Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #61
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
I carried a USB backup battery in my tank bag to recharge at rest/lunch stops. A hard-wired USB charger would be even better.
What USB battery bank do you use? I would like to get one that I can charge up while riding during the day and then let it charge all of the GoPro parts at night. I feel a bit uncomfortable leaving something connected up to my bike's battery all night while on a serious back country dual sport ride.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #62
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
What USB battery bank do you use? I would like to get one that I can charge up while riding during the day and then let it charge all of the GoPro parts at night. I feel a bit uncomfortable leaving something connected up to my bike's battery all night while on a serious back country dual sport ride.
i was just looking at the MonoPrice 5000mAh USB battery backup. has 2 USB ports, one 1A and one 2.1A (good for iPads and such). that would charge all the GP stuff and a phone at least a couple of times. About $28

MonoPrice UBS battery pack
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #63
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I have two, both from Radio Shack
-the iGo

http://www.igo.com/mobile-devices/ch...t/ps002730001/

-the Zagg

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zagg...FQjc4AodAxsAmw

the.Zagg takes a long time to charge. If you plug in the GoPro gadgets when the Zagg is empty and try to charge them all from the wall socket, it won't work well. The GoPro batteries will actually drain until the Zagg fills up.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #64
ChrisE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
i was just looking at the MonoPrice 5000mAh USB battery backup. has 2 USB ports, one 1A and one 2.1A (good for iPads and such). that would charge all the GP stuff and a phone at least a couple of times. About $28

MonoPrice UBS battery pack
Glad I found this thread today, I was about to call GoPro to find out if my two WiFi BacPacs were defective as the battery life was short.

I have two Hero cameras and so have ordered two Monoprice battery chargers. I plan to see if I can use them connected to the camera while recording.

It will be interesting to see if this extends the life of the WiFi BacPac use time.
'05 BMW R1200RT
'98 Yamaha R1
'93 Bimota DB2
'76 Honda CB400F
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #65
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,236
I don't have a Go Pro, but has no one done a bike power wired solution for all day power like I have on my VIO POV setup?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #66
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,080
I have tethered the remote, and have extra camera batteries. I just change the camera battery at gas stops so it stays fresh.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #67
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
I don't have a Go Pro, but has no one done a bike power wired solution for all day power like I have on my VIO POV setup?
they make a "skeleton" housing that allows you to plug things into it while it's in use. would be as easy as running a mini USB cable to it. But with the vibration and element of riding, the mini USB will not last long.

they also make an extended battery pack for the go pro that will go all day easily. The problem is the wi-fi remote. it only lasts 3-4 hours if you leave it on all the time.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #68
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Is the remote for the Hero2 waterproof by itself?
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #69
Demoni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post

Yes, but only to 10ft.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #70
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I've had my GoPrio Hero2 and Wi-Fi Backpak/Remote for two days now, finally got everything updated. Now I have two issues: The Hero2 setup mode does not show the 'power on mode' options (I set it originally for stills which is where I intend to use it 95% of the time) and it shows up on the camera screen as such (a good thing). The remote, however, comes on in the video mode...obviously either not mirroring the camera screen or taking over. It also shows an abreviated setup menu with no option for changeing 'power on mode.' AND the camera has locked up twice now, requiring a 'reboot' by removing battery. It does remember my preferences though. The idea here is great (I have no experience yet with the remote battery life, hope I can extend it by turning it on and off as required for my still shots) but it is taking a lot of patience to get it going. High hopes, trip to Colorado coming up in two weeks, lots of photos to take on Million Dollar Highway.
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #71
Peirre O`Bollox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
Yes, but only to 10ft.
but the remote is totally useless underwater, as WI-Fi signals don`t travel thru water
Old 08-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #72
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Liquid Image is making a WiFi camera for $179

http://liquidimageco.com/

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #73
WB81
ADV wanna-bee

Oddometer: 30
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
I've often thought that a remote shutter/record button would be great for conserving battery and SD card space on the Gpro. I haven't used my old Hero in a long time because it is just a PITA but once this set up gets sorted out I may need to spring for a new HD and the WiFi back.
Many times I have been riding down a road and thought "This would make a nice shot" but haven't taken the time to stop and take the photo.
I've never tested this, but the battery seems to drain just as fast when the GoPro is recording or not. Has anyone tested how long a GoPro will last if powered on and not filming? I just got a few 32GB Sandisk SDHC cards (45mbps!) from Amazon for $35 a piece. That lasts for more than 4 hours of continues filming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
You don't need to charge USB devices using a computer. You can get a plug-in AC adapter that includes multiple USB ports for charging. For example.
On my first long ride I had a small solar panel in my tank bag. The internal battery almost had enough power to refill two GoPro batteries. I'd have it fully charged over night and during the day the solar panels could recharge another two batteries. That's almost four full battery charges... The solar panel also served as an awesome LED flashlight and can be attached to metal surfaces via an untested magnet. Too bad the device was confiscated by my mom after the New Years cyclone in India (she had no power for several weeks).

Took 33k+ pics that ride but haven't taken the time to find a way to turn them into a movie. Perhaps in the coming weekends. Been playing more with editing movies created by the GoPro.

I had bought the 3D kit during that time but left the 2nd GoPro at home. In my opinion the 3D isn't all that great. I used nVidia's active shutter glasses and only 3D still pictures from a Fuji camera impressed me. The whole setup also becomes too large...

On my last trip I had my first camera strapped to my torso (best view when not in full face position and seems safer than strapping it to a helmet) and my second camera was suction-cupped to the right fairing. It's pretty awesome to see the front shocks in action and gives me a good idea of how much clearance I sometimes waste in corners...

Can't wait to justify a set of GoPro IIs. Would love to have angle options without sacrificing on resolution.

Anyone interested in buying a used Go Pro HD I? Bodies seem all scuffed up but the most important part, the lens, is completely mint.

Still have the original packaging and I'd replace the lens covers in case there are any scuffs on them.
WB81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #74
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
Just got my go pro remote.

Paired it up to my hero.

Are there any mounts for the remote to attach to handlebars ?
rmhrc628 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #75
KillerPriller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,229
crazy that i did not go to ADV for answers sooner. Sure, Google is the "go to" place for all your web searches, but if you have real practical questions, it seems the guys on ADV know the answer.

so, im pulling my hair out wondering why my wifi back is all honked right out of the box. Ok, downloaded the firmware update, got it sorted. Great.

But where is the iPhone app? I really wanted to see how it all worked.

Quo Vadimus?
KillerPriller is offline   Reply With Quote