Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #76
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatusj View Post
Sounds like fun was had with some still paying for it.

Isn't that cane in the wrong hands?

Oooooh Noooo............the cane is in the right hands .........the gentleman standing up let GP borrow it until his ankle got better.....he said he has plenty of canes around the place.

GP is walking better without the use of the cane.

We will be doing another ride to Castell soon to return the cane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
If GP would put a tire on that XR he might get more grip! Looks like I missed a good one!
He is still riding with a slick knobby. A new tire might have made a difference.

He was going the same speed I was........he might have been fixated on the fence instead of the turn......so the bike gravitated toward the fence.
bikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #77
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,420
I love those roads up and down the Llano river.

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #78
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

BlaSt from The pAst....Sunday.....3/3/13

This is a "No Drop Ride". Faster riders will wait at the next intersection where we will be turning for the slower riders to catch up. Always check your mirror to make sure the rider behind you is still behind you. If they are not....slow down or stop and see if they catch up....if they don't catch up, turn around and go back to check on them. This may cause the whole group to double back, but it ensures safety for all.

The only requirement for this ride is to have your MC license, and that your bike have current registration and inspection. I will not be checking....but if you are stopped by any law enforcement officers....I am sure they will be checking. Helmets and safety gear are strongly suggested. I take no responsibility for anyone else’s actions. This is a fun ride.....lets keep it that way.

If you plan on attending please post up so we have an idea who's riding.

Here is the itinerary...........

When: Sunday March 3, 2013

Where: Meet at Backwoods, located in the western end of the Hill Country Galleria, 12921 Hill Country Blvd Ste D2-145, Bee Cave, TX 78738.....in the rear parking lot at 8:30 a.m.

Kick stands up at 9:00 a.m.

If we know someone is coming, and they haven't arrived by 9:00 a.m.....we will wait approximately 15 to 20 minutes for them to show up. If you need to contact me........please call me at five 1 two - 4 two three - zero 8 8 nine.

There is gasoline near the meeting area to top off your tank.

Destination: Points Known and Unknown

We will stop in Castell for lunch……they do steaks and it is cash only….and it is good!

You may want to bring a snack and bring water......stay hydrated.....drink plenty of water starting days prior to any outdoor activities.

If we end up in Luckenbach........take cash....or you can use their ATM located next to the Post Office.....they don't do plastic.

Get back to the South Lake Travis area around 6:00 p.m.

Thanks all......
Britt Jones (bikejones)
2008 Honda XR650L

in.....

bikejones
DoctorXRR
Fixed
Cagiva65
slowoldguy - Castell
sm42 - Round Mountain
cjm1219 - Round Mountain
KingsIndian
kingham
neoxaero

maybe....

SauceSquatch

bikejones screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 04:22 AM
Old 03-03-2013, 04:26 AM   #79
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We have about 7 or more riders meeting in Bee Caves......we are meeting at least 2 or more riders in Round Mountain.....and then we are meeting slowoldguy and possibly a few more riders in Castell for a steak lunch.....awesome folks............awesome weather........awesome roads.......especially the dirty ones = Good Times!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #80
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Blast from the Past......03032013.......Ride Report

Once again an awesome ride with awesome riders…….no spills but there were a few thrills. :

We also delivered the walking cane, that the proprietor of the Castell Country Store lent to GlockPointer after he become one with a steel rail fence :zen: and tweaked his ankle, back to its original owner.

Here are a few of us at the meeting place………behind Backwoods in Bee Caves Texas….on the Hwy 71 West side of the store.

We proceeded to head west to meet up with sm42 and cjm12 in Round Mountain and eventually meet up with slowoldguy in Castell.

After meeting up with sm42 and cjm1219 in Round Mountain we headed down the pavement just a few more miles to get to the dirt……..

Even though it was the day after Texas Independence Day………I couldn’t resist this photo-op……..Texas runs deep in me.......very deep.

Playing around in Sandy Creek…….

After riding through the short water crossing in Sandy Creek, Ken wanted to show us how he uses his motorcycle to dig for water in the dry section of the creek bed…….notice the moisture in the sand…….it also serves as a bike stand so that you can dismount and assess the progress.

While we were still in Sandy Creek, slowoldguy came upon us on his way to meeting us in Castell.

Everything was going well until we got to the intersection of 2323 and CR109.

I turned on my blinker and started to turn right on CR109……but my thinking process kicked in……..I was thinking about CR106 so since I didn’t see the CR106 sign I turned off the blinker and kept going straight down 2323 for a few miles until I finally remembered that you have to go down 109 to get to 106…….duh!

So we backtracked to CR109……..and that folks………was the adventure part of the ride.

We got to Castell………returned the cane…….and had some great steaks……Good Times!!!

While eating lunch I got a chance to get some valuable advice from oldslowguy about some of the dirt roads in this area.

We had a couple of bikes with 2 gallon tanks that were in need of petro…..so after lunch we headed to Llano to top off the gas tanks……..and oldslowguy headed back to West of Waco.

After topping off the tanks in Llano we rode a few un-paved and paved county roads then ended up at Angel’s in Spicewood to let the bikes cool down.

Awesome ride y’all………let’s do it again soon!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #81
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 799
Looks like fun

I'm new to the Roundrock area having arrived yesterday, with my portly GSA in the toyhauler. I'm a decent dirt rider, but my WR450 is still back in CO so I would like to explore on some gravel or paved routes without the deep sand. I'd love to get shown around the hill country if anyone wants to be tour guide sometime in the next week or so. I have Anakee 2's on the BMW so I avoid sand at all costs :-) PM me if up for it.

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #82
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,988
Well. While waiting for Brit's next shindig....This is coming up next weekend. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866618

More than a few heading from the Austin/RR area up.

And as far as sand goes around here, Sandy Creek on 315 is as bad as it gets (and it ain't that bad even on the biggest pigs because it is relatively short in length and sometimes bladed). The road is worth it. Just don't get off the track.

The other "sandy" or "loose" roads are just 1"-4" stuff.

Near Lake Proctor you can get some deeper stuff. Not a fan of sand even when I'm on my KiLleR. Like you, I hate it on the Big Ugly.

For backroad riding around CenTex a lot of us use an Anakee rear (or Tourance or Shinko 705) and a TKC80 front. Handles great on the street and gets reasonable mileage. Rear knobs die quickly around here.

In fact, you might even find the Big Jugged Bavarian girl to be your dirt road weapon of choice. Just not a lot of technically challenging public roads for the WR450. When dry. Which has been pretty much all the time the last few years.;)

Oh. And a big "Welcome to CenTex". It might not be Colorado jeep trails , but we still manage to have a shitload of fun. Come see us.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 08:46 AM
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #83
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Ed View Post
I'm new to the Roundrock area having arrived yesterday, with my portly GSA in the toyhauler. I'm a decent dirt rider, but my WR450 is still back in CO so I would like to explore on some gravel or paved routes without the deep sand. I'd love to get shown around the hill country if anyone wants to be tour guide sometime in the next week or so. I have Anakee 2's on the BMW so I avoid sand at all costs :-) PM me if up for it.
Welcome to Texas Ed.

Like slowoldguy said, the dirt roads west of here aren't too sandy.

As long as you stay relaxed, keep your speed at least 45mpg, except for some of the sharp turns.....and your eyes open and brakes ready for critters......it's all good!

If the weather is half decent next weekend we will head out somewhere.

Is Saturday or Sunday best for you?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #84
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Saturday 03/16/2013

This is a "No Drop Ride". Faster riders will wait at the next intersection where we will be turning for the slower riders to catch up. Always check your mirror to make sure the rider behind you is still behind you. If they are not....slow down or stop and see if they catch up....if they don't catch up, turn around and go back to check on them. This may cause the whole group to double back, but it ensures safety for all.

The only requirement for this ride is to have your MC license, and that your bike have current registration and inspection. I will not be checking....but if you are stopped by any law enforcement officers....I am sure they will be checking. Helmets and safety gear are strongly suggested. I take no responsibility for anyone else’s actions. This is a fun ride.....lets keep it that way.

If you plan on attending please post up so we have an idea who's riding.

Here is the itinerary...........

When: Saturday March 16, 2013

Where: Meet at Backwoods, located in the western end of the Hill Country Galleria, 12921 Hill Country Blvd Ste D2-145, Bee Cave, TX 78738.....in the rear parking lot at 8:30 a.m.

If we know someone is coming, and they haven't arrived by 9:00 a.m.....we will wait approximately 15 to 20 minutes for them to show up. If you need to contact me........please call me at five 1 two - 4 two three - zero 8 8 nine.

Destination: Somewhere westward to get to the dirt roads

We will stop somewhere for lunch……if we go to Castell……they do steaks (get the rib-eye) and it is cash only….and it is good!

You may want to bring a snack and bring water......stay hydrated.....drink plenty of water starting days prior to any outdoor activities.

If we end up in Luckenbach........take cash....or you can use their ATM located next to the Post Office.....they don't do plastic.

Get back to the Bee Cave/Lake Travis area around before dark.

Thanks all......
Britt Jones (bikejones)
2008 Honda XR650L

In
Bikejones
SauceSquatch
my6

Maybe......
AusTWAdv

bikejones screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 09:00 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #85
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

03/16/13 ATHCDSDT Ride Report

On a day that you could not ask for better weather…….maybe a little less wind…….but not better weather…….another Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trip was logged into the record book.

Saucesquatch, my6 and I met at Backwoods in Bee Caves, made our formal acquaintances, discussed various motorcycle topics, and at 9:15am we proceeded to ride into the wind………literally!!!!!

Our destination…………..Castell.

Our purpose………….because it is there…….and because they have BBQ.

We were riding against the clock on this trip, so we didn’t stop for too many pictures or breaks.

We did stop to top off the tanks at the Shell in Round Mountain and were quickly on our way again at 10:15am.
Our route took us down the ever so scenic county roads in this area……….including CR315…….

The locals must have known we were riding against the clock…………so they made sure that this ride through open range included a typical Texas Traffic Jam……..

This particular traffic jam immediately transformed into a Texas Traffic Calming Device……whereas the cows proceeded to walk down the middle of the road………and would not move to either side to allow us to pass………..for a quarter of a mile or so. I was tempted to ride the bar ditch and pass them but I didn’t want to make them run.

After all………a fat cow is a tasty cow………..I mean……a happy cow.

There were quite a few wet creek crossings…………one of which Saucesquatch tested his riding skills by sliding sideways…….with the shiny side up of course.

Here is the classic and ever so popular Sandy Creek crossing where Saucesquatch………and then my6…………really made a splash……..

Saucesquatch………

my6……..

We stopped briefly in Sandy Creek to discuss the exposed rocks on the hills we had passed. I mentioned to Saucesquatch and my6 that one of the hills appears to have a cave that you can see from the county road.
After arriving in Castell at approximately 12:10pm, we were very lucky to find an empty picnic table in the shade…..which we gladly shared with other folks.

Soon after we ate, we were on the road again, headed back to Austin. To save time, our plan was to take the same route….however……..I took a wrong right turn (as opposed to a correct left turn) which lead us a couple of miles out of the way. We could have proceeded the way we were going, but it would have added more time to our travels, so we doubled back the way we came.

This slight detour gave us the opportunity to ride some 4” inch +/- thick sugar sand.

Once we were back on track, we stopped to see the cave in the hill. While we were stopped, we were passed by a half dozen jeeps going in the opposite directions……at least they were a friendly bunch of folks as we all said hi, hello and howdy as they went on their way.

We proceeded down CR315 to 308 and 310 to take Saucesquatch to HWY 71 so he could make a little better time getting back to Austin.
My6 and I backtracked up 310 and 310A.

When we got to 3347, we planned on doing a loop along Smith/West Road to 1323 to CR307 and back up Hwy 281 to get gas at the Shell.
However, my6’s gas tank had a different plan.

After switching to reserve while riding down 3347……then………..a mile or two later on 972……….my6 had to lean the bike over to get to the special reserve……...then again in another mile or so…….we leaned the bike over into the bar ditch to get to the extra special reserve…….

Therefore, my6’s gas tank decided that we would get gas first………then do 281 to 307 to 1323 to Smith/West Rd and back to 972.

Still, it was a great addition to the ride……..my6 and I even did a slight detour to a granite quarry with a very enticing pond……..enticing on a hotter day in the near future that is.

As with all of these rides….we encountered a lot of wildlife……..of special interest were the 8 to 10 deer that jumped a fence within a safe distance yet close enough to have to slow down and proceeded to crossed the road and jump the other fence………another instance was a half dozen or so turkeys that took flight as we got close to them. Several times we were in the close vicinity of skunks…..you can tell by their smell in the air…..but luckily we didn’t encounter them directly.

It was great meeting and riding with you Saucesquatch and my6…….let’s do it again,
Britt

And from Saucesquatch......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceSquatch View Post
Had a blast today, we have to do this again soon.

P.S. I've been burping that BBQ all day and smiling like only good 'Q can do. :mrgreen:
Old 03-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #86
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,420
Wow! That looked like real water. Was it actually there or trucked in for the photo shoot? ha!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #87
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone interested in riding on Sunday, 4/14/13.....and if you are.....where do you want to go????

I have obligations this Saturday so that leaves Sunday as my only riding day this weekend.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #88
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Saturday 6/8/13...........Un Ano
When: Saturday June 8, 2013

If we know someone is coming, and they haven't arrived by 9:00 a.m.....we will wait approximately 15 to 20 minutes for them to show up.

If you need to contact me........please call five 1 two - 4 two three - zero 8 8 nine.

Destination: Points Known and Unknown.

Bring water......stay hydrated.....drink plenty of water starting days prior to any outdoor activities.

We will probably stop in Castell for lunch......they have all kinds of good BBQ and cold beverages. Take cash....or you can use their ATM.....they just started taking plastic recently too.

After lunch the plan is to cross the Llano and ride north to Whoknowswhere, Texas.

You may want to bring a snack.

Depending on where we go, I plan on getting back to the Lake Travis area around 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.......maybe earlier.

In....
bikejones
thunter

Maybe....
Glockpointer
Cagiva65
Old 06-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #89
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well.......it's been one year since these rides started and every one of them has been great.

However, back in May, after some us had left Albert Ice House, a few riders stayed behind. When they left Albert and were on their way home to Blanco, sadly, one young man, Ash, failed to negotiate a curve and perished. That was a very somber ending to what had been a great day.

So as kojack06 said....."Be alert and safe!"

thunter (Tyler) and I met up today (06/08/2013) at Backwoods in Bee Cave, Tx.

We were treated with an aerial enticement before the ride...........

thunter and his 2013 R1200------------nice!!!!!

My buddy the bull......

A few weeks ago he....or one of his friends thought it would be cool to chase me down the road.

Well today he was standing guard at the cattle guard.

Actually.....he was eyeing some female bovines that were hanging out on the other side of the cattle guard.

He let me snap a couple of pics of him before I herded him off the road and over to the fence line so we could ride by without any trouble.

A much more docile setting.............

Good Times!!!!!

Thanks thunter!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #90
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hill Country dirt road ride this Sunday, 7/28/2013

Hill Country dirt road ride this Sunday, 7/28/2013......

Anyone in San Antonio or anywhere west of Austin.....we could meet you around 10:15am at the Shell Station, 10541 North US Hwy 281, Round Mountain, TX 78663, gas up and head to the dirt from there. Round Mountain is a few miles north of Johnson City.

For folks around the Austin area.......meet at Backwoods, located in the western end of the Hill Country Galleria, 12921 Hill Country Blvd Ste D2-145, Bee Cave, TX 78738.....in the rear parking lot closest to Hwy 71 at 8:30 a.m.

If we know someone is coming, and they haven't arrived by 9:00 a.m.....we will wait approximately 15 to 20 minutes for them to show up.

If you need to contact me........please call me at five 1 two - 4 two three - zero 8 8 nine.

bring water......stay hydrated.....drink plenty of water starting days prior to any outdoor activities.

We may either go to Castell General Store or The Burger Bar in Llano for lunch.

Thanks all......
bikejones
2008 Honda XR650L