Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
slashtommy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
We were in the Balkans in August/September 2012 on Irish registered bikes, insured with Liberty (formerly Quinn). Green card cost €50 and covered Croatia, Albania and Macedonia.

We crossed into Bosnia at Brod in the north. Initially we had problems buying insurance because it was a Sunday and the office was closed. Eventually we got someone to sell us insurance at €36 for 7 days.

Crossed into Montenegro coming from Dubrovnik, insurance cost €10.

We entered Kosovo from Rožaje in Montenegro. Kosovo is not part of the green card system, insurance was €15.

Interestingly leaving Macedonia we were asked for our insurance/green card at the exit border, when we were heading into Bulgaria. All other exit borders only wanted to see passports and registration documents.
slashtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Hello , is there option to buy insurance for Bulgaria at the Bulgarian border (entering from Romania) and what documents for the bike are requested ???????

Habibi Rocks screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 01:42 PM
Habibi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
slashtommy
Adventurer

Bulgaria is covered as standard with any EU motor insurance policy.

They may request your vehicle registration. Although this was not needed when I traveled between Bulgaria and Romania this summer… a passport was enough.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
jetjackson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Cheers for the updates.

As per below Bulgaria covered by any Euro policy.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #20
beebeer54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Croatia will become the 28th EU member country on 1 July 2013. Handy site is http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/index_en.htm
beebeer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
slashtommy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashtommy View Post
We were in the Balkans in August/September 2012 on Irish registered bikes, insured with Liberty (formerly Quinn). Green card cost €50 and covered Croatia, Albania and Macedonia.
I should add that we were able to obtain a green card for "The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia". I had previously requested and been denied a green card for just "Macedonia".

Country names can be confusing as well as politically sensitive.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
eldaifo
ogden in disguise

Oddometer: 9
Information about getting insurance in Bosnia seems really sketchy, this thread aside, and it was the one I was most concerned about on a recent trip. It was also the only country on our route that I couldn't get a green card for before leaving. So, my experiences from that trip, in case they're of any use.

Serbia: Entered near Dimitrovgrad from Bulgaria. No paperwork checks whatsoever, just a cursory flash of the passport and a disappointingly faint stamp. Serbia's now signed up to the agreement on motor insurance so EU policies should be valid.

Montenegro: Entered south of Novi Pazar, can't find the name of the border crossing itself (I told our local contact we were entering at Granicni Prelaz, and then felt like a right plum when he told me what that meant). They wanted to see full paperwork on entry, though like everyone else on the trip they were a bit baffled by my white green card. Didn't notice anywhere there to buy one if I hadn't already got cover, and they really were keen on the paperwork so probably not a great place to rock up in hope of buying at the border.

Bosnia: Entered from Montenegro at Vilusi, just east of Niksic. The chap in the booth only knew two words of English: "green card". Alas, I didn't know enough local lingo to explain that I didn't have one and needed to buy one. Eventually another chap appeared and spoke enough English for us to get things sorted.

My passport was stamped, and then I had to park up just after the booth and walk down to the second building on the right where another chap behind a desk was happy to sell me 3 days' cover for a bike for €21. Once I'd got the insurance cert I just had to walk back, show it to the chap in the booth, and I was free to go.

Croatia joined the EU while we were away, and entering from Bosnia at Gradishka was just a simple paperwork and passport check. They wanted to see vehicle documents, but didn't know one side of a DVLA V5 from the other so it was a bit of a waste of time. UK policy was fine though, it being the EU.

The only country that was proper ball-ache to enter was Turkey, and even that was easier than I expected.

KTM990SMT | GSXR1000
eldaifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #23
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 525
For me the only country that wasn't covered by my green card was Kosovo. I entered from Albania, insurance was 15€, cash only. I didn't carry enough €'s so I paid in a mix of Albanian Lek and €.
Borders themselves were never a problem, just the usual paper checks and I was on my way.
LethPhaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #24
Andysr6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hi, just back from a 5 week tour including the Balkans. i did not have a Green card but my UK insurance covered me for everywhere except Albania, Montenegro & Bosnia.

Albania; entered south of Leskovic, waved through without insurance
Montenegro; entered from Albania near vermosh waved through without insurance
Bosnia; had to pay 21 Euros for minimum of 3 days cover
Andysr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #25
Shirtfaced
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Excellent thread! I'm doing a tour of Eastern Europe in October so this has been really useful. I don't suppose anybody has any similar information for Ukraine and Moldova?
Shirtfaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 AM   #26
Teabar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
So if my own insurance doesn't cover me for my time in Bosnia and Montenegro (this coming summer) and I buy 'insurance' at the respective border, what do I get for my money? What am i insured for? Does it cover bike theft etc, etc, etc? Ta
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:58 AM   #27
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teabar View Post
So if my own insurance doesn't cover me for my time in Bosnia and Montenegro (this coming summer) and I buy 'insurance' at the respective border, what do I get for my money? What am i insured for? Does it cover bike theft etc, etc, etc? Ta
it is only 3dr party insurance. Nothing to cover you or your bike. It is to make sure the other party can claim if you ride your bike into their 1986 Merc 230 and dent the already rusted door.

If you buy at the border post it is normally much more expensive.
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:28 AM   #28
Teabar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michnus View Post
it is only 3dr party insurance. Nothing to cover you or your bike. It is to make sure the other party can claim if you ride your bike into their 1986 Merc 230 and dent the already rusted door.

If you buy at the border post it is normally much more expensive.
Thanks. Is there any way of getting theft insurance from them, for an extra premium? Or do I have to hammer that out with my own insurer and see if they'll cover me? I don't like the idea of having no theft cover, anywhere - I've had 5 bikes nicked in my time
Old 01-20-2014, 05:32 AM   #29
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teabar View Post
Thanks. Is there any way of getting theft insurance from them, for an extra premium? Or do I have to hammer that out with my own insurer and see if they'll cover me? I don't like the idea of having no theft cover, anywhere - I've had 5 bikes nicked in my time
Well it depends if you are from EU. Maybe your insurer at home will cover some EU countries. But as a rule, no insurer will touch a bike or car or moving anything for insurance when doing long distance far away trips. In South Africa our insurance will cover till Malawi for example but not countries above that. Risk is your own.

We met two Pommies in Spain and one guy trashed his bike. His UK insurer covered him for that. Do not think UK insurance will go as far as Balkans and such.

Sleep with bike in room ;)
Also why it is never a good idea doing such trips or round the world trips with new expensive bikes.
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #30
Teabar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michnus View Post
Well it depends if you are from EU. Maybe your insurer at home will cover some EU countries. But as a rule, no insurer will touch a bike or car or moving anything for insurance when doing long distance far away trips. In South Africa our insurance will cover till Malawi for example but not countries above that. Risk is your own.

We met two Pommies in Spain and one guy trashed his bike. His UK insurer covered him for that. Do not think UK insurance will go as far as Balkans and such.

Sleep with bike in room ;)
Also why it is never a good idea doing such trips or round the world trips with new expensive bikes.
Food for thought indeed