Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #76
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
And Mrs Woodman wouldn't be freezing inside waiting for firewood.

Do you guys find it hard to get into the shed at night after a day at work? I usually spend the nites doing research as I seem to do my best work on a Sat morning
Yes.... especially if you have a relaxing beverage..........
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #77
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Yes.... especially if you have a relaxing beverage..........
Mmmmm.....

Milo....

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #78
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 780
Got it properly running this arvo, got it warm and everything and boy does it sound good with a straight pipe in a tin shed.

Got it to idle, and its nice and responsive on the throttle so thats good, but it has carb issues and floods very easily so is hard to start and I ran out of energy. Took the rocker cover off to see if it had oil pressure and the oil was being pumped through the push rods so thats good too.

Will look at the carb this weekend to see if there is anything obvious other than my homemade float seat made from a hilux oil restrictor. Parts for the carb are available from various sources so will see whats needed.
innathyzit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #79
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,062
Fuel Injection.

You know you want to.

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #80
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Although the bike now runs it floods very badly and is running very rich.

I suspect it is the float needle mainly because this was the reason the bike stopped running over 20 years ago. Basically the float seat part is munted and the float bowl has stripped the thread that holds the float valve part in.

Bottom right is munted float valve.

Anyway i decided to try and make/retrofit something else out of some brass stock.

The blurry final product .

It didn't work at all and the petrol just went past the valve and out the tickler and started filling up the inlet port.

Went inside and done some research to see if there are parts available anywhere. My float bowl is a bottom feeder and the only thing available is a top feeder so ordered some topfeeder parts and will make them fit when they arrive.

innathyzit screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 11:19 PM
Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #81
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Small update time.

Rebuilt the carb so it doesn't leak and flood anymore. Starts very well, but will need fine tuning when it gets mobile whenever that happens, so time to move onto the bodywork.

the body work will be my biggest challenge as I have inherited my Dads"'function over form" gene (see first post). In saying that it is not a concours resto but anyway wish me luck.

Some more bits arrived the other day so here is a pic of the cafe seat mocked up before I attack the seat base after lunch to make it fit. The tank is also raised up slightly to suit the higher height (higher height??) of the seat. My goal is to make the bike physically bigger so it is a bit more comfy for my prop forward frame.

Anyway the pic.

The seat is abs plastic and is a nice black finish. Thinking I might paint the tank the same colour with some logos and pinstriping it should look pretty good.

Seat came from http://www.dimecitycycles.com/cafe-racer-parts.html. Best pricing I have seen yet

innathyzit screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 05:39 PM
Old 08-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #82
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Looking good, does it have rear sets ? I found my bucket racer had the best riding position so I measured the triangle between the grips, back of seat, and rearsets and used this on the R90 and it works for me.
Front row prop...are you over 6" ?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #83
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Looking good, does it have rear sets ? I found my bucket racer had the best riding position so I measured the triangle between the grips, back of seat, and rearsets and used this on the R90 and it works for me.
Front row prop...are you over 6" ?
cheers, rearsets are next when i can sit on it, there are heaps of universal ones out there but i am going to make my own. shouldn't be too hard but the left one (brake) needs to be folding to clear the kick start.

Yes I am just over 6 ft, but slightly lighter now the muscle has turned to flab . Biggest issue really is my lack of flexibility and dodgy knees, mind you looking at the new seat I don't think touring will be the benellis forte'.

Edit, here is the seat base with some ally bits that were in my wheelbarrow of scrap metal. Bloody amazing whats in there really.

innathyzit screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 01:28 AM
Old 08-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #84
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
. Biggest issue really is my lack of flexibility and dodgy knees, mind you looking at the new seat I don't think touring will be the benellis forte'.

However we will be able to give a fair appraisal of the regions coffee sellers when our bikes are finished/ working
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #85
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
However we will be able to give a fair appraisal of the regions coffee sellers when our bikes are finished/ working
be around $7 for a flat white by then....get back to your shed.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #86
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

An update with no pics.

Bolted all the old gaurds etc on to see what it would look like and it looks ok, sorta looks like a motorbike now. Then removed it all again. Just spending time cleaning up bits and pieces ready for assembly and to see what else it needs, thankfully bugger all which is good.

Sorted the seat, but still not overly happy with the padding etc, but it,ll do for now and give me something to tinker with down the track.
Rebuilt the forks yesterday, pretty simple really, just a shorter version of the klr forks. Couldn't find any specs for fork oil levels so I just put in less than the klr has.

It starts very well now, first or second kick from cold.

Crap update, but its all I got.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:08 AM   #87
Padmei
enamoured

Shit hot Woodman. It's nice getting closer to completion isn't it.
Jeez i've just realised once I get schmidt back on the road I have to tackle the R65.
It's nearly riding weather too

If you have a looksie on the Aussie forum there are some pics of a small eyetie bike run.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #88
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Still plugging away, but the nice weather and the awsomeness of the KLR is taking up Benelli time.

Took my old speedo apart today and used the internals to fix the tacho. Seems to work with the drill.

Mocked the bike together and it looks good but there is a lot of tidying up to do.

No pics, cameras given up the ghost.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #89
Padmei
enamoured

Ready by christmas?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #90
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Quote:
Ready by christmas?

Highly unlikely as I am trying to not rush things and do a half assed job. Main things to do now are sorting the rear sets which require a fair bit of engineering just to have something to mount the pegs on and then devise a folding peg/rear brake lever. But I have a cunning plan.

I am very happy with progress so far.