User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
In-N-Out Burger Run #3

This is my first time posting about this trip, but will be the 3rd time I've made the run out to SLC area to get me a burger from In-N-Out. This started 3 years ago when I started riding for the first time. After a little trial and error (ok, major crash) I found myself leaning more and more towards long distance pavement rides and big V-Twin touring bikes. I picked up a 2011 Vulcan Vaquero and while sitting around Hooters having a few drinks with my closest friend we decided the best way to truly test the long distance capability of my new to me bike was to go on a long ride, farther than I had gone in the 3 months I had been riding. Now I had managed some multiple hundred mile days in that time, but never more than 1 day and never more than 4-500 miles. So while trying to figure out where to go I jokingly suggested we ride out to get a burger from In-N-Out and after some google map work we decided to make it so.

That first trip was in August of 2013 and involved myself, my friend Jim, and his daughter Brit. I was on my 2011 Vulcan Vaquero that I had purchased very shortly before and they were on his 2008 HD Electra-Glide Classic. We figured out a 2 day trip using interstate to get there and nice scenic highways to get back with an overnight hotel stay to keep things relaxed.

Here is the route we took

Here we are getting ready to leave his house in Loveland, CO

Here we are at our destination

Here was the prize

And here we are at the hotel

That trip went great and really got me in the mood for longer rides so we started talking and decided to do it again as a season opener sort of trip in the spring. This time we would be joined by our friend Kevin who was on a 2013 HD Electra-Glide Classic. And yes, we all make fun of both Jim and Kevin for having matching bikes. We further make fun of Kevin for copying Jim and getting such a similar bike.

We decided to change the route slightly and this time head to Orem, just south of SLC via I-70 and HWY-191/HWY-6 for a bit more scenery than I-80 through Wyoming. We would then return the same way as before using HWY-40 and HWY-14 for the slower and more scenic route home. This plan however didn't work out. The last weekend of April was apparently a little too soon as we caught a storm on HWY-191/HWY-6 in Utah and had to ride the entire pass in slush and snow. Then we got news that I-80 and I-70 were both closed. We made some plans over some beers and an alternate route home was plotted. We decided to head south to Vegas to get into the heat, cut across Arizona and New Mexico on I-40 into Albuquerque, and then come back north on I-25. Luckily all 3 of us have Mondays off so the extra day wasn't going to get us in trouble with work. We made it all the way to Albuquerque, just shy of 1000 miles, that Sunday and then finished the trip home on Monday.

The route we ended up on

Cold and wet, but we made it

It was so worth it

The Vulcan's luggage can be used to smuggle real beer into UT

Lesson of the trip, always obey the fuel light. My fuel light came on at 135 miles or so and that was about 20-30 miles earlier than normal so I tried to push on. I had to sit in the cold on the side of the road while my friend's went to get me fuel. Of course the gas station had no small 1 gal cans so they dumped out 2 big gulp Mt Dew bottles and filled them with fuel for me.

In-N-Out twice in 1 trip? Now the detour is definitely worth it.

So since that trip my friend Jim and I did a 1000-in-24 ride with the CO Freewheelers and were of course talking about that and the In-N-Out runs with all of our friends and coworkers. As such this year we've picked up some more riders. This year we are going to attempt the route we had planned for last year. I-70 to Green River, UT. HWY-191 and HWY-6 into Orem for In-N-Out. Spend the night in Heber City, UT and take US-40 back into CO. Then either Trail Ridge Road into Estes Park or HWY-14 into Fort Collins depending on road conditions. Thus far we also have firm commitments from 2 other riders to do the trip with us, plus another 2 riders to go with us to In-N-Out and then take I-80 straight back to get their 1000-in-24 certification from the IBA.

Jim and I both have new bikes for this year. He picked up a 2014 rental bike in the form of a HD Electra-Glide Limited and I bought a left over 2013 Victory Cross Country. Kevin will be on his 2013 HD E-Glide Classic and we will be joined by Chad on a Triumph Thunderbird and Cedric on a 90's Honda Shadow 1100. We might also be joined by Jim's brother on a Honda VTX 1300. The 2 guys doing the IBA ride will be on older E-Glides. We will be leaving on May 30 and are all very excited to go. We've all been joking about just leaving now for the past several weekends.

The new bikes

The route

I'll definitely try to take more pics of this trip too.

DutchVDub screwed with this post 05-05-2015 at 05:56 PM
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
jay547
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
What an inspiration! I've never had In-N-Out. I feel a road trip to Texas coming on. The fries alone look worth it.
jay547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #3
wecsoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Purists (because it's not a dual sport bike) here may disagree, but that was a fun report!

Think I've been to that in-n-out burger in SLC. Got one of my truck terminals there just up the road

Far as the burgers are concerned, they're good, but not up to the cult following I see on the west coast. I'm still a big fan of five guys, but that's just me.

Bottom line: looks like you had a great trip, you were out with friends and you posted pictures of food! What else can you ask for?

(wait, what? they're doing poutine now???)
wecsoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
All Aloha
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Fun report! Here in So Cal, In-n-Outs are popping up all over the place, so we (I, at least) take it for granted since there's one about a mile from my home. On the other hand, my friends and I have rode out to Utah and Arizona for our Cracker Barrel fix. Go figure... Thanks for sharing. You cant go wrong with Fries- Animal Style!
All Aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #5
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 261
Omg--Dutch and I agree on something!!!

Rode out to San Diego last weekend and will be working here for two months. I know where ALL the In n Outs are. I grew up with them, so I can't wait to get back to them. It's the only fast food I eat.

I totally respect the ride dedicated to getting a Double-Double. I like it animal style too

;-)

You and I might just be friends after all.

Sent from my motorbike.

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Five Guys is probably my favorite burger joint here in CO. I think what I love about 5 Guys and In-N-Out other than the great tasting food) is the simplicity of the menu, just pick the number of patties and go. My friend Jim, who I started this now annual ride with, grew up in So Cal and loves his home town burgers. I first had them a few years back when I was in CA to watch the King of The Hammers and decided that unlike Whataburger they deserved the hype.

LuLu, what are you doing out in Cali? I'll have to get my burger animal style this time instead of the fries, it looks awesome.

As for the purists, well this is my "dual-sport" vehicle and it fits the entire family. I do eventually want to get another small dual sport, something like a KLX-250 or a WR250. I actually liked my plated TTR-225 a lot minus the brakes and how much it struggled to go over 50-55mph on the street. For now though the Jeep works best for me and the family.

DutchVDub screwed with this post 05-06-2015 at 09:15 AM
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
CaptnSlo
Derelicte

Oddometer: 1,116
You guys are killing me. I remember riding around central California in the baking heat and finding an In-N-Out in the vast nothingness, like a delicious mirage. It was a wonderful moment. I think I even may have had tears in my eyes.

No In-N-Outs here. I'm in the land of Five Guys and I think it's pretty good, but the quality varies a lot by location. Five Guys fries are the pits though.

Nice report, Dutch.
CaptnSlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
caliform
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I can relate to this, always worth a quest to I-N-O. I think the first thing I did when I crossed CA state lines on the way back from my last long ride was grab an IN N Out burger.
caliform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
smccleery
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I live outside Salt lake. If you are looking for some local roads let me know. We are a bit spoiled.
smccleery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #10
motocopter
new place explorer

Oddometer: 995
Cool2

Good enough reason to make the ride. Might have to consider something like this later in the year myself. Since I've not been to an In-N-Out, I'll rely on the picture posted for motivation. Glad you're enjoyin' the new bike, DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
...made the run out to SLC area to get me a burger from In-N-Out.

My only ride report | IBA member | AMA member
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocopter View Post
Good enough reason to make the ride. Might have to consider something like this later in the year myself. Since I've not been to an In-N-Out, I'll rely on the picture posted for motivation. Glad you're enjoyin' the new bike, DVD.
Don't you basically live in Grand Junction? You're more than welcome to join us as we pass through.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccleery View Post
I live outside Salt lake. If you are looking for some local roads let me know. We are a bit spoiled.
Unfortunately time doesn't allow for much exploration. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #13
motocopter
new place explorer

Oddometer: 995
Naa, I'm about 100 miles south of Firestone. Next month I'll be riding through Las

Vegas. I see they have some there.

Quote:
Don't you basically live in Grand Junction? You're more than welcome to join us as we pass through.

My only ride report | IBA member | AMA member
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #14
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 261
Quote:

LuLu, what are you doing out in Cali? I'll have to get my burger animal style this time instead of the fries, it looks awesome.

Sadly, our beautiful state has no employment for me during the summer, so I hightail it to San Diego. It doesn't suck.

The cheeseburger or double-double is SO GOOD Animal style. Get it!!

I'll be back in July to tag some more.

Sent from my motorbike.

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #15
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluOfDenver View Post
Sadly, our beautiful state has no employment for me during the summer, so I hightail it to San Diego. It doesn't suck.

The cheeseburger or double-double is SO GOOD Animal style. Get it!!

I'll be back in July to tag some more.

Sent from my motorbike.
Well that's cool. Did you ride the bike all the way out there? Have fun in the sun, it sounds like we might get a bit of snow over the weekend.