Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #76
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
I remember reading this back in June of 2010...

"The B24 escaped me yet again...Grrrrrr. I will be back to find it though!" (Adventure Is Out There)

Not only did you find it, you found a way to honor a fine group of American heros of long ago.
Being the granddaughter of a proud WWII United States Army Colonel, I thank you and the fellas for making the trek and the story known.

Looking forward to the rest of the report.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #77
mamacone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Thanks for the report, glad i could be part of it. The mud made it an adventure.
mamacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #78
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
Nice job guys. I hope to get up and see the crash site. Great report. Thanx
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #79
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,055
Day 5 - June 5th.

Miles on Bike: 2086
Hrs on Bike: 74.9

We woke up after a good nights sleep at the original roach motel lol. It was a fresh day and Trever was starting to get over his PTMD (Post Traumatic Mud Disorder!) LOL. The weather had turned cold and nasty, the high country was covered in a fresh blanket of snow! We decided to clean up the bikes a bit and head to Bruno's for breakfast.

Our haven out of the weather for the night....I decided to throw the sleeping bag on the bed instead of using the 1940's sheets lol.

Lots O Mud!

Breakfast at Bruno's.

We warmed up, ate a good breakfast and decided on a game plan. Trevor's shoulder was bothering him and our planned tracks would take us right up into the snow within minutes. Our detour back north earlier placed us in the way of the cold front, we were trapped. We could hit pavement and bomb south until we hit warmer weather but then we would be pinched on time to get back. Or we could ride north and base camp at the Alvord Desert, explore some abandoned mines and soak in the springs. With the weather cold and rotten we changed plans again and decided to head north... Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.

Trever and Mark would take a separate route, pick up Marks truck and meet us in Denio Junction. The rest of us would double back through Soldier Meadows.

We filled the bikes with fuel and rolled out for adventure.

Alan on the move.

Andy ready to head out.

We decide to cut across the Black Rock Desert and check out another Hot Springs on the way to Soldier Meadows.

A little time for playing on the Playa :-)

Couple posing shots

Rolling out for the springs.

Right as we arrive at the springs the road turns to the gumbo mud that we were riding in yesterday. I manage to get sideways and drop the bike as I roll to a stop....Sorry didn't get any pics lol.

Another quote from a settlers diary.

The springs.

Right after I took this shot I slipped walking down the hill and packed my camera up with mud! Luckily it was the back side of the camera and after some time with some baby wipes everything was fine again.

With the prospect of riding numerous miles in more gumbo mud we turned around and headed back across the Black Rock to the gravel road on the other side.

A ways up the road we came across the license plate art display and stopped for some pictures.

Doing a little repair work on a fallen piece of art.

I decided to leave my own piece of art on the display :-)

Alan pointing at the snow above soldier meadows that came in over night.....bummer, that's where we were heading.

A quick stop at soldier meadows, we were hoping to catch Kathy home but she was still away on business. We chat a bit with the ranch hand and continue north.

There is some great riding in the hills above Soldier Meadows....but with the snow we decide to stay low and continue north to Denio Junciton.

I stopped along the road to take some pictures of the snow...cold!

Getting close.

The Pueblo Mountains above Denio Junction where we placed the Memorial Plaque on the first day....now dusted with snow.

Back at Denio Junction...ready to warm up and get some grub!

A Syncro Vanagon at Denio Junction when we arrive, owned by a nice couple from Oregon.

We arrived just after Trever and Mark arrived...Perfect timing! We all grabbed a bite to eat then will load up the bikes and move the trucks up to the Alvord.

Yummmm!!!

Ok....which one is out of place for the NV desert? lol.

And a few shots from Trever and Mark's journey north to Denio Junction.

These are some cool rock formations!

Would make a great shelter in a pinch!

Back to Denio Junction. We loaded up the bikes and rolled to the Alvord Desert. We had planned on riding up to the mines above the desert and I was going to show the guys the old miners orchard that resides up there as well....But. When we arrived at the Alvord Hot Springs we find this...

The entrance road that leads to the mines, orchard etc is blocked and fenced off! This is also the spot where a lot of people camp that stop to soak in the springs. Hmmm......

The dirt access road the connects the lake bed to the springs is also blocked off. To get to the lake bed you now have to drive a mile or so down the gravel road then drop onto the playa from there....no more riding up from the playa for a quick soak.....this sucks!

Later at Fields Station we learn the scoop. The Alvord Hot Springs is on private property and they let the public use the springs...but the owner is wanting the BLM to take over liability of the springs as well as install a bathroom at the site. I guess he hasn't got it yet so he closed off the road and the entrance to the hills....the hills are BLM but the entrance is on his property. If he doesn't get the bathroom etc then he might shut down the springs all together. That would be a real shame...such a cool place to visit and enjoy a soak. I hope it all works out in the end.

Well we can't ride up here where we were planning either....we decide to take a nice soak then roll for home, we will return again to complete our original 1700 mile loop!

There are two pools at the Alvord Springs. It looked like someone had just finished cleaning out the "outside" pool and the hot water pipe was still open to it when we arrived...it was WAY to hot to soak in. The inside pool was warm but not hot...to cold for me to want to get in since it was really cold and windy outside. Something had to be done to cool down the outside pool!

Where there's a will there's a way! Inside each pool are several washing machine drums turned upside down for seats, in a pinch they can become buckets to scoop cool water to the hot side! Oh yeah....Nice hot soak here we come!

The piping that brings the hot water down to the pools from the source.

Panorama of the springs, Amazing scenery!

While I waited for the hot pool to cool a little I checked out the inside of the changing room, here's a shot of a memorial left for Carl. Carl lived down the road from the Alvord Springs and did a lot of maint and upkeep at the springs. He knew the area very well and was very friendly....rest in piece Carl!

Trever is first in the hot side. It was still HOT but you could get used to it and get in eventually. The heat felt great!

Mark instantly turned into a lobster! lol.

After the soak we left the Alvord, headed to Fields for fuel and rolled towards home. At Fields a young Ukrainian women named Elena was getting fuel and was asking how to get to British Columbia, she was on the way up from Vegas to visit friends. Not wanting to get lost she joined our caravan towards WA and was now part of the RR....Smile for the camera :-)

Every time we stopped she would stop with us. She followed us till John Day and we convinced her to stop and get a hotel for the night while we continued on, she had been on the road a long time and looked pretty drowsy.

We arrived home around 2am. Another trip in the books.

Can't wait to return to NV again....I love that area!!!!!

End Trip.

Miles on bike: 2225
Hrs on bike: 78.0

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #80
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
Kudo's

Yep----kudo's again for putting up the plaque for the bomber crewman.

To me that shows the great character of you guys.

Thanks !!!

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #81
locrwln
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thanks for the RR. Great job on the plaque and covering some amazing country. Have been going up there since 1993 and I still love it.

Jack
Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #82
Hodakaguy OP

Thanks for all the comments . It was a great ride and a great time. If anyone makes the journey to the bomber make sure and sign the guest book

Can't wait to get back down there, should be this fall...but it will be in the VW Westy this time

Hodakaguy
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #83
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Thanks for all the comments . It was a great ride and a great time. If anyone makes the journey to the bomber make sure and sign the guest book

Can't wait to get back down there, should be this fall...but it will be in the VW Westy this time

Hodakaguy
Ill be signing that in august.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #84
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_uiuc View Post
Great ride report!

I think I saw you guys at the Mama's pizza place in Battle Mountain. I moved from IL to BM, arriving saturday afternoon. while trying to get to the new house I drove by that pizza place and saw a gaggle of KTMs. can't beat that for a first bike sighting at my new home town!
Should have stopped in and said hi You have some awesome riding in your back yard!

Hodakaguy
Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #85
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Ill be signing that in august.
Great! Post up some pics here when you get back Have a awesome ride!

Hodakaguy
Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #86
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,217
Great trip! I especially enjoyed the material from the crash site. Thanks for your tribute - means a lot.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #87
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,796
Great trip and some fantastic pictures.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #88
greatnortoni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
That first day RR and the whole intent to erect the memorial should be in the "thread of awsome" rather than a ride report!
Well done!
greatnortoni
if I'd gone on this trip - I would have fell over, even with a good sidestand!
greatnortoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #89
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Nice tribute to the bomber crew, and great RR. +1

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #90
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
bloody awesome RR you guys and well done for the tribute to those airmen
looks like some of your track is on the TAT,that steep creak crossing near the abandoned ranch looks familliar.
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote