info on how it would be really appreciated.
Puddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #36
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Beautiful bike so far. Don't care that it's a work in progress. Don't care that some things are still not quite right. Don't care that you're a dealer. I'd rather see the pics than not - thanks for posting!
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #37
zac@maxbmw OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle View Post
I'm fortunate to have a PD tank in great original shape. Its my front fender that could use some help. Do you know if its a new part you added or was it redone? Again if redone and you can share some info on how it would be really appreciated.
It was redone. I dont think the factory fenders are available any longer, although the Acerbist NOST fender is a good (cheap) alternative, thats what I have on my R100 and a riend on his R80. Work well. As far as how they do the paint work, it's all in the prepping. We send it out and they bring it back sprayed. If your fender is pretty rough you'll obviosuly have a lot more prepping to do.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #38
zac@maxbmw OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Beautiful bike so far. Don't care that it's a work in progress. Don't care that some things are still not quite right. Don't care that you're a dealer. I'd rather see the pics than not - thanks for posting!
Thanks...it's a beautiful machine
Old 06-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #39
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,982
BMW should make it again.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #40
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
are you considering an upgrade to the front brake to manage that siebenrock 1000cc upgrade? not a bad idea. damhik.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #41
zac@maxbmw OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew View Post
are you considering an upgrade to the front brake to manage that siebenrock 1000cc upgrade? not a bad idea. damhik.
I think they thought about it. On the R100GS we did (with the big bore) we just did a stainless line and it made a world of difference.

See here:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/mac...s.aspx?ID=4163
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #42
zac@maxbmw OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
BMW should make it again.
I do agree!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #43
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 457
That's a lot of work to make this pretty again. I have to ask, mainly because I do not know and have little experience with any BMW except mine (which I spent a year working on only to find the main frame and subframe needed to be replaced.)

Does the rear wheel hang at such a tilted angle while resting on the centerstand on a mono shock frame? Because this just looks wrong with the right side of the tire on the sidewalk and the bottom tread exposed at an angle.

oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #44
zac@maxbmw OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroadie View Post
That's a lot of work to make this pretty again. I have to ask, mainly because I do not know and have little experience with any BMW except mine (which I spent a year working on only to find the main frame and subframe needed to be replaced.)

Does the rear wheel hang at such a tilted angle while resting on the centerstand on a mono shock frame? Because this just looks wrong with the right side of the tire on the sidewalk and the bottom tread exposed at an angle.
I see what you're saying..not sure if it's something along those lines or the fact that the sidewalk is sloped in towards the building, but usually the tire is "centered" on the ground if its touching
Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #45
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Looks like the alligators on this thread are giving Zac a hard time now and then, but you gotta admit, he's handling it
quite well. I deal with Max BMW over in Troy, N.Y., good people.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote