Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2005, 08:15 PM   #46
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by msusslin
"I assume the setup you arrived at was with stock needles at #3 clip and A/F screws about 2 turns out?" correct and the mains are 160 / 165 and 42 pilot

I'm at 600 feet and the setup was done in San Francisco.
So am I correct on the set up there? Where did you get to with the Factory kit? I'm trying not to do this too many times.
I'm in San Diego so the setting should be same same!
The help is greatly appreciated.
wsmc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:32 AM   #47
msusslin
DirtMeister

Oddometer: 58
Where did you get to with the Factory kit?

Nowhere, since the taper on the needle seems to be wrong to get a good dyno curve through midrange. Between 2000RPM and 4000RPM it was running way rich at whatever setting we tried and could not make it work with the time on hand. You may be able to find a suitable setting if you have enough time to play around on a dyno. I would certainly not setup the bike with the kit blindfolded, which you would be without the dyno. I shelved the kit entirely and used all KTM standard components for the best results. If you look at my first post, I stated that Factory Pro should back up their recommendations with dyno curves, and not just with 2003 data. Additionally, I was told the same findings from my friends in Europe.
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 02:48 PM   #48
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
...... ......

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:41 PM   #49
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMax
...... ......
I too, pulled the Factory Pro kit and went back to stock. I had great mid and high range with the FP kit but could never get the idle to settle down after riding which resulted in a hang about 2k and no engine braking. Air Idle set between 2.25 an 3.25 turns with no noticeable difference.

After 5 tear downs and tunes, I have given up for the moment. I still think it's solvable but.... I'm planning on riding the next couple of weeks so... maybe in September....

Rick
Franklin, TN
FarmerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:52 PM   #50
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc99
So am I correct on the set up there? Where did you get to with the Factory kit? I'm trying not to do this too many times.
I'm in San Diego so the setting should be same same!
The help is greatly appreciated.
Your not!......... The needle needs to be on the second clip

Do not listen to KTMAX as he is to embarrassed to admit that he also runs the factory kit. Summer installed it, and his runs perfect.

Msusslin by his own admission ran out of time to tune it.

What you really need is a wideband oxygen sensor. http://wbo2.com/

[img]

[img][/img][/img]
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #51
RedFlash
Go Cubs!

Oddometer: 2,440
More Factory Pro Woes...

First, I upgraded the exhaust to the Wings Ti cans...

...then I did the Factory Pro mod.

Well, after running the FP needles @ 2nd clip from top, mains at 170/175 and then at 175/180, and the 45 pilot, the results are as follows:

Great bottom end, I mean really good, like WOW!;

Better top end, though a bit "raspy";

Horrible middle band!

Specifically:

From about 4500 rpm to 6000 rpm the vibration is so bad that I cannot even ride the bike for more than an hour, without my hands going dead numb. This tuning includes synchronizing the carbs and checking the choke cable not overly tight (mine was, initially, on the front carb).

So, it's back to the stock needles (at 3rd clip from top), stock mains, and leaving the pilot at 45. My original objective was to set up a bike that ran well, not pursuing a golden talisman to hyper-performance. Maybe the latter is the intention of the folks at FP. It does not meet my needs.

I'll post some photos of the needles when I get the carbs disassembled this week.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:14 PM   #52
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m
Your not!......... The needle needs to be on the second clip

Do not listen to KTMAX as he is to embarrassed to admit that he also runs the factory kit. Summer installed it, and his runs perfect.
Okay I'm getting confused here: FP Kit on #2 (which is where mine are), stock needles on #3 (which is where they were) is what I think is correct. That's what I've heard from most.

So KTMax? What's in your carbs?

My thoughts are to go from 175/180 and 2-1/2 turns out to 170/175 and 2 turns out. Clips on slot #2 of the FP needles or Stock needles at #3 and 160/165.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:40 PM   #53
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m
Don't make such a fool out of yourself K2M...

@wsmc99: Stock needles, 2.5 from top, raised centre section between the tanks and yes K2M is right, it really runs perfect...

Old 07-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #54
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Don't make such a fool out of yourself K2M...

@wsmc99: Stock needles, 2.5 from top, raised centre section between the tanks and yes K2M is right, it really runs perfect...
How interesting...... 2nd stock is to lean...... 3rd is to rich down low.... I agree

Before going to the FP kit I ran a #40, 2.5 (actually I put the clip on one and put both the thick and thin washers under it with another on top giving the same result) and 155-160..... This is the best it has run

With the FP kit I have run a #38, 2 and 160-165 giving near perfect A/f ratios.... but drive-ability leaves a bit to be desired.....

I don't mind being a fool Max if it gets you to make constructive comments that enriches all our lives.

What is a "raised centre section between the tanks"? Do you mean around the snorkel..... or the air box lid itself.....?
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #55
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
And your mains? Idle jets (42 or 45)?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #56
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

stock... stock...

Old 07-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #57
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,141
I run my needles in the "2" position, 160/165 jets, and the stock 42 idle jet. My bike runs great and still pulls off 38-40 mpg on the open road. I tried to run my needles in the "3" position but it was way too fat down low.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #58
msusslin
DirtMeister

Oddometer: 58
That is the setup which works great for me as well. The bike pulls hard whatever throttle position.
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #59
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
I'd run my needles in #2 but I have the smog stuff removed, ktm race exhaust and sommer airbox. now its in #3 it's a lot faster at 50 degrees but at 80 degrees it gets a small bog from fast throttle wack off idle(rich). It also starts with no choke and never backfire's even at cold temp.
Ive been thinking about shimming between 2 and 3 but max you answered my question!!! Your just shimming between 2 and 3? What is your air screws set at? would you be afraid of running your bike at sea level at 40 degrees? thanks!
motoman250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:38 PM   #60
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
stock... stock...
So earlier you stated that the stock setup was way too lean and all you've had to do to remidy the situation is shim the needles a half step? Seems they (KTM) weren't that far off...