Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBiker View Post
What a stunning tribute! Can not believe that someone would even think of doing something quite as cool as this for a crash site. RIP Crewman.....

+1 on all who participated in this.

Amazing simply A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

I couldn't say it any better - well done fellows!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,535
Nicely done guys and great photo's.

We were there just a few weeks prior...
Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,541
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,551
Just awesome!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,048
It was great of you guys to do this.
The memorial looks great.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #21
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 866
Great Job Men
and isnt that part of Nevada special? I love the whole area you guys are ridding in.

moar please
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #22
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,065
b24

Crazy, I was talking to some buddies who work with me a the fire dept. and I was showing them the crash site since it's on my ride in august. I'm riding from denver to portland and we we just saying about how there should be a plaque there. Awesome of you guys to do that. Thanks for the ride report. How has the temp been during the day?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
BADDAD
" Bitter Clinger "

Oddometer: 310
Well done men, well done.

I'm sure their families would be grateful for your remembrance of their loved ones.

PLAN B SUCKS

When you don't know what you are doing you might as well do it quickly
BADDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
acousticrawk
Yeah Raft'n!

Oddometer: 88
awesome. can't wait to read/see more!!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #25
heavy Cy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
RIGHTEOUS! Simply righteous.

A couple years ago I rode from Soldier Meadows Ranch in the Black Rock Desert up to Denio Junction to gas up, then back, on my 50th birthday. I remember standing out there in the desert between Pyramid Lake and Denio surrounded by sage and solitude drinking a Miller my buddy snuck along to celebrate that monumental day and lamenting "Can you believe right now there are people packed into Disey World? Look at this...Why would you want to be there if you could be out here?" This crash site must be close to where we were. I just told my 9 year old about this as a bedtime story.

We WILL get out to see your tribute/monument. Thank you for revealing and creating another bucket list destination.

heavy Cy screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 08:59 PM
heavy Cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #26
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
Very well done.....they should always be remembered
Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #27
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,003
Day 2 - June 2nd.

Miles on bike: 1338
HRS on bike: 55.1

We woke up to a beautiful sunny morning at Bog Hot Springs, packed up the bikes and prepared for another awesome day of riding!

Steam off the springs

Camp.

I found this little surprise under my tent...at least it wasn't in my tent!

Trever rode up to see the source of the spring....notice the one sandal lol.

We left Bog and headed to Denio Junction one last time to top up on fuel, eat a good breakfast and ditch the shovel at the truck.
Trever lost a sandal on the way back from the bomber so he will also pick up a extra pair that I had in my gear bag.

Trever and his one remaining sandal lol. (video snap shot...sorry about the quality).

A day of incredible riding! We departed Denio Junction and headed north into Oregon, we will then angle back into NV.

Orange Coolaid in the Desert.

Here they come.

We come across a cool old ranch and stop to check it out.

The Ranch

Someone had some skill working with rock. Amazing.

What's left of a wooden wagon.

Andy taking a ride.

A little further up the road was another old abandoned building....wonder what the story behind this one is?

A home brew implement along the trail. Looks like it was maybe used for ??. The axle on top looked like it was used to raise/lower something.

Back on the trail.

We stop on a hill to soak in the view.

The snow covered Steen's and Alvord Desert in the background.

My ugly mug :-)

The view in the glasses.

Andy found out his new camera doesn't charge the battery via USB.....he's now using the Droid.

Alan enjoying the view....LOL.

Back on the trail again.

The Views were incredible...no matter how much you looked you couldn't soak them all in.

Andy getting ready to snap some pictures as the bikes roll by.

Stopping for a snack.

And back on the trail.

Soon we come across an abandoned mine with huge tailing piles. There is a large mill works here, I love checking out sites like this. I would love to see pictures of it back in it's hay day.

I roll up to the mine and wait for the others.

Andy pulling up to the site.

Alan rides up to the top of the tailing pile.

We hop off the bikes and check out the site. The mine is called the Opalite Mine and was used to produce Mercury. The Opalite Mine produced a total of 12,367 flasks of mercury (a flask is equivalent to 76 pounds) between 1927 and 1961, with the vast majority of the production occurring before 1943.

It had to be a big undertaking back in the day to haul all this concrete this far out in the desert.

Lots of relics litter the site.

A audit close to the mill site...I'm sure with tailing piles this big there are more audits in the area.

At the base of the mining operation lie a couple old cars. I'm amazed that it's still preserved this well, must not be a lot of drunks with guns out here. I wonder when the last time it moved under it's own power was.

A tire from the car.....amazing stuff like this last's this long out here.

Remains of a truck of some sort....I wonder if this truck hauled supplies to the site when they were building the mill?

We left the mine site and headed to Mcdermitt, NV for fuel and lunch. After fueling up we found the Snack Stop and stopped for a burger. I filled my hydration pack up with water and put a 1.5 liter bottle in my pack as well, I had been out of water since we left camp this morning and I was really thirsty at this point!

We had good cell service here so we called Mark to find out where he was at. He was getting ready to leave home (still 9 hrs away) and would watch our SPOT tracks and try to intersect us some where. To save time he would drive his truck as close to us as he could get then unload the bike and catch up with us.

Here Trever is talking to Mark and trying to figure out approx where we will meet up with him.

Trever hamming it up for the camera

We left Mcdermitt with full stomachs and full tanks of fuel.

One of the many stream crossings on the trip.

Shortly after one stream crossing Alan got stuck in some large sage brush....luckily he was trapped just long enough for me to get my camera out :-)

Alan on the BRP

Another stop for a photo op. :-)

A little further up the trail we come across another old abandoned ranch. A lot of work went into building these old houses. Who lived here? What a hard life it must have been.

The windows haven't even been broken out....not many teen age derelicts out this far I guess lol.

Ready to light.

Needs a little remodeling.

The rare two hole outhouse :-)

Andy trying it out

After leaving the ranch we headed to our destination for the night....another Hot Springs. We arrived at "The" Hot Springs shortly before dark, set up camp and started the routine of making dinner etc.

The Source...very cool formations.

The hot water is piped down to a tub by the stream.

Camp for the night.

Alan setting up his tent

Andy found that his chest protector and backpack provided a bad rub point on his collar bone...he was left with a egg sized sore....ouch! He will find a way to mod his gear in the am.

And a beautiful sunset to top off an awesome day!

End Day 2
Miles on Bike: 1515
Hrs on Bike: 60.7

LOTS MORE TO COME.....

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 11:34 PM
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #28
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,660
Looks like somebody stole the metal tub that was there the last time I was out there.

Nice ride!!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #29
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Thank you for taking time to honor lost airmen. A lot of us would think to ourselves that there should be something like a plaque at the site to honor their memory, but we wouldn't act on it. You followed through and deserve the thanks and admiration of the entire ADV community.

Now, about the Opalite Mining site....it had nothing to do with jewelry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
We hop off the bikes and check out the site. The mine is called the Opalite Mine, Opalite is used to make jewelry.

It had to be a big undertaking back in the day to haul all this concrete this far out in the desert.

A audit close to the mill site...I'm sure with tailing piles this big there are more audits in the area.

Any operation that big in the middle of the desert in Oregon or NW Nevada is likely a mercury mining operation. Sure enough...

http://www.deq.state.or.us/lq/ecsi/e...haracteristics

Turns out that there is another mine nearby that was operated at the same time that had their ore processed at the Opalite Mining operation, hence the big tailing piles. Mercury was in high demand during WW2 for switches, bomb fuses, and other detonators. The government paid top dollar for high grade ore so anything that wasn't dripping with mercury was thrown into tailing piles. While the tailing piles at Opatlite consist of ore that has been processed, but there is still a lot of mercury contained within the ore as they were high grading. It's best not to disturb it too much. There should be signs warning of the danger.

Thanks again for the memorial!
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #30
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post

Turns out that there is another mine nearby that was operated at the same time that had their ore processed at the Opalite Mining operation, hence the big tailing piles. Mercury was in high demand during WW2 for switches, bomb fuses, and other detonators. The government paid top dollar for high grade ore so anything that wasn't dripping with mercury was thrown into tailing piles. While the tailing piles at Opatlite consist of ore that has been processed, but there is still a lot of mercury contained within the ore as they were high grading. It's best not to disturb it too much. There should be signs warning of the danger.

Thanks again for the memorial!
Thanks for the link....very interesting reading. I updated the post to reflect the new information. There are signs at the site warning of contamination.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 11:44 PM
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote