ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
flyinghorse OP
Thank you Herbert Spencer

Oddometer: 1,218
West Magnolia Trails Closed 355 network

The entire 355 network of trails is closed to all motor vehicles, mountain bikes, hikers, anglers, and all persons of all sorts using any form of locomotion including their own 2 feet.

The US Forest (Closure) Service has erected barricades and posted closure notices. They say "Public safety closure heavy equipment and falling trees"....etc. I hope this is a quick closure, but from the look of the fences erected I doubt it.

The 105 trails are not affected by this closure.

The Forest service might have more on their website but I'm too lazy to click a few times to find out.
2014 KTM 500XC-W, 2009 WR450F,1988 ZB50, 1974 MR 50 Elsinore, 1981 CT70 with a 125 Lifan AKA Suicycle, 2006 Sikk MX125, 2007 Scorpa SY250F long ride, 2003 KLX110, 2008 CRF70, 2001 XR50 for sale in SoCal
flyinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
Bitter sweet

West mag is closed for the summer.
The forest service does not want anyone to see them clear cutting while they simultaneously criticize our single tracks.... Double standard or in the name of public good? Have you been up by Gold Lake recently? It looks like the apocalypse came early.

Steve Mcqueen
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,962
Thumbs down

There is a map somewhere but I can't find it either. It going to make what they did by gold lake look like a minor pruning.
Huge swaths of trees are going to be clear cut.

I was up by gold lake yesterday, none of the clearing is contiguous so I can't see how it will slow down the pine beetles.

Someone post the map so all of us tree huggers can do something about it.

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,061
The cutting plan has been changed from "clear cut" to "heavy selective cutting", so there should be at least 2 or 3 aspens left when they're done. The cutting patch will only be around the Hobbit trails (the main mountainbike area), but everything through there, including 355/105, and the parking areas will be shutdown during the work. Current projected reopening date isn't until September, and then BMA is going to be in there most the fall rebuilding the mountainbike trails.

Anyone that's used to riding the stuff nearby will find it blanketed in downed trees this year from the winter wind storms. We need to get in a few chainsaw days to get anything worth riding.

Closure maps and status can be found here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/la...telprdb5355381

I wouldn't recommend poaching the closure order: "Violation of this regulation is punishable as a Class B misdemeanor, by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, or both. 16 U.S.C. 551, and 18, U.S.C. 3559 and 3571."

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Rampart did the same work over the winter. Parts of the forest appear to have been hit by mortar rounds.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Disquisitive Dave
Not so wise fool

Oddometer: 457
I've done almost zero riding this season and haven't paying attention to what's open or closed. I finally got out yesterday and was making my way from Kingston northbound. I thought I'd pass through West Magnolia, but was greeted with:

A closure order to protect us from the dangerous loggers. Thank you nanny government.

"This order goes into effect upon signing and shall remain in effect until rescinded." It was signed September 5. I guess plans have changed since spring?

Oh well, it provided an excuse to divert and go abuse my mirrors in the tree tunnel.
[1913 Webster]
Disquisitive Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer: 3,887
Probably the closure is to protect USFS from a lawsuit when a falling tree takes out some doofus who is too silly to stay away from logging equipment.

At a USFS meeting in Laramie, the talk was that there needed to be a 75' treeless buffer to each side of trails, roads, public ways, etc. Needless to say, all of the attendees (MC & ATV users mostly) were alarmed at the aesthetic effect this would have on the trails. Clearing like this was done at Snyder Creek in some areas.

Does this mean the tree tunnel at Magnolia will be no more?
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
thump_co
..ouch

Current word is it may remain closed up through next June. Contractor is behind due to crews being pulled for fire work last summer and they'll have to shut it down again for a few months over winter for elk migration. Contractually they have a year to get it done.

There is no real reason for 355 to be closed though, the road itself is in fine shape... Or at least I've been told, because of course I've not been back there.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
mrgem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Shoulda Just Used Agent Orange

The good news: Much of West Mag is reopened. The bad news: 300 acres of the area south of Haul Road look like this now:

http://bouldermountainbike.org/conte...-magnolia-info

West Mag has been one of my favorites for years. I can ride out of my garage and all the way to 355 with only having to ride on 1/4 mile of pavement. I could jump on E. Portal and go to the top of Rollins Pass or up Mammoth Gulch, over James Peak and down to St. Mary's glacier. Or I could go over to Central City and ride those trails, again, only hitting the pavement for about a quarter mile on the north side of Gross Dam Reservoir. I'm pretty certain (but haven't ridden it) that I could drop down into Idaho Springs and work my way over to over to Georgetown and over Guanella Pass into Park County

It was ideal for me -- I really hope they haven't screwed it up as badly as those pictures make it appear.
mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgem View Post
The good news: Much of West Mag is reopened. The bad news: 300 acres of the area south of Haul Road look like this now:

http://bouldermountainbike.org/conte...-magnolia-info

West Mag has been one of my favorites for years. I can ride out of my garage and all the way to 355 with only having to ride on 1/4 mile of pavement. I could jump on E. Portal and go to the top of Rollins Pass or up Mammoth Gulch, over James Peak and down to St. Mary's glacier. Or I could go over to Central City and ride those trails, again, only hitting the pavement for about a quarter mile on the north side of Gross Dam Reservoir. I'm pretty certain (but haven't ridden it) that I could drop down into Idaho Springs and work my way over to over to Georgetown and over Guanella Pass into Park County

It was ideal for me -- I really hope they haven't screwed it up as badly as those pictures make it appear.
The devastation is contained primarily to the front section. Everything SW of the 355/105 intersection is still the same. From a mountainbiker/hiker perspective the area is hosed, from a moto perspective, you've lost maybe 10 minutes of scenery.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,232
I used to explore that on my mtb. From the pics, it looks like they hacked it up pretty good.

Reading the web page, they said it was done to reduce fire load and do something with the beetles. Anyone know if they plan to plant or just let nature take it's course?
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
mrgem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
So you've been over there?

Looks like they literally clearcut that area. How the heck are they gonna hold the soil in place this summer when it rains?

As you said, though, we are talking about a couple of miles of trail.
mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
I used to explore that on my mtb. From the pics, it looks like they hacked it up pretty good.

Reading the web page, they said it was done to reduce fire load and do something with the beetles. Anyone know if they plan to plant or just let nature take it's course?
I think the WRV folks will probably do some volunteer planting after all the work is done (maybe some grants to?), but for the most part it's planned to let nature do it's thing.

Word is that BoCo also plans to do some cutting around the Dots as well.

EDIT - Yes, been over there. Live close.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
I think the WRV folks will probably do some volunteer planting after all the work is done (maybe some grants to?), but for the most part it's planned to let nature do it's thing.

Word is that BoCo also plans to do some cutting around the Dots as well.
Ugh. Hopefully, not the trees with the dots. That's some nice riding there.

The place I used to baby sit is over on Porter Ranch. Ride down to the dots, into Ned. Coffee at Cool Beans and then back home.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
no2tracks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
They did the same out in the 717 system. Turned nice flowy singletrack into endurocross tracks.
no2tracks is offline   Reply With Quote