Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #61
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post
You must feel great knowing the 688 is sealing up well.

Any other mods forthcoming before you head out, or is it gas-n-go from here?

If you end up riding Colorado (Denver) on your way down or up, you've a stocked fridge, bed and garage awaiting you.
Yeah it sure is annoying having to pack around oil everywhere, I think the piston kit was the last thing I wanted to modify on this bike...riiight? I guess there's always more upgrades to be had in fark-landia but nothing major. Mmmmiiight go back to Cogent Dynamics and get a Moab Shock to tighten up the rear-end and freshen things up back there though....

One of these days I will be coming through Denver and I will surely hit you up for one of those cold ones, maybe I'll bring a few myself as well.
SeanPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #62
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,143
What's up with all the KLR tinkerers being enamored with the cogent dynamics shock? I suspect it's good but it seems to be the only shock I hear about when folks switch out their OEM shock.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #63
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
What's up with all the KLR tinkerers being enamored with the cogent dynamics shock? I suspect it's good but it seems to be the only shock I hear about when folks switch out their OEM shock.
Yeah the Cogent Moab shock and the 465 Series progressive one from Happy Trails (maybe they just retail it?) are the main ones that I hear about as well, although there are a few others (Ricor etc). I like Cogent because I've gone to them before and their customer service is top notch and very accessible, they explain the design and build of the shock in a way that mechanically makes sense and they work with you to build you a shock that fits your bike, weight, load, and riding style. They also have a wide range of variability in how they can adjust the shock, it's fully rebuildable etc. They definitely seem to know what they are on about over there.

I think for most people the OEM rear shock is suitable enough for light touring and strolls down FS roads that it's not worth the several hundred bones to chuck a better unit in (unless it needs replacing). I like to take care of my stuff since I use/abuse it every day and need to rely on it but I also don't like being limited to what I can do by my equipment quality. I expect a lot from whatever equipment I have and tend rule over it with a heavy fun-hammer of brutality that seems to be hard on parts.

If the part isn't up to snuff no matter how much I maintain it eventually it gives up on life and just dies.

It seems like I'm just asking too much of the stocker and it's operating at the end of its working range doing what I'm want it to do.

For most though a GREAT bang for your buck upgrade, which is what I did initially, is to take the stocker and get rid of the wimpy OEM spring but keep the shock and put a much beafier spring on there. I used an Ohlins from Cogent that is dual rate (if I recall correctly) and it was a pretty massive improvement for 100ish bucks. You don't get the fancy pants dampening and build/engineering quality of a shock like the Moab since you are stuck with the old shock but it functions waaaay better since it's now operating with a spring designed for those loads and level of 'aggression'. I've put 10k+ on it like that and have been very pleased. Now though since I'm probably going to be putting another 10k, 20k, ?? more miles on the bike under load the rear shock will probably puke out at some point and need replacing, mind as well just replace it now and spend the couple extra (hundreds) bucks and get a shock with the correct build quality that I'm looking for. One that's going to be operating within it's standard range of operation when I'm doing the stuff I like to do, rather than one that is operating at the far end of it's range.

SeanPNW screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 10:54 AM
Old 07-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #64
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,143
Thanks! Great observations.

In for a penny, in for a pound. I've shelled out a small mint for a KX450 front end, custom triples, wheel, rotor, caliper, etc. Might as well toss in a cogent.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #65
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Thanks! Great observations.

In for a penny, in for a pound. I've shelled out a small mint for a KX450 front end, custom triples, wheel, rotor, caliper, etc. Might as well toss in a cogent.
Ooooh that's nice. That'll be a big improvement to the front end for sure.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #66
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Pics update

So all of my pictures went down when I changed image hosting services and I've been slowly getting them back up. It's a process but posts 1 - 10 are now back online as well as anything from the "Prep" posts.

Trip Prep Posts: I wrote up a lot of prep info in my pre-daparture boredom before leaving and it can be lengthy and winded so I have included links below if you want to read it and TLDR (Too Long, Didn't Read) summaries next to it so you don't need to.

Planting a Seed:
I got the idea while working and backpacking in Central America in 2010
Sea-town to the top:
General plan was to go North first to Prudhoe Bay AK.
Sea-town to the bottom:
Then wrap up my work responsibilities, quit my job, and head South.
Bike:
I chose a 2004 Kawasaki KLR 650 to start with.
Choosing which bike
: How I came to my decision of taking a KLR was based on my personal travel preferences and priorities.
Bike Prep:
the KLR has short-falls and I like to tinker so I tore the bike apart and heavily modded it.
SPOT:
I have a SPOT GPS tracker to check-in with.
Getting Involved:
Making life meaningful, valuable, and dare I say "fun".

Ride Report Posts:
1: Waiting
2: Getting Close
3: Crossing t's and dotting i's
4: Over Packed is Under Pre-pared
5: Off to a "Swimmingly" Good Start
6: Miles to Make
7: The Swing
8: Now Serving Miles: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
9: From Dust to Dawson
10: Little Chicken, Big Character

SeanPNW screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 06:01 PM
Old 07-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #67
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Pics update

Posts 11 and 12 are up now.

11: Looking For a Dead Horse
12: Chilling in Fairbanks
Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #68
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Pics update: Posts 13 and 14 are now up

Posts 13 and 14 are now up

13: Tagging In

14: Red-Dog and Brown-Bear ride again
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #69
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Pics update: post 15 is now up

15: Up and at'em
Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #70
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Pics update: post 16 & 17 now up

All images are now back up.

16: Catching Up
17: Catching Up (continued)
Old 09-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #71
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

No-Moto-Boundaries: New Ride Report Thread

Heyo, I left on Sep. 1st and have decided to continue this ride report in a new thread. Since I originally created this original ride report thread over a year and a half ago my mentality and plans about this adventure have changed a fair amount, and definitely all for the better (see post #53 above). Rather than changing or editing this thread to fit my new plans I have decided to start a new thread and in doing so preserve this one.

Come follow along here for the next chapter: No-Moto-Boundaires
Old 09-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #72
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 2,827
Quote:
He said that if he can impart any wisdom that he has learned through his his long list of life experiences, it is that:

” there is no point in spending your life doing things you don’t want to do and that don’t give you joy. You can make all the money in the world but you need to learn how to have fun. You MUST learn how to play. Since I was diagnosed with cancer 2-years ago I haven’t had a single bad day. I simply don’t have time for bad days, so I make every day a good day. Life is short and if you can get started with that mentality young, you’ll do just fine.”
Subscribed
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #73
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
This was a fun and inspirational read. I hope that Jeanne is still with us and will be for a long time.
I'm getting started on the next leg of your trip and I'm sure it'll be as good or better.
Thanks for taking the time to live the way we all should.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #74
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
This was a fun and inspirational read. I hope that Jeanne is still with us and will be for a long time.
I'm getting started on the next leg of your trip and I'm sure it'll be as good or better.
Thanks for taking the time to live the way we all should.
Glad it was good read, I have equal thoughts about Jeanne, but unfortunately I think this is not likely the case. He was one of those guys that just weren't a dime a dozen, more of a diamond in the ruff. He was a big inspiration for the shift in my mindset for the next trip, and what eventually lead to starting a completely new thread for the second leg. Glad you'll be along for the ride.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #75
jamestj9
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have been on that ferry many many times I live about 15 minutes from it In Everett.

It was suppose to include the image on the ferry out of Everett.
jamestj9 is offline   Reply With Quote