User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
scubabiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
norwegian VF750F 1986

new to the forum thought i should start, i ride an 86 vf750, which is a bit of a project, its soon to be the MFP V4 interceptor (see what i did there?) its currently yellow with a black stripe and i thought to myself, why not make it look like a madmax police car , so i will be painting it in MFP livery, but the fun doesnt stop there, i need new tyres for it and decided to get conti tkc 80 back and mitas E06 front, the chain and sprocket also need changing, so i am going to use a bigger rear and smaller front. should be a mental machine. pics to follow
scubabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Yaay! Can hardly wait to see this!

I always wanted one of these, but time/finances/everything else in life, foiled me at every attempt.

(plus I had an '83 Interceptor that I never somehow bonded with, so I was a little reluctant to go that route again)

Plus, who doesn't like Mad Max
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,094
IN!

Great timing.

My son and I have reclaimed my first miniceptor (86 VF500f) from its last abuser. Planning to Scramble it . OD Green with matte white wings/graphics.

Will be following your build for inspiration and starting ours asap.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
scubabiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

a little about the bike and how i got it.
i moved to norway a few years ago, but just as i was moving my father died and i was forced to leave my trailer with my old bike (a 1980 suzuki gt125 cafe racer) and all my posessions in swansea to attend his funeral and catch my flight. he was gonna drive it all across for me. anyway, long story short, my trailer got stolen along with everything i ever owned. (keep your eyes peeled for a suzuki GT125 cafe racer). but my uncle in law had a great old honda vf that he would sell me. so i snapped his arm off at the deal. ONLY.....
it had a bad rattle he told me, so he had swapped the motor but the rattle was still there.
so anyway, i take it to work (i work as a motorcycle mechanic) and whip the front head cover off (i had started it up after i fitted a battery and new plugs). one look and i could see what was wrong. the timing chain was loose. the chain actually sat ONTOP of the teeth. no idea how it ran! i found the tensioner to be the original recalled 1986 part, luckily we had a few in the store room at work, so i swapped both tenioners and both top oil pipes (also a recalled part) and its been fine since.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
scubabiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

attached is a pic of it (standard pipes, although its jetted to straight through pipes)
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,094
goosebumps man!

I love a good build, and coupled with the Dad and Uncle specs this is great.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabiker View Post
new to the forum thought i should start, i ride an 86 vf750, which is a bit of a project, its soon to be the MFP V4 interceptor (see what i did there?) its currently yellow with a black stripe and i thought to myself, why not make it look like a madmax police car , so i will be painting it in MFP livery, but the fun doesnt stop there, i need new tyres for it and decided to get conti tkc 80 back and mitas E06 front, the chain and sprocket also need changing, so i am going to use a bigger rear and smaller front. should be a mental machine. pics to follow
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Yaay! Can hardly wait to see this!

I always wanted one of these, but time/finances/everything else in life, foiled me at every attempt.

(plus I had an '83 Interceptor that I never somehow bonded with, so I was a little reluctant to go that route again)

Plus, who doesn't like Mad Max
I liked those VFR750F's back then. 180 degree crank. The OP's bike is a VF750F though. Totally different animal. 360 degree crank. I had an '84 VF1000F. Breathed on and punched out to an 1120. GSXR1100's couldn't touch it.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
scubabiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We had a vfr750 at work last week, couldnt beleive how different they are, the vfr is so much quieter, its like a big block chevvy being compared to one of those environmental cars!
Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #10
Quacamole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Convert to Vfr

With a little magic, VFR engine sits in there also!

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthrea...-1st-gen-frame

Thunmbs up!
Quacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #11
scubabiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i was actually reading that thread a few days ago. i dont have any problems with the vf motor, its just noisey is all. still waiting for my tenant to pay before i order the parts
Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #12
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I liked those VFR750F's back then. 180 degree crank. The OP's bike is a VF750F though. Totally different animal. 360 degree crank. I had an '84 VF1000F. Breathed on and punched out to an 1120. GSXR1100's couldn't touch it.

Drat, I was only going by him saying 1986, assuming the "VF750F" versus "VFR750" was a typo or language-ie translated error thing.

D'oh!

We didn't get 1986 VF750F's *and* 1986 VFR750's in Canada, we only got the VFR's.

I never knew the rest of the world got the "old" style bikes in 1986 as well!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
scubabiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

who knows, the bike could be an 84 and registered in 86, no idea of its past
Old 05-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
scubabiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

why did i post on a facebook group full of harley fanboys.... woe is me, people are doubting my genius (or is it insanity), i guess some people have no idea what its like to ride a 90 BHP bike on street tyres in mud. need to make some sort of handlebar clamp thing, i have a spare bike, so will mess with the top yoke from that i guess. the thing is, on the vf the fuses are part of the top yoke.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabiker View Post
why did i post on a facebook group full of harley fanboys.... woe is me, people are doubting my genius (or is it insanity), i guess some people have no idea what its like to ride a 90 BHP bike on street tyres in mud. need to make some sort of handlebar clamp thing, i have a spare bike, so will mess with the top yoke from that i guess. the thing is, on the vf the fuses are part of the top yoke.

Speaking selfishly; I can only counsel posting less there, and more here...