Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #46
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 5,886
Sure, and back then we thought that air-cooled, sub-litre bikes putting out 45Hp with 2-valves/per and a swingarm was adequate. But check back in another 30 years and we'll compare notes...

(I agree with you but feeling a bit pedantic t'day...)
Old 06-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #47
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post

Who says the Ate system doesn't look cool? I think the fat Ate calipers hanging down behind the fork leg are the sexiest looking brakes around. Who cares if they actually work?

I'd go as far to say the ATES's look more Italian than the Brembos and the Brembos operate in a more Germanic manner than the ATE's.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #48
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Who says the Ate system doesn't look cool? I think the fat Ate calipers hanging down behind the fork leg are the sexiest looking brakes around. Who cares if they actually work?

Here ya go, sexy boy:

Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #49
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,473
Quote:
I am in the process of making my Ate system a dual set up.
I have a complete (actually two) dual-disc setups on my shelf.. and two single-disc airheads in my shop. One of these days I'll also make the switch. It does indeed look cool!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #50
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray of Sunshine View Post
On the subject of ATE brakes, I had somewhat seriously considered pitching it and replacing it with a Grimeca four leading shoe unit. Looks way cool, unlike the ATE.
Just about anything that I have seen do real well at the races time and time again becomes in my eye what looks real cool or more generally what works real well raced or not. If rules permitted, everyone racing our bikes quickly moved on from our ATE calipers. No one else ever used them because they didn't HAVE to. That's not attractive in my book. Especially chromed or polished! But to each their own. I do know how to set up ATE's and they can work decent by 70's standards but they have almost no racing heritage or a good reputation among MOST riders so . . . +1 RoS. I can live with them but cool? A . . . no!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #51
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Just about anything that I have seen do real well at the races time and time again becomes in my eye what looks real cool or more generally what works real well raced or not. If rules permitted, everyone racing our bikes quickly moved on from our ATE calipers. No one else ever used them because they didn't HAVE to. That's not attractive in my book. Especially chromed or polished! But to each their own. I do know how to set up ATE's and they can work decent by 70's standards but they have almost no racing heritage or a good reputation among MOST riders so . . . +1 RoS. I can live with them but cool? A . . . no!
True...but in the sprit of our NZ pre 76' class I feel a certain obligation to running period correct parts ( that are visible)
I chose a BMW partly because of cost ( compared to a Norton or Ducati) and the fact here they have always had a rep here in NZ as an 'old mans' bike....

The guys who take it seriously run Brembos, Avon race tyres, straightened induction ports....etc.....I just like being part of the scene.

Coolest moment recently for me was at a recent track day in the wet passing and staying ahead of Ducati 748 ( and others) .....
I had the oldest bike by probably 20 years there.....got my pic in the club mag......
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote