User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
89 r100gs where me spark gone.....

I have had intermittent troubles with this bike,currently i have a barely srviceable battery which makes for interesting starting rituals.The last ceremony left me with a 300 m uphill push ...just a click when the button was pushed ,not even a 90 amp hr car battery would work.That seems to have been solved and she crakns(slowish) and only a few times before there is just clicking from the starter motor(I know that is purely battery related) BUT I dont think i have a spark,Its almost like the beancan has gone again(recently fitted a new trigeer to the can.What are the procedures to test bean can and ECU and coil please.
On the battery front,has anyone had a SHORAI Li battery with an airhead?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,224
Hall effect sensors don't work with low voltage. Get a new battery and let us now if that fixed it.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Hall effect sensors don't work with low voltage. Get a new battery and let us now if that fixed it.
That's gold right there!! I'll remember that

advnzer I have been using a motobatt for a year or so - the smallest one I felt comfortable getting & have had no probs with charging/draining. I do get paranoid & hook it to a battery optimiser every now & then but never seems to need a charge. I've seen the a bike fitted with the recommended motobatt one & it's almost the same size as the stock one - maybe a good idea if you're months away from a battery charger but a lot of overkill as far as weight goes imo.

Edbear is doing deals for kbers i think from memory.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
T800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
On the battery front,has anyone had a SHORAI Li battery with an airhead?
There's a very long thread here http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...shorai+battery on batteries, including the Shorai. My opinion is they are just too expensive and haven't been out long enough to get a feel on longevity. Odyssey is probably your best bang for the buck currently.

On your problem, you sure your starter isn't about to die? They'll draw some serious amperage when they are on the way south. If it won't crank fast off a 90Ah car battery I'd say your trouble is elsewhere (assuming I understood correctly).
T800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
advNZer? OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by T800 View Post
There's a very long thread here http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...shorai+battery on batteries, including the Shorai. My opinion is they are just too expensive and haven't been out long enough to get a feel on longevity. Odyssey is probably your best bang for the buck currently.

On your problem, you sure your starter isn't about to die? They'll draw some serious amperage when they are on the way south. If it won't crank fast off a 90Ah car battery I'd say your trouble is elsewhere (assuming I understood correctly).
i will look into that but the starter has recently had a partial overhaul..its had a good clean out and new brushes.
It was confirmed today the battery is had it.(load test.)
First step is a new battery anyway,and although i am intruiged aboutthe shorais i think i will stick to a std battery