User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Stonefly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
76 R60/6 w/hack

I'm going to check out a 1976 BMW R60/6 with a Thompson CycleCar hack. 46k miles on the odo. Owner says it's mechanically sound with no major issues. Asking $3k. I don't know anything about these old airheads and plan on taking it to my motorcycle mechanic to check out. After researching this bike, it seems like a fair price w/ the hack. Any thoughts on that? I'm looking for a sidecar rig so I can haul my 170lb Mastiff around with me. He's got some pretty serious separation anxiety issues, and I haven't been able to ride my bikes nearly as much as I would like. So I figure a sidecar rig will help me ride more while being able to bring my buddy along for the ride.
Anything in particular I need to look for on this bike? Is it a fair deal? Any thoughts and/or opinions would be much appreciated.

Stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
TheAntiCage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
thats..... red.... and a little bit sexy!
TheAntiCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Some of the other regulars may dissagree but IMH that bikes is selling at about the right price. Not an especailly good deal but priced to sell and it's almost figured out.

It looks like a pretty stock /6 and thats a good thing but understand that if it's close to being all original, youre going to spend some cash.

At 46K miles, it's time to look at servicing the heads and replacing cables, maybe brake shoes, the clutch etc, along with a major service and shocks. (Those shocks are 35 yours old!) Some might ding the bike for the bright red repaint but I won't comment about that but I would be looking for a more powerful bike to haul a car and I'd certainly want a dual disk front end.

I know that R45s and R60s have been used as sidecar hacks for decades but me? I'd be looking for an R90 or an R100. Despite the fact that the sidecar is a light one, adding a 170 dog, your (prehaps) "American style" self and your gear to the R60s load, might leave you with a somewhat glacial riding experience but if youre into hacks, know what to expect and are willing to ride the rig within the capability of the brakes, you'll love it and that makes the $3K buy-in a huge bargain!

Buy the rig and if you don't like it, flip it for the same price and get something that'll better float your boat.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Keep in mind that a mere Ural is 40hp & not ment for the sustained freeway speeds. Your BMW here is about the same HP, well a little less perhaps. The over all weight is less than the Ural but at least the Ural was infact ment to be hooked to a side car. (Huge bike frame to start w/.) Depending on your phyical condition, it could be a workout.

This red package looks to be on the light duty side. You could still have tons of fun but if you have to push it out of a parking spot, unload the big 170 lb riding budy. By the way my riding buddy is more like 70 lb but we have a reverse on our hack.
What ever you get, you & your buddy are in for a lot of fun.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
notacop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
red sidecar rig

I recently sold a '78 80/7 with a Ural in Glorious black for $3000. It's a fair price for an old rig. Some dealers try to get over 10K bucks and their rigs sit for years.
The chair will fly on Right hand turns and the evil ways of sidecar handling will become amusing after a while. It will be a slug with the 600cc motor. Don't expect to go fast with it. Do expect to wave to a lot of smiling folks and be prepared to be held up at gas stops with visitors that want to talk.
notacop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,012
Slow I think might be an understatement but it will be plenty of fun for you and your friend. You might have trouble at faster highway speeds or climbing larger hills.

That side car looks pretty basic. I don't know much about them but I think you might post this in the Side Car forum. Do we have one of those? Like everything else quality should be of premium value. Find out something about that brand of side car.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Stonefly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the advice and information, I appreciate it. As a hack noob, do you think this setup might be more difficult to handle than something like a Ural that is designed with a hack from the beginning? And as far as power goes, I'm about 225-235lbs fully geared up, plus my 170lb Mastiff... is that going to be too much for this R60? Is it wishful thinking to hope I can cruise along a two-lane road at 55mph?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
From what I can see, that s/c chassis and mounting system seems a bit willowy for the load it would be carrying.
robtg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
thanks for the advice and information, I appreciate it. As a hack noob, do you think this setup might be more difficult to handle than something like a Ural that is designed with a hack from the beginning? And as far as power goes, I'm about 225-235lbs fully geared up, plus my 170lb Mastiff... is that going to be too much for this R60? Is it wishful thinking to hope I can cruise along a two-lane road at 55mph?
300 lbs of passengers + gear + car and subframe? Yes, I thing that that little R60 will be a bit outclassed.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
PaulRS
Dutch fool

Oddometer: 718
My 2 cents.

As with all things hacks, if you are handy with tools, nothing is a problem.

I see a nice project here.
A few upgrades; 900cc cylinders, heads and carb's, LL forks and a bit of re-engineering on the sidecar mounts will make this a very enjoyable rig.

Paul.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,012
My original comment was it looked basic. I don't know tho if that is basic, heavy duty good, or basic, starting point for up grades or basic as in it will be out dated as soon as it hits the street. I see no hydraulics going to the S/C for brakes. No electric for same or lights. I think brake lights rear lights even headlights are things found on side cars.

Now that it is raised, the issue of the S/C frame, that does not look sturdy at all.

The Ural side cars may get good ratings but I think the rest of the Ural gets low grades. They have a nice looking Ural at Bob's that has a BMW R100 engine in it. It has been fixed in several areas I'm sure. I forget what they are asking but they have had it for several months.

I think you have to find somebody with real time experience with this brand side car to get an idea what they are like.

And the Beemer here is a '76 so it can be up graded to R100 Nikasil specs but it's a little more than up grading some others. The R60 has a different cam you may also want to exchange. Doable but not as simple as some others.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Stonefly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Y'all have raised some interesting points. I'm still planning to go check it out in person this weekend, but I think I'll probably pass on this rig and keep looking for something that is better suited to my purpose of hauling around an insanely large dog. I'm not terribly interested in getting something that will require major upgrades in power, strength, and stability. Mainly because I don't have the time to take on such a project, which would result in paying someone to do it. Might as well be patient and find something that is closer to what I need right from the start. Thanks for your help fellas!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRS View Post
My 2 cents.

As with all things hacks, if you are handy with tools, nothing is a problem.

I see a nice project here.
A few upgrades; 900cc cylinders, heads and carb's, LL forks and a bit of re-engineering on the sidecar mounts will make this a very enjoyable rig.

Paul.
Yeah.... And don't forget tha cam swap.

If youre goung to do all of that (...expensive work), you may as well find a different bike and be done with it.