User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #31
drclaypool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Blown away in Colorado

I found the most popular, beautiful canyon run in Colorado last summer on my old Tiger. Ended up behind a Lotus Elise who's driver appreciated the curves as much as I. I was dragging pegs trying to keep up with him. Had to back off before I screwed up and landed in the river, which leads me to believe hot cars can outcorner most bikes, hands down. I got schooled. And I always thought otherwise. Now somebody confirm that skis out-corner snowboards.
drclaypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #32
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by drclaypool View Post
... which leads me to believe hot cars can outcorner most bikes, hands down.
I dunno... Take a peek at the Nurburgring and it's not obvious that's the case. Trouble is, as several posts have already noted, the moto rider can't overstep the grip limit without the high likelihood of a fall, whereas the cage driver can do so and expect to be able to save the situation (most of the time) as in this vid at 1:14. What this means, surely, is that there are few circumstances in which the average bike rider pushing reasonably hard is likely to outcorner a better-than-average car driver pushing reasonably hard. Doesn't mean that a skilled rider can't do it...
When it comes to absolute fastest laps of the 'Ring, the evidence seems to be that there is not much to choose between two wheels and four and it takes a serious motor with a serious driver to get under the 7'30" that several bikers have posted. I'd guess that a skilled and experienced rider on a quick bike will beat most drivers even in stuff like Caterhams. And as for the Isle of Man TT circuit...

the Pheasant screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 02:37 AM Reason: Insert links
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:19 AM   #33
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,009
FWIW, the 'ring is very friendly to lighter vehicles, and there are serveral sections where it is simply impossible to move a car around the surface quickly enough - again, size and shorter wheelbase are big benefits. Particularly if the GP course is included.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #34
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,427
I spent five years living a short distance from the ring. I've done a lot of time on that track, and ran it with every vehicle I owned during that time including a muddy Rubicon.

Some of the tightest turns are banked, which helps you swing an M5 around without stopping. Nevertheless, the bikes always spin these a little faster.

The flat curves are owned by the cars. Controlled loss of traction rules. Just watch Sabine run her M5, she stays at the edge of traction at almost every curve.

Where the motorcycle shines is coming out of the curves. The motorcycle behind you in the curve will certainly blast past you in the first 50m after the curve.

All that being said, I really miss the ring. It was always fun, no matter what I was driving.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #35
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Where the motorcycle shines is coming out of the curves. The motorcycle behind you in the curve will certainly blast past you in the first 50m after the curve.
For sure, acceleration is our primary weapon. But, surely, if the motorcycle behind you in the curve is close enough to blast past in the first 50m following, it must have been holding station through the curve rather than losing ground.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #36
Ray of Sunshine OP
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Recently road the same off ramp. Got around closer to 90 mph, then on the slight strait leeding off it, acceleratud to get he guy in the porch behind me to speed up and rat race.

I may be a 63 year old woman, but I have no sense. :-)

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #37
SaltyCaptain
Tag-O-Rama addict

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray of Sunshine View Post
Recently road the same off ramp. Got around closer to 90 mph, then on the slight strait leeding off it, acceleratud to get he guy in the porch behind me to speed up and rat race.

The real horror here is the hit your grammar has taken in less than a year

Typing on a touch screen?

SaltyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #38
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 645
Quote:

A blonde canvassed a wealthy neighborhood looking for odd jobs. She went to the front door of the first house and asked the owner if he had anything for her to do.

"Well, you can paint my porch. How much will you charge?"

"How about $50?"

The man agreed and told her the paint was in the garage. A short time later, the blonde came to the door to collect her money.

"You're finished already?" he asked.

"Yes," the blonde answered, "and I had paint left over, so I gave it two coats." Impressed, the man reached in his pocket for the $50.

"And by the way," the blonde added, "that's not a Porch, it's a Ferrari."
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #39
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
I got to ride in a Campagna T-Rex once, wear your seat belts

the manufacturer claims 1.9g, not sure if it really does or not but it certainly feels like it will
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #40
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,620
I am quite a bit faster in my wife's Subaru Impreza coupe than on a bike; even my old XL600 supermoto. 4 wheel slides in an AWD car are a real hoot. I used to call the Subie a poor man's Porsche, until I rode with my uncle in his 911 twin turbo. Now I just call it poor...

He spends weekends out running sport bikes in the SoCal hills. Thanks to volunteering the car as an R&D test mule, it has at least 600hp.

As a side note; I'm really disappointed to hear how low the lateral G number is on the Abarth. I'm pretty sure I achieved similar numbers in my Geo Metro convertible.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grounder View Post
I always make better time on my bike because of exit acceleration, but I'll never overcook an entrance on my bike, and usually end up undercooking them quite a bit.

On my Mazdaspeed 3, I can overcook corners all I want. All it means is the back end slides out a bit and I can power through. Not so much on the bike.

Also with the Dynamic Stability Control (or whatever the manufacturer calls their traction control/braking assist electronic gizmos) you can be going as fast as you want, turn the wheel as hard as you want, and the car will do the rest. Albeit at below capacity if you are a good driver, but if you aren't then it makes you look like a near-wizard.

Wrong.

So the gizmos on your car just automatically suspend the laws of physics.

Your post is the perfect example of why most people should never give riding/driving advice because they just don't have a frickin clue what they are talking about.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #42
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,566
Too funny - I need to find the manual for my car to quote it, but paraphrasing it says: Note - DTC is an important safety feature, but it will not allow you to violate the laws of physics!
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #43
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
You're doing it wrong.

Never be embarrassed if you aren't as fast as the next guy, be embarassed if you aren't having more fun. It ain't a race, man!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #44
Ray of Sunshine OP
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
I do hope that the respondent who worried about my lack of grammar skills is aware that this is merely play. I am really one of the leading grammar nazis on the interwebs. Every once in a while I love to play with the forms and style of the language.

Like the proper line through a curve, the proper line through a sentence can be fun to violate, if done with the aim of not harming yourself.

Turn that wrist NOW!

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #45
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
I do hope that the respondent who worried about my lack of grammar skills is aware that this is merely play. I am really one of the leading grammar nazis on the interwebs. Every once in a while I love to play with the forms and style of the language.

Like the proper line through a curve, the proper line through a sentence can be fun to violate, if done with the aim of not harming yourself.

A professional writer friend of mine once told me that the only reason to learn the rules of grammar is so you can break them and make more money
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote