Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #16
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
Well that's one persons opinion. It happens to be wrong but everyone isn't perfect. I have yet to find a place that a "dirt bike" can go that I can't.
Are you serious? i can think of a few!
Are we gonna see the first F800GS/F650GS at the finish line on RedBull Romaniacs?!

(take it easy it's the internet!! Love your bike by the way!)

skamikazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #17
Descendant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14

I have more years on a dirt/motocross bike than I care to admit. But when I took my R12GS off road on a group ride it nearly scared me to death. Big machine, no confidence, not a fun day. I am sure I would benefit from an off road school.

Descendant screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 10:20 AM
Descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
B-B

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Well that's one persons opinion. It happens to be wrong but everyone isn't perfect. I have yet to find a place that a "dirt bike" can go that I can't.
wonder the weight limit?
http://www.youtube.com/embed/ouEv_YV__VE

...and why I cant embed video
B-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
buelrdr29
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
For all of you that feel there is no difference between a dirt bike and a gs series motorcycle, you have not truely experienced dirt biking. I understand that gs bikes have offroad potential and can make it through some tricky terrian, especially with a good rider, but a true dirt bike will run circles around a gs offroad. Even my girlfriend who is a newrider understands her ttr230 I a better offroad bike than her 650gs.

If you don't understand the difference go hit a 65 foot tripple with yur gs, or hop a 3 foot log, or enter a national ISDE qualifier to test out the gs's capabilities. And if you don't have the riding skills to do any of the above mentioned activities you really don't understand "real dirt biking" since these are what the machines are purpose built for!

I have lots of bikes all for different riding scenarios, and can ride them all competitively. I love the "you just need to learb how to ride a bmw (or other heavy weight) bike" arguement. Makes me laugh. As if the adventure schools are any better than shane watts hardcore class, lol lol lol. Most adventure dvds are the most basic riding skills and don't touch the true level of riding a real developed rider has been at for years!

Keep smoking you bmw crack they sell at the dealership, it is good stuff.
buelrdr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-B View Post
wonder the weight limit?

Click on the video..... then in the upper right corner.... click share.... next page..... click embed....... rightclick on the highlighted " embedded html"....then in the reply section on advr.... paste this in the link.... your golden....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #21
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-B View Post
wonder the weight limit?

That looked freakin fun!!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
h2only
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
for sure, I race harescrambles and enduros with my honda CRF450x and can say without a doubt my F800gs wouldnt handle most of the courses we run. Two different bikes for different situations
h2only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #23
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2only View Post
for sure, I race harescrambles and enduros with my honda CRF450x and can say without a doubt my F800gs wouldnt handle most of the courses we run. Two different bikes for different situations
No doubt about it, as it would probably do well in some dakar pistes or Bajas, the Twalcom unit did very well on the Hare scramble prologue, open spaces are a good terrain for this bikes, but once you get into rocky twissty hillclimbs no matter if you'r David Knight, Grham Jarvis, Mar Coma, Cryl Depres or Helder Rodrigues, the bike is just to heavy to handle properly at low speeds or to lift her of the ground with your leg's.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Bluhduh Uh-huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by buelrdr29 View Post
Most adventure dvds are the most basic riding skills and don't touch the true level of riding a real developed rider has been at for years!
Which is pretty much what the OP needs so he can get an idea of how to ride his GS.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Laugh

My f800gs is a dirt bike

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch
Old 06-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:

I have found that people who get these bike who come from a motocross/dirt background have a harder time adjusting to these big bikes because they know how they think they should ride the bike. But of course adding 200+ lbs it changes they way the bike handles as well as adding 40 hp.
I grew up racing motoX. Then I started running from the cops, for shits and giggles, on an 1100 Suzuki. I rode it like a dirt bike. It wasn't.

On a power to weight basis the XR650R (with CRF front end, hybrid Showa XR/CR rear end, works Cam and Big Gun exhaust, Vortex ignition and Motard brakes) I was trail riding was FAR superior to the BMW. On the "scare the shit out of you" index the XR rates a 10/10. The BMW rates maybe a 6/10 by comparison.

I regularly trail ride a modified DR650. I know all about dead weight. The last time I was stuck in the scrub it was easier to throw the DR on it's side and drag it over the knee high logs than to try and ride it through.

It doesn't change the fact that a GS is a road bike. I take it far off road. It's still a road bike. I get it muddy. It's still a road bike. I've had it hopelessly bogged, stuck in rivers, stuck in the snow, stuck on logs in the forest....it's still a road bike.

Taking it to the South Pole will not make it a snow mobile.

Crossing deep water does not make it a Jet Ski.

You may get it off the ground, but it's no Super Hornet.

You can wear cammo and carry a hand gun with you, it's not a HumVee.

It's an all roads capable road bike. R O A D B I K E.

Accept it, move on, and have fun with it. Worked for me.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
michelsavage OP
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
Got it

So, if the F650GS is a road bike, maybe I should have kept my Intruder and save a bundle.

Yet, on the other hand, I'm committed to the twin and will try to make the best out of it. From now on, I'll treat it as a road bike and stay away from sand.

Yet, I feel I'm victim of hype/marketing...
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelsavage View Post
So, if the F650GS is a road bike, maybe I should have kept my Intruder and save a bundle.

Yet, on the other hand, I'm committed to the twin and will try to make the best out of it. From now on, I'll treat it as a road bike and stay away from sand.

Yet, I feel I'm victim of hype/marketing...
Look, so did I after my first decent of road trip on the F8.

It takes a very different style to get the most out of the overweight Strasse Frau. Riding mine with a pillion in the dirt gets really hairy, and it tests everything you think you know about bikes.

Can you do it...yes, absolutely. I've seen the story of a bloke riding an old Royal Enfield around the world, a lot of it off road. Does that make a Royal Enfield a dirt bike? By the logic used here it would.

The easiest way to learn...put some protection gear on it - crash bars, bashplate, case savers, barkbusters - and then start on dirt roads and work your way to the more adventurous stuff as you gain experience and confidence.

Marketing hype is the reason most people buy one. I think everyone suffers a little buyers remorse at some stage in their ownership, if they were open and honest with themselves.

When it comes to marketing face facts - if they could sell you shit by saying it tastes like chocolate...they would.

It's an unusual bike, in that it's light enough to be at the top end of the "Adventure Bike" class, powerful enough to be entertaining, versatile enough to do everything and cheap enough to still be a contender against the other players.

Do you think for a second BMW marketing doesn't know this?

As for the styling...the all important crucial aerodynamic beak etc....it's a Dakar styling exercise. It first appeared on Suzukis in the Dakar in the 70s. It isn't a BMW thing. It may have served a purpose back then, but now it's just there to establish an instant brand recognition...and it isn't even a BMW legacy, which is why I just laugh at the hype given to BMW engineers saying it's an all important aerodynamic tool. If you want to believe that...that's an issue for you. There is no Santa Klauz. Sorry.

Get some time up on the BMW and you'll come to love it, because of...or despite it's capabilities.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #29
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Af800gs have a fair chance of doing very well on tarmac twisties. You will outtake them on gravel, grass, sand, single tracks and you will outbalance them standing or sitting (garage turn stuff etc) in comparison with the road bikes. It is not an enduro bike (Enduro bikes lack the "dual" aspect of sport) and are not as "ready to adventure" on long trips as they are to race (i.e. they aim for a different type- and level of sportiness).

If we for a moment consider the word sport. I run but I am not a professional. I play golf but I am not a professional. I am simply part of the general population who like to sport. This is the type of sportiness that f800gs means when they say sport. The word dual in dual-sport indicates that you can use it for your road stuff as well as the off road stuff. Not in enduro competitions and not in any extreme way.

Next weekend I am going to Adventure Days where 700 adventure bike riders meat up for three days. Enduro bikes are banned. They have drawn the line at KTM 690 Enduro (allowed), g450x not allowed etc. Left to have fun at Adventure Days are the elephants (I saw one last year), transalps, BMW GS, XR, super- and not so super tenenrees etc etc. AKA Dual sport adventure bikes (I know the XR600 is not an adventure bike but tame enough to be allowed in)

Personally I do not see anything unclear in the definition of the GS bikes. It is a pretty large segment of bikes and most people know pretty well what you can and cannot do with these bikes. You don't make a chopper out of a race bike and you don't make an enduro bike out of the f800gs, tempting as it might be. That does however not stop us from once every while taking our bikes out for some enduro, although at different speeds than the real enduro bikes can manage.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #30
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Bingo.

It's more about the riders will and skill than it is the bikes design brief.

Look:

Dirty bike.

NOT "Dirt bike".

There's a difference.

Snowy screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 07:42 PM