Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #46
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
WiFi bacpac - first real use report

Hi;
I just got back to Michigan today after a 3-day Edelweiss moto tour of the Tyrolian Alps. Fantastic riding and a great chance to try out my new Hero2 and wifi bacpac. Overall - the system is excellent and well suited for riding. Battery and memory card management require a bit of planning - but are fully manageable.

Here I am with the camera on my helmet. Not very attractive, but then neither am I!

Here is my charging setup in the hotel room. You have to deal with three separate devices, but none of them draw enough current to prevent the use of a simple USB hub with reasonable charge times. Note the Zaga aux battery plugged into the wall.

On the bike, I used the battery pack in my tank bag. I could recharge all the devices during a lunch stop. I was able to get 2-3 hours of riding/shooting between charges.

Note that I have both my original Hero and Hero2 on the bike. I only used the Hero2 for filming and kept the old Hero simply to charge a spare battery. The camera sucks battery much faster than the remote and bacpac, so having a spare, charged main battery helped.

I tried strapping the remote to my left arm - but quickly realized it worked much better on the clutch fluid reservoir of the fine BMW 1200RT:

Here is a typical still shot done while riding:

Here is what happens when you get water on the lens!!

Here is a shot on a narrow street. You can see the distortion around the edges from the fisheye lens

Overall- I love this gadget and it did a great job of documenting my ride. I'd like to try the iPhone app when it is ready.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #47
Epictetus70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Smallberries - Thanks for the post and various pic's. I like you have two GoPro's (Hero/Hero 2). I look forward to using the remote.

Ride safe (360 degrees)
Epictetus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #48
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
I tried using mine on a several day camp and ride and was disapointed with the battery life of the remote and bakpak. The remote seems to start going dead the second you take it off the charger and it lasts for about 3 hours. The bakpak seemed to last longer.

I see the guy above used an aux battery pack to charge things up and I imagine that would help. I was only able to use the remote setup for the first half of the day and then had to go back to pushing buttons on the camera for the rest of the day.

I also had an issue where the remote and bakpak lost their connection and would not pair back up. I had to wait until I was back in civilization to search for the manual online and figure out how to pair them up again.

I really liked having the camera display on the remote so I could switch modes while riding and also because I mostly had the camera set to take a photo every 30 seconds and I could see the countdown on the remote which allowed me to be looking the right direction when it would take a photo.

It is a cool setup but it would sure be nice to have a way to totally turn the remote off. As I mentioned, I would probably have been happier if I had some sort of aux battery with lots of USB outputs which I could have used to charge all the parts up.

Sure would have been nice to have had the app so I could have seen how the camera alignment was tho. Someday...
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #49
firebug24k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I'm building a "fake" battery that has two wires that run out of it and will be hooked up to my bike battery. Small switching regulator inline with it to take it down to 3.7V for the camera. I figure less than $20 on parts and a compromise to the waterproofness of the camera, but nothing permanant (can swap with regular battery if necessary). Putting it together this weekend, will report back.
firebug24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #50
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
backup battery

This is what you should have to keep a spare battery alive:
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/battery-bacpac/
You can charge this in your tank bag off an aux battery while the camera sucks one dry.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #51
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
This is what you should have to keep a spare battery alive:
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/battery-bacpac/
You can charge this in your tank bag off an aux battery while the camera sucks one dry.
I had plenty of batteries for the GoPro Camera. The problem is charging up the WiFi BakPak and the remote every few hours. It seems like they could have made the remote last at least 8 hours. I mean how much bigger would it have to be to have a large enough battery for that? 1/8 inch thicker?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #52
firebug24k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I had plenty of batteries for the GoPro Camera. The problem is charging up the WiFi BakPak and the remote every few hours. It seems like they could have made the remote last at least 8 hours. I mean how much bigger would it have to be to have a large enough battery for that? 1/8 inch thicker?
Supposedly the backpac pulls juice from the main camera when it runs out? Is yours not doing that? Just curious.

Agree with the remote, battery life on that is terrible
firebug24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #53
Cloggy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Ok, let me start with saying that I haven't tried it out on a trip yet but, this thing looks like it's going to be a KILLER! Man, what an idea. This is just what I missed.

I paid $92 (!!) to ship 2 of these toys from the official GoPro store to Norway, since we wanted to make sure it would be here in time for our trip. Still cheaper than what this will cost in the local shops though, gives you an idea of how expensive Norway can be. Never mind, I've received them and they are absolutely fabulous.

Kind of bummed out by the responses regarding the Remote battery. I was really hoping I could get a whole day out of it, but I think I better lower some of my expectations. I've got 3 batteries to keep the GoPro going, but those are worthless if the Remote runs out of juice.

Second complaint is the half-ass launch from GoPro, the missing iPhone/Android apps. I mean, seriously GoPro? You launch a product with marketing videos and all, but you forget to tell that we'll have to wait for the other half of the functionalities to work...

Anyway, my girlfriend is going to love this thing, because it will mean I won't have to do those typical bike stunts to turn my GoPro on while I wonder whether it's in the right mode. Besides, I'm expecting to safe memory and battery life since I can time the clips more perfectly.

I'm really looking forward to the app. It must be incredibly awesome to use it in combination with a wheel-bar mounted smarthpone. Check if you're getting that shot without having to leave your bike. I bet that's more dangerous than having to press buttons on the camera though, not sure if this thing will actually make riding safer or not...

Later at night you can use an tabled for reviewing on a bigger screen. You can even think of editing on the spot, what the heck, maybe even upload it from your hotel/camp site!

Although I'm quite new to this site, I hope to contribute as much as I can. In case I don't forget, I'll post a little review of the WiFi BacPac as some other riders already have.
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #54
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,084
The wifi back is the best accessory yet. I had all 3 , camera, wifi pac and remote plug into my Mac and downloaded the
gopro cineform studio and it all updated very easily.
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #55
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

I sent an email to gopro about the wifi backpack battery and got this:

The Wifi Bacpac has its own battery that lasts for 3-4 hours of continuous use. The remote lasts for about 5-6 hours. Once the Wifi Bacpac runs low it will feed off the camera battery and reduce its battery by 25%. check out the link below to learn more about it.
Vermont Covered Bridges
Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #56
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

That is a straight up lie on how long the remote lasts.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #57
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

my remote lasted that long. I would turn it off when I wasn't using it.

the wifi pack I had to plug into the bike and charge it at lunch then all set for another 3 hours
Vermont Covered Bridges
Old 07-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #58
tinpusher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I had problems updating until I Googled issue and read to turn off red C on task bar. Then all was good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
tinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #59
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 155
I had problems updating my HeroHD, but after restarting my computer it worked fine.

I found that as long as all three components start with full charges I can get at least three hours out of everything with room to spare in the remote.

I'm super stoked to have this thing. I mount the camera on my handlebar so it's nice to see the led indicator on the remote so I know when it's recording.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #60
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
is it just me or did GoPro change the ETA of the phone software on the website? I bought the remote about 2 months ago (love it!) and I had in my head their website said end of August for the software app for the phones.

just thought of it last night (trip this weekend) and now it's just saying "Fall 2012".

Was I just dreaming/hoping that it was earlier? or did anyone else see that. I know GoPro is typically really behind on their expectation of release on products. I guess no one there is of the mindset, under promise and over deliver.

and like others, the 3 hours for the remote really sucks. great unit but NO ONE i know uses their GoPro for 3 hours at a time.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote