Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #121
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
.............. snip .............
These are externally adjustable. Compression adjustment is on the left, rebound is on the right, and pre-load is on
both fork legs.
That just does not seem right to me. How can that work if both forks don't have equal amounts of compression and rebound dialed in?

I had a bike that someone messed with the settings on while it was parked so one fork was set soft and the other firm in relation to each other. The bike did not feel right. Setting them back to the same fixed it.

Jon...
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #122
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,741
I would be interested in the required machine work. The cartridge looks similar to Bitubo/Stock except for what appears to be step on the end.

Machine work and return to stock does not seem compatible.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #123
VikB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
That just does not seem right to me. How can that work if both forks don't have equal amounts of compression and rebound dialed in?
Works on lots of bikes. You don't need dampening controls on both fork legs.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #124
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I would be interested in the required machine work. The cartridge looks similar to Bitubo/Stock except for what appears to be step on the end.

Machine work and return to stock does not seem compatible.

I'd be more interested in it...........machine work is not an issue for me, I have more than enough at work, the problem for me is $1650 + $350 labor= $2000 total + shipping both ways

The Traxxion is $1200 + $200 labor if they do it. and it seems like it's not that difficult to do the work. (indyunlimited has done several and is very happy with them, according to another thread)

I was considering Racetech but no reply to an email since Friday.

Email from Traxxion****************************************** ***************************
Hi David,

We have done quite a few of those, and have both a dirt oriented and a street oriented setup. The stock forks are non-adjustable, and the cartridges are non-rebuildable, so no valving upgrades are available. Our AK20s provide external preload, rebound and compression damping adjustments. The kit is $1199.95, and if you would like us to install it, we charge around $200 to service the forks and install the AK20s.

The Marzocchi forks are pretty bad. The AK20s are a big upgrade on any bike, but you will notice a huge difference coming from the stock Marzocchis. The AK20s firm up the front end, control brake dive better, and increase bump absorption.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Dan
************************************************** ***********************************
Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #125
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Yeah...different legs doing different things...I was thinking exactly what Ohlins thought..F800 is too heavy for a set up like that long term...

So...WW Ronin...your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to ride the wheels off the Ohlins equipped F800GS and report back on it's suitability. The fate of the free world rests on your shoulders.
I haven't ridden the wheels off yet but I have a couple thousand miles on it since the upgrade. For me it made a big difference in the dirt. I ride mainly in the Sierra Mountains where it is mainly dirt and lots of mixed rocky stuff (gravel sized up to baby heads). The front end defintiely feels more planted and just holds a line much better. I find that I not only ride many of my common rides faster but I can also stay seated on sections that I used to have to ride standing. I still dont use this bike much on single track, but that has more to do with the weight of the bike for me. I consider my off road skills to be moderate so take my impressions for what they are worth. I ride pavement on this bike primarily to get to the dirt so I estimate over half the miles I put on it are off pavement.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison

Ronin ADV screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 02:07 PM
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #126
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
if you wait a few months you can purchase the real f800gs plug and play inserts. No machining or sending forks back and forth required.

I would suspect that once Öhlins releases them on the market we will all notice it pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD