User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #136
vtwinwilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
KLRsys,

Just finished reading through the entire thread, and as others have said... WOW!

To everyone else, I've been fortunate enough to spend a fair amount of quality time in the saddle of the Gen-I version (KLRsys is a generous fella that way). It is everything the pictures depict and more. The fit and finish are outstanding, but more impressive is… it truly is an excellent balance between on-road comfort and off-road capability. Riding it you don't feel like you're sacrificing anything.

Time for me to get serious about hunting down a doner Versys.

BB

vtwinwilly screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 04:05 PM
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #137
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Suspension goodies

Got some suspension goodies in today. Since I couldn't get to the preload adjuster on the rear shock (fuel pump in the way) Rick at Cogent Dynamics built me one of his famous Moab shocks with a hydraulic preload adjuster. All you need is an 8mm nut driver. Cool. Also got springs and Racetech for the the front. I'm anxious to put them in and try it out. I'm hoping that rear shock works as well as it looks. Fancy looking piece of hardware. Rick and Joyce at Cogent were great to deal with, very personalized service and never once hesitated to help me find a solution.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #138
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Rick built a custom shock for my '09 KLX250S using a KLX250SF shock as the basis. It works very well. I also had the first CD MOAB long travel shock for my '08 KLR. He does an great job, no matter what the specifications required might be. He's always up to a challenge and his custom service is second to none. You'll like this shock.

And again, the bike looks awesome! Well done!

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #139
fabriktr
Build it if you can.

Oddometer: 19
KLRsys, My son [freetors] turned me on to this thread a while back. Take a compliment from a turbo-project-addict, you are doing a super job. Methods, tooling, craftsmanship are all top shelf. The finished bike is beautiful. Carry on brother.
fabriktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #140
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Progress

I finally got the shock and front springs installed. I had to put a thumbwheel on the shock to adjust it because the fuel pump blocks access to the 8mm nut on the adjuster, but I can now adjust preload.

I finished the radiator grill guards and mounted the horn.

So it's about 99% finished now. All I have left is the cruise control and skid plate. Then it will be shake down run time and it looks as though it's going to get a good one.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #141
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Barely Alaska Ride

The big news, at least to me, is VTwinWilly (who is an old friend of mine) made good on finding a donor Versys. 09 with 870 miles. He didn't have to look to hard, it was sitting in my store room. Now Willy knew that I wanted to ride to BC in June, and he tells me that he's rolling off his current project in mid July so he'll have some free time and if I can finish his bike before then he'll ride with me. And since we're almost there, we might as well ride to Alaska. So I say "Sure, no problem. Let's do it!"

The donor bike. Sure is pretty, or was. It doesn't look like that anymore.

Two Saturdays ago he showed up at my door with his 03 KLR. He hauled it 550mi roughtly to my place.

Sunday it looked like this. Bike completely disassembled, frame shaved of all excess brackets.

By Thursday there was a motor in it, more or less. Only four of the six motor mounts in place, but the frame tube mods are done.

This past Sunday the Versys came apart. I had help that day, Matt, a fellow I met through the Two Wheeled Texans forum. He came by and stripped the Versys to pieces. Thanks for all the help, Matt.

Not so pretty anymore.

Our plan is to hit the road July 15th leaving out of McKinney, TX. I hope to have Willy's bike ready by July 4th. No pressure. Our rough route is northern NM, pass through CO, western WY, MT, ID, hopefully run up to Hyder AK, come down Vancouver Island to Victoria and stop by Adrenalin Motorcycle Co-op, birth place of the KLRE650, and meet Scott (are you going to be there?), then WA, OR and ???.

Since I'm not going to have much time to plan routes and find cool place to go I welcome any suggestions. I've never been the the PNW so it will all be new to me. We'd also love to meet other ADVer's so if you'd like to check out a KLRsys and you're on our route let us know. All three converted KLR's will make the trip.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #142
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,796
Thumb Wow!!!

~

Outstanding, Fritz!!!

I simply still cannot believe how you have begun to streamline this process so well. If you can start now and have another one built up and ready to ride to Alaska by July 4th you are doing better than any custom bike builder I've ever heard of or seen.

Just amazing, my friend!!!

Vickie is doing her OB rotation up at Parkland in Dallas the whole month of June so I wasn't planning on coming down to the Valley any time soon, but after seeing all this I think I'm gonna' make a special trip down just to shake your hand and see the latest in person!!!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #143
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,403
Sheesh. I'm not worthy of even reading this thread anymore. Please post a pic of some schlocky half-ass work so I can keep reading.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #144
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Outstanding, Fritz!!!

I simply still cannot believe how you have begun to streamline this process so well. If you can start now and have another one built up and ready to ride to Alaska by July 4th you are doing better than any custom bike builder I've ever heard of or seen.

Just amazing, my friend!!!

Vickie is doing her OB rotation up at Parkland in Dallas the whole month of June so I wasn't planning on coming down to the Valley any time soon, but after seeing all this I think I'm gonna' make a special trip down just to shake your hand and see the latest in person!!!

Dallara

~
Come on down. Bring a helmet.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #145
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Thumb Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
Come on down. Bring a helmet.

I'm planning on it, believe me!!!

Let me work on some dates on when I can, and I'll check with you first to make sure some of those work for you.

And don't worry... I'll be in my helmet and full riding gear!!!

Thanks!

Dallara

~

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Old 06-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #146
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You know where I'll be holed up for the next four weeks. Won't be hard to find.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #147
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Sheesh. I'm not worthy of even reading this thread anymore. Please post a pic of some schlocky half-ass work so I can keep reading.
I tend to not take pictures of my screw-ups, but there have been more than a few. Maybe next time.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #148
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh Ha-Ha!!!

Quote:
You know where I'll be holed up for the next four weeks. Won't be hard to find.

Do I need to bring wrenches and work gloves, or just refreshments???

Dallara

~

Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #149
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Gee I read that wrong. I was going to reply "Forget the refreshments, bring on the wenches!"
Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #150
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh Don't I wish...

Quote:
Gee I read that wrong. I was going to reply "Forget the refreshments, bring on the wenches!"

That's a wonderful idea, but you know it'd get us both in too friggin' much trouble!!!

Dallara

~