User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
coastranger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
balancing carbs

yes I know , there are lots of ways, short the plugs, the 4 dollar stick, and all that stuff
years back I used the "short the plugs method" then I moved up to the home made 4 dollar stick, then I got a twin max, a step up or back, up to debate
and asking this question is like asking, what oil to use.......what tire to use.......which battery...yadda yadda

but in my olden days, I have relied on a twin max ,yet I still have a "4 dollar stick" hanging in my shop
today I did a full service adn got ethecarbs as good as my my meter says
at both idle and about 2500

yet a few years ago there was a real nice write up on balancing carbs with a twin max, or the likes like carb mate or something electronic
it was a real nice write up going step by step, sync cables, etc etc. and in my olden age, its nice to review things now and then as "old timers" creeps in

yes I know , its really not that difficult.....and I probaballly could not get em any better......but still....... does.anyone know that link to that write up

thanks

edit.......sorry....in reference to an R80 with bings

coastranger screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 03:33 PM
coastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,141
The factory manuals for German vehicles all read very much the same for carb/s adjustments for idle and mix. Develop your skill with sound and feel and that is quite good enough for all cases. If you every get a chance to put a CO meter in the exhaust, confirm what's what for sure. That is the prefered method, but the sound/feel procedure is also given as factory approved.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,238
I recently upped the size of my idle jets on my R90/6. This has improved both idle and return to idle after high speed runs. My bike used to have a creeping idle. It was really nerve wracking that after some highway sprints I had to turn down both idles but next day when warming up the cold engine the idle was too slow and had to turn them up. Stock idle jets on my R90 were 45. I put in 50s and see a big improvement.

Idle jets don't come in just any number you may want. Next size up for my bike was 50 from the stock 45. Nothing in between that.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote