User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #16
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
KTMNATE,

Do you have pipes on your bike and the airbox mod?

Thanks.
wsmc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:27 PM   #17
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc99
KTMNATE,

Do you have pipes on your bike and the airbox mod?

Thanks.
I have the Akrapovic pipes (insert removed most of the time) and no air box mods.
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #18
ScubaJKD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer2go
Just had a FactoryPro jet kit installed during my first service, and what a difference in behavior it made! No more popping on decceleration, no more 5 to 10 minute warm-ups, half-choke starts, and red-line comes at you a lot faster! I drove away from the shop on a back country road "touring pace" ride for about 130 miles; 45 to 65 mph, and filled up when the flashing light came on at a little over 190 miles. Here are the pieces I had used in my kit:

Main - 175 front, 180 rear (recommended for aftermarket exhaust - "Wings")
Pilot - from 42 to 45
Needles - supplied needles at recommended settings for sea level
Air Screw - recommended settings for same at sea level

The kit is pretty complete with various main sizes, and the cost was a little over $100. THIS qualifies to me as a VERY GOOD UPGRADE. Highly recommended! BTW, no canister-ectomy yet...surprised me when I didn't have any more popping when slowing down!
Have to agree with you on this kit. I installed it along with airbox mod, remus cans, and 16t. I swear it is not the same bike and no popping. Just smooth running, less heat, and **S hauling power. WINNER in my Book.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:23 PM   #19
Gixxer2go OP
Just happy to ride...

Oddometer: 142
K2M, I was expecting to hit reserve on that first run after the jet kit install right around the 160 mile mark like several others had posted. My other fill-ups have come on around 160 to 175 miles. I got a little nervous when it got to 180, and still no flashing light, no incrementing mileage count. I actually wondered if maybe they had disconnected the "low fuel" lamp during the service by accident!

When it rolled over 195, the low fuel light came on. I was pretty amazed. As I noted earlier, the only mods are the Wings titanium exhausts with 28mm baffle and the jet kit. I was also riding two-up, mostly in the 50 to 65 mph range because of the rural roads. I suspect the low speed gave me some extra mileage, but I would have guessed the two-up riding to decrease it.

Anyway, these two mods have really won me over. I haven't done the canister-ectomy yet because I'm leaving on a 3000 mile trip in June and I didn't want to deal with too many variables, particularly if I needed to get service on the road. To me, the jet kit was worth the little bit of money it cost to get the user-friendly behavior. The exhaust was worth the money for dropping the cats and shedding the heat. I confess, it's probably the earliest I've ever made pipe mods to a new bike before, but I owe that decision to the good advice and insights offered by the advrider gang
Gixxer2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:31 PM   #20
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
The jet kit sounds good, and I'm glad so many are having positive results, but I have to say my 04 with Remus cans, sorted carbs, vents, cannister removed, etc. and raised needles runs just as well as what most of you guys are describing post FP jet kit. Hopefully there is an acutal difference, and we can chock it up to the communication medium, but I'm damn happy with mine as well.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 PM   #21
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
I have talked to Luv2lean about his 950 and his runs perfectly. No back-firing nothing. His is an '04 with the Akrapovic, Home made air box mod and the needle's raised one notch. He still has the canister crap on his bike but the damn thing runs good. There had been some mention of KTM using different jets with different years. I havn't confirmed anything other than my '05 compaired to an '04 which responded differently to the carb mods. I too thought it was kind of wierd but I still don't have an answer.
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #22
crisgen950
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have read your very interesting post.

I write from Italy and I have a KTM 950 oranges 2004.

Before reading your post I have had the same idea of the Factory Pro Kit.

I wanted really to change the jet needles and the main Jets (175 front and 180 rear).

In more self I wanted to detach the pipe that brings the vapors of the oil from the carter motor to the box filter of the air to avoid that warm air entered the carburetors.

I have also removed the EPC and the SAS.

My curiosity is to know if the jet needles used by the Factory Pro Kit are the same of series (oem) or they have a different code.

The motorbike of series covering jet needles NDFB while I'm looking for the jet needlesNDFA.

I know that the jet needle with code NDFA are those that use in the competitions.

The factory Pro Kit use NDFA jet needle?

Thanks
crisgen950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #23
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Bongiorno Amico

I think that this is the answer to your question. I have copied it from the factory pro web site. Here http://66.47.68.116/products/jets.html

I got really tired of trying to use the original
Keihin numbering / profile codes, so I made my own.
Very nice if you have everything perfect at every throttle position except for 1/4 and only want to change that 1 thing!

Mark produces his own needles in titanium, but this would be hard to do from the beginning...... so he would have used something he had in stock probably NDFA.

Could you tell me something about NDFA as this is new information for me.
Are there any data sheets available?

I have been tuning with a wideband http://wbo2.com/ , but the standard needle has the wrong shape. I can get it to run perfect everywhere, but not at the same time

These Factory kits are available to you from Sommer in Almond.

Needles are easy to measure. It would be good if someone could measure the factory Pro needle, or the NDFA, I have done the standard one. PM me and I will tell you how.

Also WELCOME TO THE LIST...... How much I love Italy and Nassra Asi... or something like that
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #24
crisgen950
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Talking

Thank you very much for your welcome

I know the code of jet needle NDFA because they are those that use in the competitions.
This information I have had from the mechanic of Fabrizio Meoni
and they're the jet needle that use the KTM 950 for competition Paris/Dakar ecc. ecc..
They works from 0/0 to 4/4.
I will look for all the possible ways to find these jet needle NDFA and if I succeed I'll send you the specifications.
Regards to everyone and to ADVRIDER
crisgen950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #25
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
All the poping on mine was gone the minute I removed the SAS crap. It opens up to let fresh air in under decel. I have done all the mods but on steady cruise I still get some surge so I may try the Factory Kit.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #26
smthmp
Internal Combustophile

Oddometer: 46
I'll add one more thumbs up for the Factory Pro Jet kit. When I got mine ('04 950) it ran fair. It felt lean to me (surging at low RPM), and the popping was terrrible. Stalled at idle sometimes, and sometimes when letting off gas to idle. I immediately plugged the SAS inlet at the airbox and it had no effect. Local KTM dealer recommended the FP jet kit and I had it installed with no other mods at about 150 mi. I was afraid the thing was running so lean it was going to hurt the motor. I didn't want to wait until the first service. After the Jet kit, it ran much better and the popping was gone. At the 600 mi service I had the shop do canisterectomy, SASectomy, and install Wings (with the spark arrestors). They upped the mains 1 size each carb and moved the needles (sorry can't remember which way) and ran it on the dyno. They weren't happy after the first dyno run and pulled it back apart and moved the needles again. They were happy after the second run. They said it was 1 hp down on the Akropovic installs they had done. It runs flawlessly now. No flat spots, no popping (just a nice Ducati burbble on decel). Runs smooth at steady throttle with no surging anywhere. Oh, gas mi. Recently did a 1000 mi trip. Probably 50 mi off road, 40 mi interstate, and the rest 2 lane at 50-70 mph. (mostly running about an indicated 63 mph) Consistently at 42mpg.
Paul
smthmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #27
RedFlash
Go Cubs!

Oddometer: 2,440
Smaller mains?

Has anyone tried the kit with down-sized mains from the "example" setup? It is a nice kit and the options are manifold (sorry, just had to )

The jump from 160'ish to 175/180 seems large. I was going to experiment with 170/175 first and move from there. I have the Wings cans on the way and would like to:

>Lose the surging cruising on the throttle;
>Reduce the warm-up choke time;
>Have the best setup from 500' to 6000' above the briny deep.

Ya', I want it all!

Old 06-08-2005, 11:43 PM   #28
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson
All the poping on mine was gone the minute I removed the SAS crap. It opens up to let fresh air in under decel.
Nope. SAS doesn't do anything on decel as it stops working altogether when you close the throttle. This is to prevent extra/eccessive popping. It only bleeds fresh air into the exhaust ports under load.

I've removed SAS too with the excellent blanking plates from Katoum and - as expected - didn't make any difference for exhaust popping or performance. It just cleans up the engine area by losing the hoses, valves etc.

It has been posted on this forum many times before but for some reason it seems hard to believe for most. When a carburated engine doesn't pop on decel the idle mixture is (much) too rich. Hence the reduced or even eliminated choke time. So instead of being happy that it doesn't pop anymore, it should cause concern...

A (too) rich mixture is more harmful for an engine than a lean mixture. The silence on decel is actually shouting 'Hey man, I'm drowning in fuel here!'...

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs

KTMax screwed with this post 06-09-2005 at 04:29 AM
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #29
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMax
Nope. SAS doesn't do anything on decel as it stops working altogether when you close the throttle. This is to prevent extra/eccessive popping. It only bleeds fresh air into the exhaust ports under load.

I've removed SAS too with the excellent blanking plates from Katoum and - as expected - didn't make any difference for exhaust popping or performance. It just cleans up the engine area by losing the hoses, valves etc.

It has been posted on this forum many times before but for some reason it seems hard to believe for most. When a carburated engine doesn't pop on decel the idle mixture is (much) too rich. Hence the reduced or even eliminated choke time. So instead of being happy that it doesn't pop anymore, it should cause concern...

A (too) rich mixture is more harmful for an engine than a lean mixture. The silence on decel is actually shouting 'Hey man, I'm drowning in fuel here!'...
I'm buying more and more of what your saying here but the popping is just a pilot jet or air screw issue right? How it runs from 1/16 throttle up to wide open is more of a concern for the needles right?
Also are you running stock needles and would you suggest a person open up the air screws more if there is no popping? Thanks?
motoman250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #30
BjornH

Oddometer: 10
Is there more to be had still?....

My "new" -04 ran really lean out of the crate, with noticeble hesitation on roll-on, surging and fierce popping on decel.

Now, with Acras + airbox mod + rejet (#165/#170) + stock needles up 1, it runs great!
Still popping on decel, but good power, no surging at part load and good pick-up at every rpm. I can even go as low as 2000 rpm without problems. Still feels like there may be some more to be had on top, but I saw 207 km/h - and climbing - the other day. (17-sprocket)

What top speeds to you get?

Does anybody have any dyno-graphs to show?

I just ordered the carb kit for good measure. Why stop if there is more to be had?!

All the stock EPC/SAS etc is still on the bike, and a 16-sprocket is waiting in the toolbox. Haven´t gotten around to the cleaning up and the fine-tuning yet.

Black ones are stealthier...
BjornH is offline   Reply With Quote