User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
uglybassplayer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Removing the linkage

Shock options for my 1988 XT600 Tenere are very limited so I've been considering alternatives.

Ignoring the problems with the air box hoses and the reservoir, spring rates etc is there any reason why you could not remove the linkage from the swing arm and fit the shock directly to the swing arm (using the now unused linkage pivot ). A suitable pivot and bearings/bushings could be made and the result would be the same as the KTM PDS system (in fact I could use a PDS shock)

I come from a mountain bike where single pivot designs are a popular and reliable solution, is there any reason I've missed why ditching the linkage would not work?

I could get a second hand MX shock and suitable spring for considerably less than an aftermarket shock.

Thanks for any input
uglybassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,433
I converted an XR80 to a KTM 65 PDS just that way. It was my kid's MX starter bike to learn shifting. I had a CR80 disc front end on it too.

No reason it can't be done and condidering the starting point, it should be at least as good or much better when you dial in the spring rate and valving.

Cory of Pro Tune Suspension (ktmtalk suspension guru) is a great resource. If you need a guy to mod it for length or valving I'd give him a shout.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote