Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #76
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi-baer View Post
Hello,

Somewhere out there is a video, showing Steve McQueen riding a moto cross bike having less travel than a regular street bike nowadays.

Still think what to buy

petzi-baer
Found it:
http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com.../07/husqvarna/

great site BTW
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #77
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by buelrdr29 View Post
I realize just by siting on an f800gs that is very limited in its offroad capabilities.
Not my experience. I recently managed a reasonably testing Enduro course that was being used as the practice for Dusk to Dawn (one of the UK's more challenging Enduros). I even took a wrong turn and went through the "hard" section into a quarry.

Was I as fast as good riders on 450s along it? No, but I wasn't embarrassingly slow, either.

I am not a Riding God by any stretch of the imagination. I just have an understanding of what you can do on them and have faith in the bike. Ground clearance is the limiting factor in their performance by a long way. Yes, if you want to do trials-style log pile climbs on it, you're going to need to be exceptionally gifted, but a hell of a lot of dirt riders can't do that (and never have any real interest in learning to do) on a 250, so I don't consider this a "show stopper" in terms of going on more challenging terrain.

It's not as capable in the dirt as an EXC-400, but if all you think it can do is drive down fire roads, you're dead wrong.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #78
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Not my experience. I recently managed a reasonably testing Enduro course that was being used as the practice for Dusk to Dawn (one of the UK's more challenging Enduros). I even took a wrong turn and went through the "hard" section into a quarry.

Was I as fast as good riders on 450s along it? No, but I wasn't embarrassingly slow, either.

I am not a Riding God by any stretch of the imagination. I just have an understanding of what you can do on them and have faith in the bike. Ground clearance is the limiting factor in their performance by a long way. Yes, if you want to do trials-style log pile climbs on it, you're going to need to be exceptionally gifted, but a hell of a lot of dirt riders can't do that (and never have any real interest in learning to do) on a 250, so I don't consider this a "show stopper" in terms of going on more challenging terrain.

It's not as capable in the dirt as an EXC-400, but if all you think it can do is drive down fire roads, you're dead wrong.
Well said sir! The 800 wont go as fast but will get there in the end.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #79
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
Well said sir! The 800 wont go as fast but will get there in the end.
Which makes a postmans bike a contender as a dual sport enduro tourer?

What?

Just sayin.....

I have a friend who rode one across Australia, and crossed deserts and shit with it. Not many F8s will go where that Postie bike has been. Not many dirt bikes will go where it's gone off road.

Doesn't make it an enduro tourer. Just makes him crazy. But we love him for it.

Think about it... it's his personality, tenacity, problem solving, and his own endurance that makes that bike an enduro tourer. It's got nothing to do with the bike being suited to it.

Mad as a hatter...but a top bloke.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #80
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Snowy, you've pretty much boxed yourself into a corner where you appear to be claiming that an F800 is a Harley Road King with some testicular PR. Walk yourself back from the ledge, man. It is a capable bike, no matter who's riding it. You don't have to be Superman to ride it through a patch of sand.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #81
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,160
I still can't believe how good it is on both ends of the spectrum. Not a motocrosser or a trials bike for sure, but I've gone to some seriously rough places with it, rocky Jeep trails and single track, it does just fine. Pretty darned nice on pavement too.
If I could only have one bike, this would be it.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #82
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelsavage View Post
i have zero experience off-road. Taking lessons is probably the only way to go. Thanks.
problem solved. the bike is capable, you just need to learn how to ride it. go see the F800GS videos to see how capable of a bike it is in stock form.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #83
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Snowy, you've pretty much boxed yourself into a corner where you appear to be claiming that an F800 is a Harley Road King with some testicular PR. Walk yourself back from the ledge, man. It is a capable bike, no matter who's riding it. You don't have to be Superman to ride it through a patch of sand.
Yeah and no. We're arguing over definitions.

As I said waaaay back when I first joined...understand that it isn't a dirt bike and you'll enjoy playing in the dirt with it.

Forget it for a moment, and it's an under sprung, heavy, and expensive bag of ass.

As for this "adventure" tag...it isn't the bike that makes riding an adventure. It's what you do with it.

As I keep saying...BMW so very nearly got it right.

But Enduro??? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... oh god...my spleen just burst.....

Just because you guys bought an F8 doesn't make it the greatest be all and end all bike of all time.

Keep telling BMW it is and they'll keep selling it as is. Keep covering it's inadequacies with platitudes to it's "name" and they'll keep selling them as is, as long as there's some uninformed fool with cash ready to buy one based on a fantasy about what it will do versus the reality what it can do.

I've ridden a 20 year old modified Boxer twin that was far superior in performance, weight, handling, suspension, and off road ability.

I still wish I'd bought it instead.

Here it is:

650 engine with modified 1000cc barrels and pistons. It measures 850cc and goes like lightning compared to the F8.

I was hitting 4 foot deep drains in Paul Rooneys front paddock and it loved it. I'd be worried my F8 would have snapped in half doing something similar.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:15 AM   #84
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

650 engine with modified 1000cc barrels and pistons. It measures 850cc and goes like lightning compared to the F8.

I was hitting 4 foot deep drains in Paul Rooneys front paddock and it loved it. I'd be worried my F8 would have snapped in half doing something similar.
HP2 prototype?

Looks sweet.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #85
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

No, this guy has built these for years. He has this one that is raced in the Australian Safari each year for about the last 10 I think. My mate was trying to tee me up as the rider this year, but I talked myself out of it. I took it for a spin early last year as part of the audition for the part. It helps if your friend that has talked you up shares this with you before you talk to the bloke supplying the ride. I thought we were just shooting the breeze and kicking tyres.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #86
B-B

Oddometer: 118
Think you all are splitting hairs over semantics. Some people are a bit loose with the term enduro I've noticed, and call any street legal bike with upside-down forks and offroad-ish tires an enduro. Others are pretty strict in referring to an enduro as a street legal dirt bike. I don't think anyone here will say the F650/F800 is a dirt bike; certainly not as it comes from BMW. I could be wrong though
B-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #87
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,545
Any one who mistakes this bike for a dirt bike or enduro, does not have enough experience to be riding a 500lb bike off road.

It is more than just a street bike. Its frame geometry, balance and ergonomics are way above street bike level for off pavement riding.

It is handicapped with budget suspension and lean low rpm fueling. Fix that and most of the criticism goes away.

But it still weighs 500lbs, has 9 inches of travel and about the same in ground clearance. Where you ride it depends on your skill level and a little common sense.

It gets a little comical, when some riders want the bike to be capable of single track and the others want to lard it up in order to ride pavement with their girlfriend and all their worldly belongings. It is a compromise bike. Pic the right mods and it will do either, just not as well as one designed for your particular purpose.

itsatdm screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 01:54 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #88
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
It is a compromise bike. Pic the right mods and it will do either, just not as well as one designed for your particular purpose.

Well said,
even with the compromises, it is good at a lot of things, but there will always be XXXX that is better at any one of those things.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #89
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Any one who mistakes this bike for a dirt bike or enduro, does not have enough experience to be riding a 500lb bike off road.

It is more than just a street bike. Its frame geometry, balance and ergonomics are way above street bike level for off pavement riding.

It is handicapped with budget suspension and lean low rpm fueling. Fix that and most of the criticism goes away.

But it still weighs 500lbs, has 9 inches of travel and about the same in ground clearance. Where you ride it depends on your skill level and a little common sense.

It gets a little comical, when some riders want the bike to be capable of single track and the others want to lard it up in order to ride pavement with their girlfriend and all their worldly belongings. It is a compromise bike. Pic the right mods and it will do either, just not as well as one designed for your particular purpose.

Yup. Eggzacery.

But in saying that, you'd like to think it could do the basics without breaking and bending stuff, they don't even sell them with a folding shift lever, which spells it out.

I mean...you know...basics...

...but it's fun. So conflicted. Want to hate it. But can't.

But it'll end up like the DR650. There'll be so many uses by owners, and so much aftermarket gear, that BMW will just keep churning them out unchanged for as long as we turn up and shell out to buy one.

Pity.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #90
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Yup. Eggzacery.

But in saying that, you'd like to think it could do the basics without breaking and bending stuff, they don't even sell them with a folding shift lever, which spells it out.

I mean...you know...basics...

...but it's fun. So conflicted. Want to hate it. But can't.

But it'll end up like the DR650. There'll be so many uses by owners, and so much aftermarket gear, that BMW will just keep churning them out unchanged for as long as we turn up and shell out to buy one.

Pity.
I don't think BMW will leave it unchanged for much longer .... I hear a revised model is coming in the next 12 months ... they have to compete with the 800XC after all.

It's a great bike because it isn't focused on one thing ... It's not an Enduro in the true sense,it's not a sport bike, but it is pretty good at being an all rounder. With a few mods to the suspension (XChallenge cartridges have succeeded beyond my expectations) and the power delivery, and maybe a steering damper ... it's not that bad offroad for such a big, heavy, powerful, bike. It's also quite good on the road as well .... which a real enduro bike isn't. It is also remarkably economical as well.

It lets you go touring on the road, touring off the bitumen, with or without a pillion, commute, play around off road and go interesting places in relative comfort. There are heaps of accessories and modifications for it and like the DR650 you can tailor it to be what you want.

If BMW want me to buy their new model I hope they manage to make it an F900GS with wider gear ratios, better suspension, better seats, more fuel capacity and no extra weight. Don't think I'll get what I want ... but who knows ? And it would take care of that uppity Triumph until it's next model !

Ducksbane screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 04:32 PM
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote