Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
nickrp
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ping View Post
I read that the xt250 has the raptor engine..put in a external gas filter for your FI.
Why? Sorry im a newb
nickrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
for the price Honda is way 1 upping Yamaha w/ the F1 CRF250L however
http://powersports.honda.com/2013/crf250l/street.aspx
That opinion is subjective at best.

I'd rather have an older tech engine that's got the pros of reliable/simple air cooling with the + of F.I.
The XT is not only lighter, but it also has more ground clearance (despite a little less suspension travel) and it has the benefit of no radiators to smash and simple to inspect/adjust screw/lock-nut valve adjusters. (and a bigger tank than the Honda)

F.W.I.W. I'm no Yamaha guy (after having owned my 08 XT250) but, I'd still buy it (espescially now) over that wet Honda pig.

B.T.W. Guys with wobbles, it could also be the wheels aren't in true. (mine weren't, it's not just the tires)

Now, if Suzuki would bring the DRZ250S air/oil cooled model back to the US as a D.S. street legal model...everyone else could really take their 250 D.S. models and stick-em!
I mean, it's a baby DR650 = what's not to love?
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
The XT250 was too expensive even when it was carbed.

I'll second that I like the 225 better with it's 6 speed. I even think it looked better too...
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #19
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
The XT250 was too expensive even when it was carbed.

I'll second that I like the 225 better with it's 6 speed. I even think it looked better too...
Both wife and I liked our XT225 so much that we just bought her an 07! The last of the good run! I'd like to sell my BMW G450X and pickup another XT225 to punt around with. G450X is not good for punting around. It's good for hooliganism and impressing ladies with wheelies.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
RigaDorje
Aspiring ADV

Oddometer: 5
I'm interested in buying the 2013 XT250. According to the Yamaha website it's been available since June, but I spoke to a couple of dealers (DC area) and they said Yamaha would be shipping it to them by December . Someone suggested that's perhaps because they're not high-volume dealers.

Does anyone know of a good Yamaha dealer in DC/Maryland/Virginia that might carry the 2013 XT250?

thanks
RigaDorje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #21
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaDorje View Post
I'm interested in buying the 2013 XT250. According to the Yamaha website it's been available since June, but I spoke to a couple of dealers (DC area) and they said Yamaha would be shipping it to them by December . Someone suggested that's perhaps because they're not high-volume dealers.

Does anyone know of a good Yamaha dealer in DC/Maryland/Virginia that might carry the 2013 XT250?

thanks
Hi RigaDorje,

I love my 2007 XT225 but I am seriously considering upgrading to a 2013 XT250; in my opinion the fuel injection is a huge improvement. I notice one dealer in York, PA (about an hour from DC) lists the 2013 as in stock:

Action Motorsports
(877) 380-1644

Cheers,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #22
RigaDorje
Aspiring ADV

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Hi RigaDorje,

I love my 2007 XT225 but I am seriously considering upgrading to a 2013 XT250; in my opinion the fuel injection is a huge improvement. I notice one dealer in York, PA (about an hour from DC) lists the 2013 as in stock:

Action Motorsports
(877) 380-1644

Cheers,
Thanks poolman - just shot them an email.

I'm also stoked about the EFI. Though I read someone say that because the US version is a closed-loop EFI (no oxygen sensor), it cannot make mixture adustments. Can anyone break down the claim? (Perhaps the engineers used another method to enable dynamic adjustments)
RigaDorje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #23
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,142
Just curious if the XT250's have the thin weak spoke/weak rear wheel problems that the XT225's are notorious for?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #24
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:

I'm also stoked about the EFI. Though I read someone say that because the US version is a closed-loop EFI (no oxygen sensor), it cannot make mixture adustments. Can anyone break down the claim? (Perhaps the engineers used another method to enable dynamic adjustments)
I imagine it only looks at the map sensor and air temperature as the variables it can adjust to. Lots of bike are like this.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Just curious if the XT250's have the thin weak spoke/weak rear wheel problems that the XT225's are notorious for?
Nope, that was only the xt225's, the xt250's are great, no problems what so ever.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #26
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,121
Open loop is no oxy sensor, closed loop is using the oxy sensor.

So if it says it runs closed loop, it has an oxy sensor.

Not that it makes any real difference, no bikes use the oxy sensors much, they are just to pass emissions and only work at moderate throttle and rpm's, where no one riding a 250 spends much time.

It sure would be nice if the systems were like cars and used closed loop all the time, then, just like cars, you could change the intake and exhaust and the system would just correct for the changes, without a programer.

As I see it, the xt250 has some drawbacks, a non plated bore, so the bike will run hotter, minimal oil capacity, and 2 valves.
So its going to run hot and not be able to make a good amount of power, and its stuck with a 5 speed trans.
I had a 1981 xt250 and the new bike is likely not one bit better then athat one.
The 81 was 20 pounds lighter, had a 5 speed, had about the same motor, made 22 hp.
So really, 30 years on they make about the exact same bike????

30 years and no 4 valves and a 6 speed trans?

Quote:

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #27
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
If you want 4 valves and a 6-speed, Yamaha offers the WR250R. The XT seems like a nice bike for do-it-yourself types, with no coolant to flush, simple oil changes, simple valve adjustments, and no carb to ever need cleaning after sitting over winter. Kind of a modern version of what the late Gordon Jennings would have called a stone axe motorcycle.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #28
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Open loop is no oxy sensor, closed loop is using the oxy sensor.

So if it says it runs closed loop, it has an oxy sensor.

Not that it makes any real difference, no bikes use the oxy sensors much, they are just to pass emissions and only work at moderate throttle and rpm's, where no one riding a 250 spends much time.

It sure would be nice if the systems were like cars and used closed loop all the time, then, just like cars, you could change the intake and exhaust and the system would just correct for the changes, without a programer.

As I see it, the xt250 has some drawbacks, a non plated bore, so the bike will run hotter, minimal oil capacity, and 2 valves.
So its going to run hot and not be able to make a good amount of power, and its stuck with a 5 speed trans.
I had a 1981 xt250 and the new bike is likely not one bit better then athat one.
The 81 was 20 pounds lighter, had a 5 speed, had about the same motor, made 22 hp.
So really, 30 years on they make about the exact same bike????

You're wrong here...it has Yamahas version of NikaSil. (they just call it something different)
I can vouch for this engine being bullet proof and also note, it's used in the Raptor and Tricker...both very abused types of machines and there are no reports I've heard of, from them going BOOM!

If they fix the quality of their painted pieces, I'd consider another one.

...Owners of the 13...can it still loft the wheel instantly in first and second like the carbed version could?
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #29
silverhead
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi there,

I think I have finally gotten down to the few bikes I'm considering to purchase to scratch the enduro itch. One of them is the XT250.

Do any of you happen to know if the horsepower has increased with the 2013, fuel injected model? I can't find any specifications online anywhere. The carbed version supposedly made 16 horsepower and 13 ft/lb of torque. I like the fact that apparently the bore is coated, the crank bearing is larger, and the piston has been redesigned. But... I can obviously save about half of the purchase price by picking up a used 2008 or 2009 model with hardly any miles on the clock.

Are all of these 2013 changes worth the added price if I were to buy one new? Fuel injection on a bike like these that take a while to warm up on a cold day when using a choke is appealing to me. But, everything I own right now is old, carbureted, and I am used to it and I'll deal with it if there's not a huge difference in power output and projected long term durability of the engine.

Thanks!
silverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #30
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,121
Not sure about the rest of the changes, but just adding FI does not usually boost power.
And say you was to pull the snorkel and open up the exhaust, a carb takes a few $5.00 jets to correct, FI needs a power comander or something expensive to correct it.

I always liked pumper carbs, just as good as FI.
My old XT had a pumper carb stock, ah the good old days...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote