User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #211
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Progress

I haven't had access to much internet for the past week so I haven't done any posting but its been an epic week. We made it to Alaska, barely. . Here's Willy and his bike above Salmon Glacier north of Hyder AK. It made it all the way with no issues.

One of the best things to happen was the impromptu first KLRE650/KLRsys rally at Adrenalin Motorcycle Co-op in Victoria BC. We surprised Scott, builder of the Super Rio KLR twin, with a visit without much warning. It was great to actually meet him and see his bike. It was finding his bike on ADV that spurred me on to start my first build. He took us on a great breakfast ride Sunday morning around the island and we had a great time. I hope we can cross paths again someday.

We are now near Richland, WA and will be heading to Twin Falls ID via Boise tomorrow. We have about 2000 miles to cover in the next 5 days, we're running 3 days behind schedule. We've covered over 4000 miles so far without any build related problems. It's been a heck of a shakedown ride.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #212
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,641
Sweet

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #213
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
You officially made it on to the wheel nerds podcast. Listen to them talk About you for a few minutes on there

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #214
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A thank you

We made it home, the ride is over, and it was an EPIC adventure! An epic ride, an epic life experience for me.

I know that many folks have done more and ridden further but for me it has been quite an accomplishment. Four and a half years ago I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) and amongst other things I was told I'd probably never ride again and I believed it because of the physical disabilities I was experiencing. I went through the classic stages of diagnosis - shock, fear, anger and depression. Fortunately the depression was short lived, I quickly realized that being depressed sucked and that there are many people in far worse condition than I that are leading productive and satisfying lives. I decided I was going to ride again come hell or high water and I dragged my butt to my treadmill, started walking and planning a trip to Utah. I signed on with a personal trainer and did weight training. I manage to get rid of my leg and back pain in short order and in four months I was in better shape than I had been in 20 years. And then I went riding, with three of the best friends a guy could ever ask for, through most of the national parks in southern Utah, 1800 miles. It felt freakin wonderful. I've never looked back. The whole experience dramatically changed my outlook on life. Don't sweat the small stuff. Don't just watch, PARTICIPATE. Have adventures, big or small, but don't wait for them to happen, MAKE them happen. Don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't accomplish, only you can make that call. And with that last thought, I decided to build myself a bike. And another. And another. And ride to Moab. And ride to Alaska!

The point of all this is I want to thank everyone that has participated in my adventure, everyone that has read and posted encouraging and helpful comments on this thread, everyone I've met on the road, all those that have helped me with the builds. It's all meant a lot to me. It's been a hell of a ride, and it's not over yet.

And the MS, well, it's just a small black cloud with a giant silver lining.

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #215
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,447
< ADV version of the "LIKE" button
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #216
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Holy crap, man. Good on ya. Keep it up. What's next ? ....
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #217
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,753
Thumb He's the Man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Holy crap, man. Good on ya. Keep it up. What's next ? ....

I've met KLRsys...

And believe me, if he said he was going to put a ZX10 engine in a KLX250 there is no doubt in my mind he'd not only do it, but it would look "factory", as well as operate like it, too!

He simply does not know how to take "No" for an answer!

The greatest kudos to you, Fritz/KLRsys, and Congratulations! I don't know anyone else who could have done what you have.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #218
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Ride Fritz Ride!

Thank you, Calvin
Ridin'nFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #219
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,240
KLRsys build

Fritz. I saw your post earlier today. I didn't reply because I couldn't find the perfect words to express what I wanted to say. Calvin found them.
Quote:
Ride. Fritz. Ride!
Now all I have to do is........+1.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 10:12 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #220
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,895
Wow. What an incredible story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
We made it home, the ride is over, and it was an EPIC adventure! An epic ride, an epic life experience for me.

I know that many folks have done more and ridden further but for me it has been quite an accomplishment. Four and a half years ago I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) and amongst other things I was told I'd probably never ride again and I believed it because of the physical disabilities I was experiencing. I went through the classic stages of diagnosis - shock, fear, anger and depression. Fortunately the depression was short lived, I quickly realized that being depressed sucked and that there are many people in far worse condition than I that are leading productive and satisfying lives. I decided I was going to ride again come hell or high water and I dragged my butt to my treadmill, started walking and planning a trip to Utah. I signed on with a personal trainer and did weight training. I manage to get rid of my leg and back pain in short order and in four months I was in better shape than I had been in 20 years. And then I went riding, with three of the best friends a guy could ever ask for, through most of the national parks in southern Utah, 1800 miles. It felt freakin wonderful. I've never looked back. The whole experience dramatically changed my outlook on life. Don't sweat the small stuff. Don't just watch, PARTICIPATE. Have adventures, big or small, but don't wait for them to happen, MAKE them happen. Don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't accomplish, only you can make that call. And with that last thought, I decided to build myself a bike. And another. And another. And ride to Moab. And ride to Alaska!

The point of all this is I want to thank everyone that has participated in my adventure, everyone that has read and posted encouraging and helpful comments on this thread, everyone I've met on the road, all those that have helped me with the builds. It's all meant a lot to me. It's been a hell of a ride, and it's not over yet.

And the MS, well, it's just a small black cloud with a giant silver lining.

Thanks again.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #221
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Congratulations on your accomplishments! It is great to hear real life examples of the power of attitude. You should be proud of those 3 bikes you built, you did a damn nice job.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #222
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the comments.

And yes, I'm pretty proud of the three bikes, mostly because in the cummulative 19,200 miles we put on them in three weeks they never left us on the side of the road. No bike build related breakdowns at all. Not that there weren't problems. Check out Rex's front tire blowout. The front tube split at the seam, defective tube I think.

http://youtu.be/iSW5Sn4y_Rc

Rex jumped up without a scratch. The bike didn't fair so well. Took a day to get it welded and screwed back together before we could continue on.
And as far as what I'm going to do next - I'm going to redo the first bike like the third bike, it needs a bunch of repair anyway after its nap, insulate the bottom of the tank, and I'd like to attempt to tank mount the fuel pump, maybe even get the fuel gauge working. And I think I'm going to build more. I'm going to work on getting some of the parts made for me. I've already got a box of CNC'd engine mounts that I need to check for fit.

I will try to write an objective review of how the bike performed on the trip, but I'm hoping vtwinwilly will post his opinions soon. I'm not sure how objective I can be. I can tell you (and I may have said this before) not once in 6400 miles did I wish I was riding something else, and not once did I not want to get back on it.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #223
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Some real life stories are perspective changers.
They improve us just by hearing them.
Thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #224
FEO350
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Great Job!

Well Fritz, all of the long nights and sacrificed weekends paid off. It looks like it was a heck of a ride! I'm going to have to drop by for a little story telling and hear all about the trip. It looks like it was the ride of a lifetime.
FEO350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #225
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,070
Hell of a thread.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote