Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
did front brakes change from 74 to 75 in any way?

Motorcycle superstore has a listing for Bikemaster brake pads, but only for 75-76 for the /6. Was going to give them a try, but there is not a listing for 74. Everything I see on max bmw and huckey show its the same for all 74-76. Just wanted to check up if there was something I was missing?
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
just a typical aftermarket supplier fuck-up. Get used to it.
Pads are the same from 74 through the1980 models (except for the R65)
The only difference between the 74 and later were the hydraulics.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
just a typical aftermarket supplier fuck-up. Get used to it.
Pads are the same from 74 through the1980 models (except for the R65)
The only difference between the 74 and later were the hydraulics.
thanks man, and for shits and giggles what were those differences?
Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Old 06-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,042
Brembo pads are another story. I see the wrong pads in Brembo's quite often. They look the same but they are not. K bike Brembo's (which are on Monolevers) are bigger and beefier and take a bigger pad. The pads for the smaller airhead Brembo's will slide right in but they are too small. The calipers and the pads are almost the same size but they are not. Just a heads up. Even dealerships use to make the mistake all the time from what I could tell.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
thanks man, and for shits and giggles what were those differences?
The only differences were single or dual caliper/rotor/MC and 40mm marked calipers or 38mm unmarked caliper/s. Pads same for all ATE /6/7.

Lots of aftermarket parts catalogs are stupid/ignorant about make/year/model.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,029
Isn't anybody going to mention the front Ate disc on a '74 is not drilled? It's the most visible difference.

What hydraulic differences?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,857
At some point, BMW went sane and moved the master cylinder from under the tank to on the handlebar, where God wanted it. I believe this was done in 1977, with the /7 model.
Otherwise, all of the disc brakes were ATE sliding pin POSes that are a lot better than the Fred Flintstone drag your feet style that people used in the 50,000B.C.E. era.

But not by much

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
mfp4073 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray of Sunshine View Post
At some point, BMW went sane and moved the master cylinder from under the tank to on the handlebar, where God wanted it. I believe this was done in 1977, with the /7 model.
Its wasnt the 77s that did it. Worked on a friends with one under the tank.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray of Sunshine View Post
Otherwise, all of the disc brakes were ATE sliding pin POSes that are a lot better than the Fred Flintstone drag your feet style that people used in the 50,000B.C.E. era.

But not by much
It wasn't till '80 or '81? Real calipers and a real MC at the same time. Add some real brake lines and you have some decent brakes even by today's standards. ATE's are an uphill battle from the drawing board. There are very good reasons why no one uses that design anymore. Very few ever did but here they are on some of our bikes. Not much you can do with them after you get them working as best they will but get a better MC and calipers. At least two ATE's will work better than a BMW drum but then BMW drums were never very impressive either. How could they be with shoe linings made out of diamond dust.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Let me clear up some misconceptions
BMW didn't move the master cylinder on the bikes until the introduction of the 81 models IN THE SUMMER OF 80.
Eariler (in late 1978) The R45&R65 bikes were introduced. They were a platform for many continuing ideas that BMW was working on. Almost a test bed bike.
One of the major new ideas was the Handlebar mounted master cylinder.
It had a round reservoir tank that was not removable. When they put master cylinders on the bars on ALL their bikes in 81, the R65 also switched over to the newer rectangular replaceable reservoir.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,756
It's well known that SS doesn't consider the ATE swinging brakes worth a damn. Then there are those of us who can make them work pretty damn well and consider them as good as the two piston Brembos, but take a bit more fiddling to set up correctly. They may not handle continuous heavy braking as well as the brembos, but that's speculation since they've always worked well enough for me and others I know who ride with them. There are even guys who race using the ATE swinging calipers.

So just because SS hates them and bad mouths them every chance, don't get the idea they're crap and good for scrap only.

BTW, if you stick around here for longer than a month, you'll see this discussion again, with about the same results every time.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Isn't anybody going to mention the front Ate disc on a '74 is not drilled? It's the most visible difference.

"The only difference.."

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
supershaft
because I can

Ws, why are you telling readers what I think? You don't have a clue and are WAY off base.

Let's step back from your feelings about my accurate discussion of ATE caliper design and function disguised as claiming that I hate ATE calipers and get back on topic.

RoS pointed out that they don't work well and I agreed by pointing out that they are a dead end design for many reasons. That is a fact of history at this point in time. I don't hate ATE calipers. I just don't have to con myself into believing that they work as well as modern caliper designs like Brembo's in order to make them work as well as they can in setting them up and using them.

Twin piston Brembo's work not as well but just like ALL modern calipers. Calipers are radially mounted these days but they are the exact same basic design in form and function as our Brembo's. I can understand many riders not getting into the difference while riding. Hard braking is a skill most riders do not have but if you can't see how and why Brembo's work better by looking at their designs on paper, you need to think. One piston versus two is the tip of the iceberg. Their main weakness is swinging on such a short radius expecting two flats, not points, to make full contact. Hate has NOTHING to do with it. It's SS dealing with reality.

supershaft screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 11:06 PM
Old 06-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,756

Ok, so you don't hate them.

But with all the reasons given why they don't work worth a damn it sure gives that impression.

And I won't argue that newer calipers are a better design.

Logic aside, the swinging, one-piston ATE calipers can be made to work very well and comparable to the two-piston Brembos.

Those who have the earlier ATEs and want improved brakes (and don't know they can work well) are getting the wrong idea that their systems are archaic crap that never worked well and should be scrapped immediately.

That's BS, and I want them to know that.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post

Those who have the earlier ATEs and want improved brakes (and don't know they can work well) are getting the wrong idea that their systems are archaic crap that never worked well and should be scrapped immediately.

That's BS, and I want them to know that.
For sure, if you know how to adjust them properly, they work very well to all except those who race/stress the bike beyond any rational/safe public street/hiway protocol. That's a tiny percentage of Airheads.

If you don't service and adjust them properly, poor function is a mechanic issue, not a brake issue.

Very easy to set them dead on for adjustment if you know how. If you don't, danged near impossible. Like any procedure, too many others just guess and fiddle without reference to the manual, or just any Airhead with far deeper experience and skill.

Doesn't surprize me at all that some don't know how, so claims and testamonials about how bad they are is the result.

In typical normal use, the factory pads last danged near forever. Just a fresh set of pads can make a very big difference if yours are 30 years old, even though they are nothing like worn thin.

I am like Wirespokes. When I see stupid advise, I want to point it out to the potential victims who don't have the background to know the difference.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote