User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Maddaddy OP
Greg

Oddometer: 1,688
Team PSSOR on the COBDR

Part of the crew from Puget Sound Safety Off-road (PSSOR) is running the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route this week.

You can follow them on SPOT Tracker Here

Pic's will be posted as they go.

New Shoes for the COBDR

Rockin!

Have GS will travel!

Maddaddy screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 10:08 PM
Maddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
sweet.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Speeder54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Sweet! Hoping to follow your tracks this August. Have fun!
Speeder54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,687
The guys passed me yesterday coming out of Durango heading west out of town. Looks like they were on their way to the start. Hoping they have a blast.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,971
Does the COBCDR not go over any of the higher passes?

Seems like many of them are still snowed in?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Subscribed! I'll be riding the COBDR in July. Can't wait to see this RR.
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
D-Stylz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Aw yeah!

Okay, my buddy Dansrc51 and I were just chatting about maybe giving this route a try in the near future. I have a feeling your RR will provide great inspiration!

In the words of a wise sage, "Ride fast, take chances."

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - Anonymous
D-Stylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
CoTrailRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Looks like you rode through my extended backyard and saw the balancing rock on Mt Herman Rd. Enjoy your trip. Looking forward to your RR as I am hoping to do the trail this summer.
CoTrailRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 994
So, what happened to these guys?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Thumb Mini RR of the COBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpokes View Post
So, what happened to these guys?
Ooops!!! We returned last Friday, Adventure Camp Saturday-Monday, Military Mentor Advanced Street Skills Training through today. Things have been kinda hectic.

Short version, awesome ride.

Day one saw us completing legs 1 and part of 2, on leg one we had a moment. Our 1200 GSA decided to provide it's rider with the experience of a highside. Seperated mirrors, exploded winshield, crunched cans, scratched solar panel, broken visor, and seperated shoulder. All I heard on the radio was "How fast were you going?" I knew that wasn't good. Turned around and I came upon the scene of a GSA yard sale. Rider hydrated, gathered his wits, yanked his shoulder back in place, surveyed the damage and ADV'd up to continue the journey. After making Ophir Pass we made an early camp at the modest elevation of 11,000 feet, enjoyed Filet Mignon over an open fire, tried breathing while laughing hysterically at Pauls jokes, did some bike maintenance, and slept like there was no tomorow.

Day two. Up with the sun, bacon and eggs for breakfast, packed up and on the trail to continue the saga. Just before the top of Corkscrew Pass the GSA riders shoulder was done. We cooled of in a nice snowdrift, pumped some blood, and descended to do a slab wor around to meat up with the other two riders in Lake City. Long, boring workaround. When we arrived in Lake City our partners were already there, the KTM rider was fixing a flat tire and the other guy was cursing Racetech (last year he also blew a Racetech G3 on the UTBDR, maybe they need to rework the rework?). At this point we decided the best thing to do was bag it for the GSA rider and the F8GS pogo rider.
So, from 4 to 2 riders. Jeremy and I head out to find suitable camping (Jeremy requested lower elevation as he was cold the night before, maybe a bath in the fresh runoff wasn't such a good idea, eh Jeremy). We found a patch of trees on the edge of an open meadow with a catch basin somewhere in the vacinity of Los Pinos Pass, (10,500 elevation to appease Jeromy). I cheated on dinner, had some Turkey Spam and gobbs of water. Got to bed before 10.
Day three saw us up with the sun, made coffee, cooked up some bacon, eggs, and hasbrowns which we wrapped in some flour tortillas, washed down with some more Gevallia coffee. Packed up and on the trail before 9. Plenty of deer sightings, one moose, and some high speed gravel roads. Think Dakar like speeds at times. At least that's what we both said after the long run. Just before the summit at hagerman Pass we encountered some patches of snow with a thick base of ice (thanks quads, good pack job) after we made it through this minor challenge Jeremy decided to do some advanced scouting as my old Army body was feeling it's miles. Jeremy returned with a sour look on his face, he said no way, gonna be a few more weeks until it's open. Bummer. We looped around and headed down. Slabville. Our next set of difficulties came to raod closures for elk calving (woulda been open in four days, so by now y'all should be good to go) We covered 300 miles this day, making camp somewhere in the dark on leg 5 outside of BV. (Thanks again Cyclops, them LR10s and 630 made finding a campsite possible). We setup camp somewhere around 10 that night, dusty, lumpy, brush choked but o so welcome, we was whooped.
That sandy section? Really? I mean, really?
Day four. The goal is near. Nice casual riding, good for two weary riders. The beaver pond crossing? 2 1/2 feet tops, easy peasey. Low to no traffic, dust is down, and temps are quite comfy. Great end to a great trip, although I must say, the actual end point is quite anti climatic. We pose for pics, high five, reflect for a few moments and this odiferous and pungent odor assails us. I asked Jeremy if he had shat himself!! Nope, he said, I musta made that smell We decide to hit the slab as we both had commitments the next day, we find a really nice hotel in Baggs Wyndoming (after the ride on Thursday I decided to permanently rename Wyoming). Shower and hand laundry done we done our shorts and head to the bar for some food and adult beverages, upon entering this cowboy proclaims my legs blinded him, and than orders me a beer. Good grub, more beer, and a real honest to goodness bed.
BDRs done, but the trip isnt. Up early, another shower, done freshly laundered clothes, gas up, shake hands and part ways. I was headed to Boise Idaho for a BDR presentation at Big Twins (awesome dealership, great folks). I encountered a quartering headwind for %98 of the trip, %1 was head on and the remainder was undecided. Presentation was great, met some really great riders and swapped stories. Reunited with the other two early departees we headed North, droning another 250 or so miles, hit the pillow at midnight and up at 5. Got home at 1PM.

Learning points for the trip. No tankbag next time, even the small Wolfman bag I had prevented me from moving far enough forward to lock in on the long and often climbs. Tires, the Pirelli Scorpion Rallys performed exceptional in all terrain, even the slab when we was railing the million dollar highway.
Biostove, works great, just no real way to regulate heat.
Seat? I had a cheap folup seat, packs great, beats a rock, but it has been repalced already, just too short.
Jetboil w/coffee press. I like good coffee, what more can I say?
Redverz tent. Motorcycle Hilton and I have zero regrets on packing the extra weight.
Bike? Well, I have heard it said that no one will ever use what the F8GS has to offer. I call BS, I swear Jeremy unplugged a cylinder at elevation. The other F8GS rider had the auto tune installed in the hopes it would cure the high altitude blues, no real differance noted. I also missed my C14 coming through Wyndoming.
Riding gear, 'Stitch Roadcrafter, can't say enough good about this suit. Boots, guys/gals, get real dirt boots, my choice is the Fox Instincts (fresh socks daily, my one big phobia is nasty, dirty socks). I also wore the Cycle Gear Heatout britches. Great setup.
Helmet-Icon Variant. Only time I regreted it was WYNDOMING!!!!!

Shout out any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Chet
SOP Dirt-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #11
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

My question: I'll be riding the COBDR solo in a few weeks. I'd call myself an average dirt rider, certainly no Malcolm Smith. Do I take the 690R or 800GS. I'm leaning towards the 690 but wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks.

Luke
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 06-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
My question: I'll be riding the COBDR solo in a few weeks. I'd call myself an average dirt rider, certainly no Malcolm Smith. Do I take the 690R or 800GS. I'm leaning towards the 690 but wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks.

Luke
Will the 690 haul what you need/plan on taking as it is currently setup? An answer is tough as it would come down to what you are looking to get out of the trip, the more weight, the more work. I have a 20 pound minimum weight loss for my next trip. I hauled 125 + 1 gallon of gas, a camel back, and 2 gallon water bladder. Leg one is awesome for getting yourself accustomed to the weight off road, which is good as leg two demands your attention.
So, kinda like dating, both ladies are good looking, both will get the job done, you looking for a spicey time or all nighter?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Will the 690 haul what you need/plan on taking as it is currently setup? An answer is tough as it would come down to what you are looking to get out of the trip, the more weight, the more work. I have a 20 pound minimum weight loss for my next trip. I hauled 125 + 1 gallon of gas, a camel back, and 2 gallon water bladder. Leg one is awesome for getting yourself accustomed to the weight off road, which is good as leg two demands your attention.
So, kinda like dating, both ladies are good looking, both will get the job done, you looking for a spicey time or all nighter?
I'm definitely looking for a spicey all nighter! Hehe.

The 690 will carry everything I need as I battle tested it on the TAT last summer. I've never weighed my bags but I'd guess I'm in the 50-60lbs range. I use the wolfman expedition panniers and 12 liter rolie bag plus a small-ish backpack with water bladder. Oh, and a 1 gal rotopax. The thought of lifting the 800GS loaded down by myself seems unpleasant. Perhaps I've alread made up my mind. Thanks for the input.

Luke
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 06-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Sounds like ya have!! If I was closer/less slab home I know which bike I would ride
I sure wish I only had 60ish pounds worth of gear but I like creature comforts and ride with friends so the load is easier to pickup and drops don't happen as often (they have cameras). My only on trail tipover happened just before the Hagerman Summit. Zero speed drop, back tire was hung on an unseen and unmoving rock. My first tipover? 30 feet onto the route, the GSA looked like it was going to land on me, I reached over to push him in the right direction which left me ugly.

Touratech Rally here I come
Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
jtw429
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Wow, I didn't know we were supposed to update as we went. Guess I could have been more active. Chet pretty much summed up the trip real well. The high passes were pretty clear (California, Corkscrew, Hurricane). There was snow, but the trail was open and they were running their tour trucks back and forth. Cumberland was almost a no go. As I topped the hill I almost ran into the plow. Chet and I have the honor (other than the plow driver) of being the first ones over that pass this year. Hagerman was the only one we couldn't get over. I was becoming very optomistic as I got to the top on my scouting because the sun was shining and the path was mostly clear minus some drifts. Then I hit it right at the top...about 6 feet deep on the trail. You could see where a couple people before us had turned around. I added my tracks to those :(

Overall it was a beautiful ride. Nothing too hard. I think the UTBDR was harder because of Hurrah pass and more sand. The sand section on the COBDR? Didn't even notice it. I kept waiting for it. I think it was supposed to be in the 4 Mile section after Buena Vista. Water crossings were easy, albeit a little deep on the beaver damn near stagecoach. The biggest thing with the COBDR was the never ending climbs to the tops of the passes. I would attempt it again solo on the 990.

To repeat what Chet said, if you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer also. Awesome trip with some great folks!
jtw429 is offline   Reply With Quote