User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
klinquist OP
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,004
GoPro Wifi Bacpac thread

I picked up the just released GoPro Wifi Bacpac for my HERO2 camera yesterday. It is advertised as having several capabilities:

a) comes with a remote to remotely control the camera (actually up to 50 cameras!) from up to 600ft away
b) use your smartphone as a viewfinder & remote control
c) Live stream video from wherever you have a wifi connection. The manual shows the facebook and youtube icons...

The wifi bacpac is the same size as the LCD or battery bacpac, as expected. It comes with a new rear "door" (both waterproof and non-waterproof versions) to accomodate for the larger size. It has its own power button so the new rear door has an additional "push through" button on it.

It has its own battery contained within and the manual says that if the wifi bacpac's battery is fully depleted, it will use the camera's battery as a backup. I have not tested the battery life, I *hope* it at least equals the camera battery.

It looks like the bacpac has both wifi and bluetooth radios in it - I will have to use a frequency counter to see if the remote control it comes with is actually using wifi or BT (for my own curiosity).

I like the design of the remote control - it comes with a wrist strap as well as a clip that you can easily attach to a zipper pull or keychain. The clip is removed (by moving a slider on the bottom) and a special USB adapter is plugged in to charge and to update the firmware. I have not yet tested the battery life of the remote control.

The remote works well - it has a display on it that mirrors the display on the camera itself.

Unfortunately, capabilities b) and c) above have not yet been implemented. When you try to enable wifi from the new wifi menu setting on the gopro, it says "coming soon." The GoPro app for the iphone does not yet exist.

Some tech blog writeups have said that an existing wifi network will be required to use the smartphone gopro app as a viewfinder & camera control. Combing through the manual, I believe this is NOT true. I believe that the wifi bacpac will form its own ad-hoc wifi network which you can connect to with your phone.

I look forward to reviewing the full capabilities of this device once all the features are implemented. Using wifi as a transport protocol means I can sniff the traffic and maybe do some creative things.
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
klinquist OP
übergeek

A reply from GoPro as to when the full capabilities will be available (via a software update):

Hi Kris,

Thank you for contacting GoPro!

We don't know the exact release date. This item should be released in the next couple weeks.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,
Kellie F
GoPro Support
www.gopro.com/support
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,299
I've often thought that a remote shutter/record button would be great for conserving battery and SD card space on the Gpro. I haven't used my old Hero in a long time because it is just a PITA but once this set up gets sorted out I may need to spring for a new HD and the WiFi back.
Many times I have been riding down a road and thought "This would make a nice shot" but haven't taken the time to stop and take the photo.
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Which one is the camera? I see no lens.
The remote control with smartphone would be better through a bluetooth…wouldn't it? Unless you want to pay that extra money to the corps for Hotspot smartphone. Not worth it just for that.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Following this closely...

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
Neither. On the left is the "back" (or module) for the GoPro camera, on the right is the remote that communicates with that module to control the camera (not shown, not included).
Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
klinquist OP
übergeek

Quote:
The remote control with smartphone would be better through a bluetooth…wouldn't it? Unless you want to pay that extra money to the corps for Hotspot smartphone. Not worth it just for that.
You don't need an existing wifi hotspot (or paying for the ability w/ your cell provider) for this - the wifi bacpac can (err...will, once the software is updated) form its own ad-hoc wifi network.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
so you connect an existing GoPro into it…K. Good if you already own one. Good idea to bring those in.
Must be working on a camera with all this incorporated into it. ?? I wouldn't be interested in buying all that and THEN a camera.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
so you connect an existing GoPro into it…K. Good if you already own one. Good idea to bring those in.
Must be working on a camera with all this incorporated into it. ?? I wouldn't be interested in buying all that and THEN a camera.
I doubt they are. This seems to be their format. They have the base camera, then various backpac add-ons so you add the capability you want. Extra backpac that is a larger battery, LCD view screen that the base camera lacks, or this wifi add-on.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Aviatordoc
BMW K12S rider

Oddometer: 328
I have one on order as well and get it by tuesday.
Aviatordoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
klinquist OP
übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Response from GoPro on "why won't my remote connect"
I must say that updating everything was a breeze on my Mac.

(I also use Windows for many things, I happened to use my Mac for this... )
Old 06-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,249
Thanks for the review.. very interested in this.

Does the camera or the remote indicate the status of the camera? (recording, pause.. etc.).
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
klinquist OP
übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks for the review.. very interested in this.

Does the camera or the remote indicate the status of the camera? (recording, pause.. etc.).
The remote has an LCD that mirrors the one on the camera. It also has a red LED that blinks with the camera's LCD.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 665
One of the most frustrating technology days I've ever had.

followed every step just as listed on the gopro site, and no joy.

camera says it successfully updates, but I plug it back in and it wants to run the update again.

bacpac update freezes in the "importing to device" stage and forces a CineForm restart

I should have known better than to buy one from the first batch.

Guess I'll try tech support monday, was hoping to use it riding tomorrow...
SportFaller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
GodSpeedRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Damn, and I just bought one of those LCD screen pacs. Should I take that back in favor of this?
/?
GodSpeedRally is offline   Reply With Quote