User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Greece/Bulgaria Border

Both are in the European Union, so I am wondering if there are border guards manning the border between the two countries.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
Both are in the European Union, so I am wondering if there are border guards manning the border between the two countries.
It's Schengen that permits free movement, not the EU and Bulgaria's not in it so yes, in theory, the border will be guarded, passports required and queues mandatory :)
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

What is the experience with these borders? Do they stamp your passport? Or a quick check?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,773
Getting into Bulgaria (from Romania) two years ago was not a big deal but there's a process to be followed and big, ugly border guards to enforce it and boss you about a little but they were generally helpful. Heading for Athens, crossing the Bulgarian/Greek border just north of Sidirokastro was easy, just a cursory check of your paperwork.

Decent little hotel on the hill above Sidirokastro if you're interested, called the Agnatio. €35 if I remember correctly and great linguine for dinner.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
matapo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Easy pass for EU citizens. I dont think you ll have any problems.
Just a simple paper check (green card and passport).

Send me a pm if you need any help :-)

matapo screwed with this post 08-10-2014 at 10:07 AM
matapo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,236
Summer 2012 Greece to Bulgaria, US Citizen, Big, manned border control with small line mid day. Just a quick glance at papers and on my way in 1 minute.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

When you say a quick glance, is that literal, or do they scan it into their computer system?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,773
You on the run?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

You might say that.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #10
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Long story short: I entered Greece last month from Albania with no problems. Traveled through Greece for a few weeks, then visited Turkey for three weeks. My girlfriend flew from Canada to meet me in Istanbul. After Istanbul, we left for Greece. She took a bus, I rode my motorcycle. Got to the Greek border and was refused entry because I don't have an international driver's permit (which I didn't realize was a requirement for Greece). I was told to return to Turkey. My girlfriend was alone and I was supposed to meet her, and she didn't know where she was going once she got to Greece. Without really thinking a whole lot, I sped off into Greece from the border instead of returning to Turkey. So, I guess I am here illegally since I was not granted permission to enter.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:39 AM   #11
catweasel67
Banned

Your non-EU passport is gonna merit some additional checks...

Personally I think you're better off trying to walk yourself back from your current issue. I'd get an IDP, return to the same border where you had an issue, maybe claim that you're returning as you thought you were meant to once you got the IDP...face the music in other words but try to mitigate the damage. Got any Greek friends who can help - thing'll go easier if they go with you and do the talking.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Skibikejunkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Long story short: I entered Greece last month from Albania with no problems. Traveled through Greece for a few weeks, then visited Turkey for three weeks. My girlfriend flew from Canada to meet me in Istanbul. After Istanbul, we left for Greece. She took a bus, I rode my motorcycle. Got to the Greek border and was refused entry because I don't have an international driver's permit (which I didn't realize was a requirement for Greece). I was told to return to Turkey. My girlfriend was alone and I was supposed to meet her, and she didn't know where she was going once she got to Greece. Without really thinking a whole lot, I sped off into Greece from the border instead of returning to Turkey. So, I guess I am here illegally since I was not granted permission to enter.
I'd give it a try. But that's just me. Or see about getting such a driving permit in Greece if you want to try and mitigate the risk. You're out to have an adventure, after all, aren't you?

'05 Husky TC 250 (Marianne)
'05 VStrom 1000
Skibikejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm not so much concerned about the driving permit now that I am already here and will be leaving. I have decided to only enter into countries that do not require an IDP since it will take me longer to get one than I have left on this trip. The process requires (snail) mailing passport-sized photos along with the application form back to Canada and having the automobile association process the application and mail it back to me (at my no fixed address?).

My main concern now is what to do about entering the country without permission. If I leave the country, maybe they will just deport me, or allow me to self-deport. I haven't completely decided what to do, but we'll see what happens on Thursday or Friday.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #14
catweasel67
Banned

Quote:
I'm not so much concerned about the driving permit now that I am already here and will be leaving. I have decided to only enter into countries that do not require an IDP since it will take me longer to get one than I have left on this trip. The process requires (snail) mailing passport-sized photos along with the application form back to Canada and having the automobile association process the application and mail it back to me (at my no fixed address?).

My main concern now is what to do about entering the country without permission. If I leave the country, maybe they will just deport me, or allow me to self-deport. I haven't completely decided what to do, but we'll see what happens on Thursday or Friday.
I know you're not gonna do it but FWIW there's a system that operates across much of Europe (and a fair part of the world) called Poste Restante. Send almost anything to:

Name of the recipient (as it appears on your ID)
POSTE RESTANTE
Address of post office you want to use (best use a main one)
Postcode
City
Country.

I've used it a few times for small parcels and letters.

Good luck getting out of Greece and please let us know what happened.

catweasel67 screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 07:15 AM
Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 AM   #15
babisadve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Try to enter from less busy border.
Possible not checking u out.
If there is any problem just cry...!! say u didn't understand etc etc.
Probably u won't have any issues.
If they return u back, try another not busy border.
babisadve is offline   Reply With Quote