User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
herman maire OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Lester wheels + vetter air dam What are they worth

I have a set of lester wheels and vetter air damn from my R75/7 that I really want to get rid of. What is a fair price to ask?
The lester wheels need new bearings and I lost the bearing covers ( standard bmw item) .

The Vetter really needs to go!!!
herman maire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman maire View Post
I have a set of lester wheels and vetter air damn from my R75/7 that I really want to get rid of. What is a fair price to ask?
The lester wheels need new bearings and I lost the bearing covers ( standard bmw item) .

The Vetter really needs to go!!!
Complete Lesters range from $400-$600 and I'm not sure what a Vetter air damn is.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Nice set of Lesters get good money......but, I was told a long time ago by Joe Katz, a true BMW guru from Florida, to get rid of mine, as they had bearing problems with them. So, without question, I did. I'm sure other Airhead riders will
not agree, but that's my story.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoneshot View Post
Nice set of Lesters get good money......but, I was told a long time ago by Joe Katz, a true BMW guru from Florida, to get rid of mine, as they had bearing problems with them. So, without question, I did. I'm sure other Airhead riders will
not agree, but that's my story.

I've heard the bearing thing about lesters for years too. However thru chance I have two 76 /6's that came to me with lesters installed with a fair amount of miles on them and no problems. I think the real problem at the time when they first started installing them was improper installation. You had to set the bearing shims correctly or you would have problems. That being said I have never actually met anyone that claimed to ever have problems with a set of lesters. I'm sure some had problems or the story wouldn't have been so wide spread. I'm still running mine on one bike and I switched to stock spokes on the other just cuz I think it looks better. Again I think proper installation is the key. I really have no real preference for ether, each has good and bad points.
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbln View Post
I've heard the bearing thing about lesters for years too. However thru chance I have two 76 /6's that came to me with lesters installed with a fair amount of miles on them and no problems. I think the real problem at the time when they first started installing them was improper installation. You had to set the bearing shims correctly or you would have problems. That being said I have never actually met anyone that claimed to ever have problems with a set of lesters. I'm sure some had problems or the story wouldn't have been so wide spread. I'm still running mine on one bike and I switched to stock spokes on the other just cuz I think it looks better. Again I think proper installation is the key. I really have no real preference for ether, each has good and bad points.

^^^ my new-to-me 100s came with Lesters and I think they were dealer additions in 1977. I figured if they haven't failed in 35 years, they're probably going to be OK. I just installed new tires last week and inspected the bearings and everything was OK. Although they look cool, I might be tempted to put spoked wheels on it at some point
Old 06-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Complete Lesters range from $400-$600 .
Really?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,445
That's the price I would guess too. The Lester bearing issue is well known. Nothing wrong with the wheels. People installed them without adjusting the bearings. The bearing spacer always came too long so you could shorten it for the correct preload. Failing to do that got you loose bearings and a wobbly bike. A friend of mine called his Lester equipped bike his R90TS until he finally adjusted the bearings. TS stood for Tank Slapper. I would run Lesters tubeless if they were mine. That same friend did as well as a lot of others that I know of. Way safer. Easier to change tires and cheaper for no tube. Easier to repair most punctures. Win/Win IMO.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
lesters are a lot more common for airhead bmw's than japanese counterparts. i think $400.00 is about top end for the bmw fit ones. now if you had a pair for say, a kawasaki h2, or sohc honda four, $600ish to the right buyer dying for a set.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis power View Post
lesters are a lot more common for airhead bmw's than japanese counterparts. i think $400.00 is about top end for the bmw fit ones. now if you had a pair for say, a kawasaki h2, or sohc honda four, $600ish to the right buyer dying for a set.
Uhm... You might be correct but I've been screwing around with a 80 era Kawi that came stock with wheels that are the best copy of a Lester that I've ever seen and the bike was free! Matter of fact, the front wheel carries the same size tire as an Airhead. Who'da thought it...

OTOH, with Vintage BMW farkle prices rising so quickly, I'd think that Lesters would be going up too. My set is near mint needing only a repaint and I got em a few years ago (After a long search.) for $375 and a tank of gas. These days, I wouldnt turn around and sell em for $400! OTOH, I might consider trading em for a set of nice wires but then again, maybe not...!

That fairing is probably worthless unless you need a garden planter. Most guys have trouble giving em away.

PS: The easiest way to fix a set of Lester bearings, is to swap in a set of BMW bearings and the BMW spacer. Worked for me anyway.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 04:09 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
herman maire OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Thanks for the replys.

The original owner of my R75/7 rode around North America and all over South America and the bike was optioned with the
Lester wheels . He never had a problem with them and they are still in really nice condition, no scrapes or anything. They just need to be cleaned, a good polish and some paint.

If anybody is interested in buying the Lester wheels or has some parts to trade , I need a lot of items . To start, I need a nice set of manifolds and mufflers .

As for the Vetter, if anybody is interested, you can have it, just pay shipping . It seems a shame to throw it out, its still a really nicely made item and definitely serves a purpose.
herman maire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
lots of Lesters on early Goldwings also. As to the Vetter, most people try to give them away and cannot find a taker untill after it has gone into the dumpster. it is only when there are no free ones to be found that you find somebody that wants one. The one I have is being parted out. the headlight adjuster is going to France and the turn signals are going to Oklahoma. what is left is getting cut up and put into the dumpster.
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,642
Back when my friend Lapp still had his repair shop in Alexandria, Va. He had 8 or 10 Vetters and other barn door type fairings sitting outside next to the trash. Anybody was free to help themselves to a complete fairing or parts any time they wished. The trash men didn't even want them. If the windshield is any good somebody might want it for a spare but they are generally hard to give away.

It's a shame really. In their day they served their purpose and many of us appreciated them for miles of dryer protection.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote