User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Ray of Sunshine OP
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,840
My embarrassment never ends

A few years back, I posted a message about going around an off ramp faster in my VW Golf than I did on my VFR. This was back when I was riding most of the time, so I had some skills.

Recently, nostalgia got the better of me and I started riding again. Fortunately, a VFR requires a simple fluids check, a time on the Battery Tender and a push of the button.
I came to the same off ramp, and ten pennied my way around it. Not a nice, smooth arc, but I did beet my beast time in the VW. I almost caught the guy ahead of me, too, until he pulled away. That damn FIAT 500.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
I glad you "ten pennied" around it and "beet your beast time". Apparently, your time away from riding was not spent in
English class.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago View Post
I glad you "ten pennied" around it and "beet your beast time". Apparently, your time away from riding was not spent in
English class.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,419
Wow. Your embarrassment really doesn't end.

You can drop your VFR at my house here in Western NC and I'll give it a proper ride. Leave money for gas, tires, and oil.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 1,983
Was it an abarth fiat 500?

I wouldn't feel that embarrassed about that, they can corner at .87 G's with stock tires.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Was it an abarth fiat 500?

I wouldn't feel that embarrassed about that, they can corner at .87 G's with stock tires.

Is that supposed to be a high number???

Cuz it's not...

Maybe the VFR isnt quite the handler... Doesn't it weigh the same as the 500? Half the wheels half the brakes and 10% the contact patch is hardly fair.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598

i'm still trying to figure out what "ten pennied" was supposed to mean.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Old 06-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago View Post
I'm glad you "ten pennied" around it and "beet your beast time". Apparently, your time away from riding was not spent in
English class.
...someone who demands perfection from others, should first seek it in himself.

I'm not too proud to admit, I'm not perfect and have very bad grammar/spelling. (it's a rare exception such as this that I point out anothers mistake, for obvious reasons)

rivercreep screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 03:53 AM
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:39 AM   #10
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Is that supposed to be a high number???

Cuz it's not...

Maybe the VFR isnt quite the handler... Doesn't it weigh the same as the 500? Half the wheels half the brakes and 10% the contact patch is hardly fair.
ALL: They don't take bikes to the skid pad for G numbers like they generate for the cages. Recently, Cycle World posted something like 0.82g for the BMW 1600. The Can-Am Spyder generates 0.53g before the electronic safety crap kicks in and stops the fun before it can get started. In the distant past, Cycle World has timed a very good rider on a stretch of secret road (Mexico?) against what was described as a cage enthusiast with mediocre skills. It was noted that there was a lot of wind blown sand in the corners on the test roadway. Results posted in the mag were that it took one very skilled rider to go fast and deal with the sand without crashing to barely beat the cager. It was noted that the cager has a much easier time 'recovering' from small driving errors with less consequence for errors than the bike (duh, added by me). Whereas, the biker very much needs to be skilled at the edge of traction while knowing that dropping the bike means loss of contest.

From the above scenario, we can conclude that most cagers do not care to run at higher g-loads as it spills their coffees and makes for an uncomfortable ride what with complaints from passengers and barfing little kids. So it doesn't surprise me that the occasional solo cager might easily take an x-way ramp at a safe for a cage high g-load and stay out in front of a very good bike which is approaching its limits while being ridden by someone who is not on his game at the moment for a long list of reasons.

Before the performance jockeys go nuts with this post and start telling me that the bike line on a ramp is much faster than a cage line, etc and that the bike should be faster, on and on; I remind them that the OP notes that he is sharing the ramp with the cage. Rolling on the bike's power for an easy pass on the ramp's exit line is do-able only if the rider wants to risk sharing a lane with an unknown cager who may merge early or do something unexpected in a risky place. So bikes are usually somewhat faster than the cages in most conditions due to other reasons but not because bikes pull better Gees by design. Most piss-poor cages can pull better g than most hot bikes on sticky DOT rubber. Good luck trying to stay with a Vette pulling 0.90g out 1.0g possible on a ramp. The Vette's tires won't even be moaning.

And let us remember that itty-bitty, 2 seater sports cages of old used to come with very good bucket seats to allow for more comfortable support during high lateral g. And the cagers of old used to put good after-market driving seats in cages all the time when they wanted to have fun behind the wheel. As bikers, we should count our blessings that the cagers by and large do not have good lateral support. That kind of seating support would only encourage the cagers to drive poorly at a higher speed. Fortunately, most cagers do not know how to use their belts to get more lateral support. So, they rermain slow enough that it is still easy for bikers to deal with them.

Thinking how I do, I am not embarassed that the occasional cager gets around a ramp better than me. And when it happens, I am grateful that the cager was moving fast enough to stay out of my way while I enjoyed my lean angle as I can on the day.

And to the clowns who have nothing better to do than complain about enthusiastic forum users' english skills, fyyff; get some perspective. ibafran-not putting up with the usual forum crap today for who knows what reasons?

ibafran screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 04:46 AM
ibafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,980
Hypothetically speaking, would it be embarrassing to have your buddy driving a Ford van catch you on a very tight and technical but excellently paved mountain road? What if, remember this is hypothetically speaking, you were riding on knobbies with maybe 15 psi?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,012
While you were away it went to 15 pennies due to inflation.

I don't know about an Abarth, but if I get a Subaru WRX on my tail on a twisty road, I let him go by...

I had an RX-7 when I was in college, and I thought of it as a 4 wheeled motorcycle. It was an absolute blast!

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #13
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post

i'm still trying to figure out what "ten pennied" was supposed to mean.
I think he meant "50 penced".
A 50 pence British coin is not round but has 7 sides.
If you "50 pence" a corner, you are changing line several times on the way through.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Hypothetically speaking, would it be embarrassing to have your buddy driving a Ford van catch you on a very tight and technical but excellently paved mountain road? What if, remember this is hypothetically speaking, you were riding on knobbies with maybe 15 psi?

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Not sure how you calculate your time on the off ramp. Maybe if you concentrated on riding and not pushing some timer or watching a clock you could do a little better.
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote