Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
Gixxer2go OP
Just happy to ride...

Oddometer: 142
FactoryPro Jet Kit...cure for what ails your carbs!

Just had a FactoryPro jet kit installed during my first service, and what a difference in behavior it made! No more popping on decceleration, no more 5 to 10 minute warm-ups, half-choke starts, and red-line comes at you a lot faster! I drove away from the shop on a back country road "touring pace" ride for about 130 miles; 45 to 65 mph, and filled up when the flashing light came on at a little over 190 miles. Here are the pieces I had used in my kit:

Main - 175 front, 180 rear (recommended for aftermarket exhaust - "Wings")
Pilot - from 42 to 45
Needles - supplied needles at recommended settings for sea level
Air Screw - recommended settings for same at sea level

The kit is pretty complete with various main sizes, and the cost was a little over $100. THIS qualifies to me as a VERY GOOD UPGRADE. Highly recommended! BTW, no canister-ectomy yet...surprised me when I didn't have any more popping when slowing down!
Gixxer2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
Jeepboy
Roost

Oddometer: 560
Are you sure that it is not running too rich on bottom? Most higher performance engines tend to pop on closed throttle deceleration from high rpm.
Jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
Gixxer2go OP
Just happy to ride...

Running rich...

Not sure, JB. Just had the jet kit installed with FactoryPro's recommendations. I'm hoping they did their homework so I don't have to...part of the price of admission, I'd guess!

I also understood the canister-ectomy would yield the same results, with or without the jet kit. Might be mistaken on that though...will have to re-read the posts.

However, there's no discernible flat spots, surging, coughing, backfires, or popping going on right now. I only had the popping on decel, and this is a new bike. I'm sure it's richer down low with the larger pilot jet though. Had the same issue with my 625, added a jet kit (same company), and it gave the same results. That had a slight flat spot in the lower rev range, but contacted the jetting guru and changed needle positions; that seemed to clean it right up. Very strong now.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
I also got some good results with the Factory Pro kit. I did remove the SAS and all the canister crap. I raised the needles and adjusted like most on the list did but it was still poping like mad on decel. I put in the Factory Pro kit and everything was awsome! It also has more power all over.
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
thugdog
Druid Revisionist

Oddometer: 396
sea level

Agreed....extra nice kit. Please clarify your position relative to sea level (e.g., near, above, far above, below perhaps?).

....there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution
thugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

I am at sea level. I have had it to 6k' and still kicks ass!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,753
Interesting info here along with dyno charts....did you catch the customer comments referenced on the page. Do you know who that FF might be?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:57 PM   #8
Gixxer2go OP
Just happy to ride...

I'm at 500 above sea level, give or take a few hundred feet. Touring on Saturday across middle TN up to about 1500-2000 feet at times I suppose; no problems whatsoever. More riding today gave the same results, only now I'm enjoying the bursts of flawless acceleration more

Also noticed that I barely had to use the choke to start after sitting warm for a couple hours today, and drove right away. Before the jet kit, I always had to use at least 2/3 to 3/4 or full choke to start after sitting for more than an hour.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:04 AM   #9
barbasma
100% CAROTONE

Oddometer: 1,821
interesting...

some link where is possible to buy?
www.lc8.org
www.adventureschool.it
KTM 950 ADV S 2003 80.000 KM..... and gooooo...
barbasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:16 AM   #10
Jeepboy
Roost

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer2go
I'm at 500 above sea level, give or take a few hundred feet. Touring on Saturday across middle TN up to about 1500-2000 feet at times I suppose; no problems whatsoever. More riding today gave the same results, only now I'm enjoying the bursts of flawless acceleration more

Also noticed that I barely had to use the choke to start after sitting warm for a couple hours today, and drove right away. Before the jet kit, I always had to use at least 2/3 to 3/4 or full choke to start after sitting for more than an hour.
How does your bike idle? When you slow down to a stop does engine idle high for a few seconds before dropping down?
Jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:11 AM   #11
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepboy
Most higher performance engines tend to pop on closed throttle deceleration from high rpm.
Even stronger than that, they all do. When an engine with carbs doesn't pop on decell you can bet your right hand it's way to rich. Textbook behaviour. Needing the choke less or not at all only confirms this.

Note that on most bikes with stock pipes (in general) you barely hear the popping on decell.

The Factory kits we tried & tested (950, LC4, Honda Hawk 647 and some others) had one thing in common. They flooded the engines with too much fuel. Maybe because fuel is so cheap in the US. When you drop such settings into a bone stock engine, choked and asthmatic for fuel by emission & noise regs, they're bound to make a difference. This is exactly what the dyno-graph on the website show too. Misleading and not the way it should be done IMO. A rich mixture is not good for engine life either BTW. Another thing that annoyed me with this kit for the 950 is the on-off throttle response. Faster for sure (rich mixture) but too snatchy and jerky too. Not nice at all when accelerating out of turns cranked over far, hairpins and stuff like that.

As a sidenote: the jet sizes Gixxer mentioned are of no reference with the stock fuel needles. Jet sizes are highly dependent on the fuel needles used.

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:10 AM   #12
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbasma
interesting...

some link where is possible to buy?
Click on the "here" link in K7lro's post. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 PM   #13
Gixxer2go OP
Just happy to ride...

JB, no behavior like that at all. Throttle responsiveness is very good, power builds instantly as stock, but stronger. No lingering rpm's when you let off the throttle.

Interesting comments, KTMax. I'll surely allow things are running richer, but richer is better than leaner, no? I understood that running leaner increases engine heat as well as causes the undesirable (to me, anyway) symptoms I mentioned. Sorry about the lack of info on the needles...they were the ones supplied by FactoryPro at the recommended settings for our altitude in the Nashville, TN area. Well, I'm no expert...perhaps you have a recommendation for jetting changes that's worked well in your testing. I've read about changing the needle clip; any main or pilot recommendations would also be welcome.

I'm definitely happier with the performance offered by the kit though. I haven't noticed the behavior you observed in your testing, but maybe it's a difference in the models (mine's a new '05). Any "richness" really is offset by the power gain, better running and starting, etc. If anyone else is interested, the link is here.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #14
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Gixxer2go said

"but maybe it's a difference in the models (mine's a new '05). Any "richness" really is offset by the power gain, better running and starting, etc. If anyone else is interested, the link is here."

A quick check of your parts manuel will show that nothing has been changed in the carburation of your model.

KTMAX said

"As a sidenote: the jet sizes Gixxer mentioned are of no reference with the stock fuel needles. Jet sizes are highly dependent on the fuel needles used."

My wideband tuning confirms that this important comment is correct.

KTMAX said

"Even stronger than that, they all do. When an engine with carbs doesn't pop on decell you can bet your right hand it's way to rich. Textbook behaviour. Needing the choke less or not at all only confirms this."

The wideband confirms that on the LC8 this comment is correct.

Gixxer2go It would be interesting to hear some comments on your fuel consumption.

Ktmax have you had a chance to check to see if your new needels are titanium?
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #15
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

If Gsxxer2go is talking the same popping that I had, it was awfull! I worked next to a National Guard office and every morning on my way in I would get some dirty looks. I am surprised that they didn't draw their weapons thinking I was shooting at them. After installing the Factory Pro jet kit, the popping is gone and my gas milage is the same if not a little better. I was able to get to 175 miles and no reserve light yet (about 42mpg). That was the best milage to date. I usually get around 38. The kit I got came with a Ti needles and various jets. I just followed their recomendations and havn't looked back.