Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #121
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
I'm reading this thread with great interest. I bought a home in Wimberley and will be moving down in the next couple months so i will need people who love to ride off the beaten path to show me around !
We can do that........stay tuned...........
bikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #122
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday.....10/06/2013......Bring it on.......Cooler Weather Coming.....an 11,014 word story...

At Backwoods………

Creek Road………..

Bowling Alley…………

Luckenbach Texas…………..

Harry’s Open…………..

Knocked UP……………

Dollar Nest………….

Old 10-10-2013, 02:59 AM   #123
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Weather Permitting……..The Dirty Harry Ride…….Saturday Oct. 19, 2013.........

No Clint Eastwood cameo’s……..but he’s more than welcome to ride with us if he were to show up…….

Like the flyer below says…….”Cash Only”………..so please bring cash for your purchases at Harry’s.

This ride is "weather permitting".......Harry's will probably have their Grand Opening rain or shine......

These are always a "No Drop Ride". Faster riders will wait at the next intersection where we will be turning for the slower riders to catch up. Always check your mirror to make sure the rider behind you is still behind you. If they are not....slow down or stop and see if they catch up....if they don't catch up, turn around and go back to check on them. This may cause the whole group to double back, but it ensures safety for all.

The only requirement for this ride is to have your MC license, and that your bike have current registration and inspection. I will not be checking....but if you are stopped by any law enforcement officers....I am sure they will be checking. Helmets and safety gear are strongly suggested. I take no responsibility for anyone else’s actions. This is a fun ride.....let’s keep it that way.

If you plan on attending please post up so we have an idea who's riding……..or you can just show up…….but please be there by 9am.
Here is the itinerary...........

When: Saturday October 19, 2013

Where: Meet at Backwoods, located in the western end of the Hill Country Galleria near Dillards, 12921 Hill Country Blvd Ste D2-145, Bee Cave, TX 78738.....in the rear parking lot at 8:30 a.m.

Kick stands up at 9:00 a.m.

If we know someone is coming, and they haven't arrived by 9:00 a.m.....we will wait approximately 15 to 20 minutes for them to show up.

There is gasoline near the meeting area to top off your tank.

Destination: Somewhere westward to get to the dirt roads…….then back to Willow City Loop and stop at Harry’s for their Grand Opening……….i.e., Dirt Roads + Harry’s on the Loop = Dirty Harry Ride……..

Harry’s may have a BBQ trailer set up……if so…….we will probably eat there. Please remember to bring ca$h…..

You may want to bring a snack and bring water......stay hydrated.....drink plenty of water starting days prior to any outdoor activities.

If for any reason we end up in Luckenbach........take cash....or you can use their ATM located next to the Post Office.....they don't do plastic.
Get back to the Bee Cave/Lake Travis area before dark.

Thanks all......
Britt Jones (bikejones)
2008 Honda XR650L

In……………….
bikejones
Old 10-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #124
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,427
Maybe we'll see you in Luckenbach!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #125
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,132
Should be a bit crowded in Luckenbach. A few more than Waylon , Willie, and the boys. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #126
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep.........the Harvest Classic will be in Luckenbach that same weekend.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #127
B00001
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
In! Weather permitting. I will have to take it down a couple notches from last time though, you'll see why when I get there....

B.
B00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #128
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

B00001, we will be taking it easier than the last ride......weather should be good.....the streets may be a little wet in the morning but the rain should be finished by the time we start riding.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:30 AM   #129
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Is anyone else having trouble with editing posts???

Sometimes the text of the post I want to edit doesn't display
Old 10-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #130
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikejones View Post
Is anyone else having trouble with editing posts???

Sometimes the text of the post I want to edit doesn't display
Since it won't let me edit.........here is the rider list (combined from ADVrider and TWTEX)........

bikejones
j blankenship
chiricahua
Cykel
B00001
Infidel
rawhide
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #131
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Dirty Harry Ride, Sat. 10/19/2013......Great turn out.......great weather........and a great ride.......

B00001, j_blankenship and Cykel at Backwoods......

ThomasM and onefishtwofish showed up a few minutes later......chiricahua showed up just after ThomasM and onefishtwofish topped off their tanks in Bee Cave.

Our usual stop at the Shell in Round Mountain was supposed to get us two more riders from SA, rawhide and Infidel.......rawhide posted up that he couldn't make it and since I am without a cel phone at the moment we haven't heard from Infidel at that point.
We ended up waiting a few minutes more at the Shell station to fix a flat on chiricahua's KLR.........

The dirt roads were in pretty good shape and there were not many wet creek crossings on the pre-Harry's ride. Only CR310 had a two flows over the same crossing at Sandy Creek.
We took a short break near the top of the Willow City Loop to take in the views..........

We stopped at Harry's on the Loop a little after noon to grab some lunch. Harry's doesn't typically serve food but since it was their grand opening with the new owners they contracted a food sales trailer that had good burgers and BBQ.

While at Harry's.......some old iron showed up........the Harvest Classic was going on over in Luckenbach so it was good to see these bikes doing what they were meant to do.....ride the twisties on the Willow City Loop

Harry's has a neighbor just down RM1323 that is a Vietnam Vet and Air Force War Bird......his annual reunion was held at the same time and we received a special treat of a War Bird air show.....I kick myself for taking photos instead of video as they were doing loops and other fancy flying manuevers.......Thanks to all you Vets out there!!!!! :patriot: : :chug:

Cykel, chiricahua and B00001 took off after our stop at Harry's, so j_blankenship, onefishtwofish, ThomasM and myself continued to make the Dirty Harry Ride even dirtier.

The post-Harry's ride on CR110, Keyserville Rd. CR105 and CR109 yielded quite a few wet crossings.......with the everyone keeping the shiney side up.

Thanks again everyone for the great ride......

bikejones
Old 10-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #132
Motardhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
When is the next ride planned? I would love to make my way up from Corpus Christi to ride with you guys. There is nowhere cool to ride down here, except along the beach in a straight line.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #133
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motardhead View Post
When is the next ride planned? I would love to make my way up from Corpus Christi to ride with you guys. There is nowhere cool to ride down here, except along the beach in a straight line.
I'm not sure exactly when the next ride will be.......I'm waiting on a new rear tire to be delivered.

Once the new tire is on I will schedule a ride.

One of these days I would like to take the bike to Port A and Corpus and ride straight lines down the beach.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #134
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 629
Hi from Winnipeg Canada

GREAT THREAD!
Over the last 7 or 8 years I've been in hill country 3 different Januarys. Every time I rented a Harley and had a good time with the GF exploring. The last time I brought my KLR along and after a week's ride on the Harley she flew home and I stayed to explore on the dualsport. I booked a room at a cheap motel in New Braunfels and used it as a home base. Was hoping to do another winter get away (it's mighty cold up here...I do enjoy ice riding but...)
GF flew the coupe and so now I'm on my own again. Just in the planning stages but thought I'd throw it out out there. Would drive my van down with either the KLR or Weestrom in the back and look for an affordable room(s) somewhere. Ideally I'd like to hook up with another adv'er up north, (that' will be difficult to put together I'm thinking) to share travelling costs on the way down and back. Don't really have any plans as to when I'd come down or for how long. Thinking maybe late Jan to early March for a ride of somewhre between a week or two or ?. Would be great to hook up with a fellow adv'er or two, to ride the hills. Also since I'm retired and on a limited budget sharing motel or other accomodation costs would be desireable. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...haha
If you want to discuss any possibilities give me a PM and I'll forward my phone number. Looking forward to the chance of a Hill Country adventure again this winter.

Mark
Old 11-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #135
bikejones OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Mark.....as you know......we typically have about 300 riding days a year........359 if we are in a drought......just kidding, but almost true.

We would love for you to come down and ride the hill country with us.

I've been planning to start exploring more areas to southwest like Bandera, Kerrville etc...which would be pretty close to New Braunfels.

Keep in touch.......and post up when you plan on coming down and we will put something together.

Ride safe and ride often,
Britt Jones