User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
garthg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Piaggio Beverly 300 in Rome Italy

This topic is a little out of my usual area, but I recently had the pleasure of renting a Piaggio Beverly 300 to get around Rome, Italy and environs. In short, it was a blast!

A scooter is definitely the best way to get around Rome. Easy to park, super maneuverable with its short wheelbase, and step-through design makes getting off and on super easy. It helped greatly to have a GPS (Tom-Tom suction-cupped onto the speedometer). Rome is full of one-way streets, and getting from point A to point B can take some careful navigating.

Lane splitting is expected. When the traffic light changes, swarms of scooters lead the pack. It was fun to be in that crowd.

I even tackled the ring road around Rome, making it out to BMW Roma, and excursions to Lago de Bolsena, Tivoli and Frascati. The 300cc single-cylinder, fuel-injected motor was smooth, but was completely topped out on the Autostrada. The seat was too small for long excursions, anyway.

I wouldn't trade my BMW airhead for it, but it was definitely a fun way to get around and see the city.

Some pics:

The view from the Castel St. Pietro:

The scooter shop where I rented the bike:

Out in the countryside:

"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Nice trip, I was walking in that area last Fall and would loved to have taken that scoot out for a couple of days. Who did you rent from and was it reasonably priced?
Shirk.
Shirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
garthg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I rented the scooter from the store shown in the pictures. I think it's called RentScooterRome, or something similar. I found it on the internet. It's one block up from Piazza Barberini.

It wasn't cheap. It was about 70 euros/day, or about $100. That included all taxes, insurance and the GPS.
"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
Old 05-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
garthg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's the Info

Barberini Scooters and Bike Rental
Conveniently located near the Barberini metro stop, the company has been serving this area since 1979. Discounted rates are given to students and those who hold ISE cards. They are open every day from 9.00 to 19.00. Your rental fee includes helmets, padlocks, windshields, maps, and rapid teaching of the mechanics of the scooter. You can rent for the day or for the week and all prices are listed online.
Via della Purificazione 84
Open daily, 9 am -7 pm
Cash and all major credit cards are accepted.
Reservations are advised but not necessary call 06488 5485 or scooterrent@hotmail.com
www.rentscooter.it
For this, the machine--"
Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,793
I had good luck with these guys. I rented a 250cc MP3 which I generally don't like much but my wife and I rode it around the city with great success, three wheels on cobbles and tram lines. We aklso took it out of town to Ostia Antica and Castel Gandolfo during our three day rental. The shop is in the square in front of the main train station (Stazione Termini) which is convenient, though it is hidden by a construction site.
They also rent the Honda 300 which would be an interesting ride.

http://www.trenoescooter.com/index.htm

Daily rates for the large scooters is 79 euros for 24 hours. 366 for a week.

IBA#39,523

conchscooter screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 09:22 PM Reason: Trenoscooter
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote