Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
2WheelTad OP
2WheelTad

Oddometer: 26
Is my son too young to take on a motorcycle trip?

I have a 7 year old son that I would love to take on a week long trip this summer. I've always wanted to take my kids on a trip but I'm just so worried somthing could happen to him. I don't think I could live with myself if something happened. On the other hand, I think it would be a blast taking him! I am a motorcyle rider at heart and I really want to share that with my kids. Does anyone have any thoughts?? Thank!
2WheelTad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,582
What is going to happen to him? Do you mean he will wander off and get lost and then abducted? If that is your worry then yeah he is too young. If he understands the rules of the trip and you have some cool things planned for entertainment then no. I understand the world has changed since I was 7 but at some point in time they have to understand that they get to do cool stuff, like a motorcycle trip, if they act responsible, follow the rules and do as they are told. If that is a challenge and you will have to stay on top of him 24/7 then no he doesn't get to go. If he can stay by your side and be responsible then he does get to go. I don't know what is going to happen if he acts responsible. I think it would be a once in a life time opportunity for both of you.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
2WheelTad OP
2WheelTad

I think I should have explained this better. I'm not worried about him acting up or getting into trouble. He is a great kid and would have a blast! I am worried about the road and getting into a accident. I just can't amagine what I would do if he got hurt.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
stege
Wonderer

Oddometer: 287
He's to young for riding a bike. In case of God forbids, he would suffer the most injuries. Why dont you make the trip in a car? Much safer!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelTad
... I am worried about the road and getting into a accident. I just can't amagine what I would do if he got hurt.
We can't answer that and I'm surprised Bucharest tried. Only you can answer that. Just one thing though; your kids will never remember what you did for them but they'll treasure forever, what you did with them.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
Old_Sheila
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Hey 2Wheel check this out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475023

By all accounts the young fellas (and the adults) had a good time.
Old_Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:59 AM   #7
stege
Wonderer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
your kids will never remember what you did for them but they'll treasure forever, what you did with them.
Nicely put wildman. However, we are talking about the risks here. There's no need for an impact, only a fast maneuver and the kid could slip away...
Of course all is well in happy ending scenarios (most of the time) but 2Wheel doesnt talk about these kind of scenarios. Sorry about your loss btw.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
2WheelTad OP
2WheelTad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Sheila
Hey 2Wheel check this out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475023

By all accounts the young fellas (and the adults) had a good time.

Really cool!!! I guess I'm just going to have to make a choice and if I take him be extra carful. Thanks for the input guys. I do think this would be something we would remember forever as a trip we did together. Gerrr... Hard choice!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 754
Kid

I thought I would chime in.

I rode with my young Son. At a very early age I had him on dirt bikes rode him to school on bikes or a sidecar and as soon as he got his permit a street bike and he rode his own bike to an MOA Rally when he got his license. Soon to be 26 and still riding. For me its all going to boil down to you and your Son. You know him best. The issues I see that would need to be addressed are? Do you have all the proper gear for him? Does he fit the bike properly meaning are his feet on pegs? Does he have much time with you on the bike? Are you prepared that he as you have accepted, can be seriously hurt or mamed for life and worse case scenario killed? These risks we assume as adult riders dont always translate to your child. If you have accepted these risks as an adult for your child there is still the Wife? I aint goin there! More than likely you will have a fantastic time. Building a lifelong experience for you Son. So I say if he is geared up, fitting the bike properly, Sharp enough at his age to follow your instructions for periods of time you are comfortable with? DO IT!
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
I don't know much about kids anymore. Only have one and he's 35 but I do know kids get bored and spaced out easily. If I were condidering your trip I think trip duration would be a deciding factor. For a couple or few days fine but I wouldn't drag a 7 year old on a trip of a week or two.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer: 522
I've been on the back of a motorcycle since I was 4. I've never fallen off, My dad never got in an accident while I was there, and nothing bad ever happened other than me getting a sore ass from the lame pillon seats. If you don't feel comfortable riding with a passenger, then yuo shouldn't take one. If your son has never been on the bike with you and doesn't know HOW to be a good passenger, then taking him on a week long trip for a first ride is a bad idea. Star small and build up to the road trip. Biggest trouble I had growing up on a bike was that I'd fall asleep. Easy solution: Occassionally, my dad would tap my leg or had or something and if I didn't tap back, he'd either pull over or do something else to make sure I was awake. Worked pretty well until I got my own bike, so about 15 years. We went all over the place, and had a blast. Your son will learn how to be a passenger and not disrupt you whole your riding. But start small.

Overall lesson, if you don't feel confident in your abilities, do not take your son.
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
AirForceDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
mtnbiker1096
Wishing I was there

Oddometer: 57
I have taken my 12 year old son on some trips and a couple of overnighters. My suggestion is first make sure he can reach the pegs and he has enough room to be comfy on the bike. Make sure to outfit him with ALL the proper gear. Youll probably need to stop often to keep him interested and awake.
There is no way you can ensure that nothing will happen. Only you can decide if the risks of riding a motorcycle are worth it.
Personally I take precautions, dont push anything, and relax and enjoy the trip.
But if he's to small yet, dont worry. He'll grow up fast and before you know it he'll be riding with you everywhere. Dont rush it.
mtnbiker1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #13
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,743
7 year olds seem to fall asleep, a lot. Keep the trips short. I used to tie my little brother to my torso, because he would be asleep in 20 min.

Took him on a road trip to Glacier when he was 6-7. The highlight for him was a turkey at a roadside zoo. A white turkey, go figure.

We stopped a lot, to see the sights. It took a week to get to Glacier and back. About 7-800 mi.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 754
U tube

I used one of Liz Sains soft bags thats U shaped and actually kept the kid in place. Mags Bags sells them but she calls the something else?? Cant remember but it is an effective tool to keep him in place. Here I went an looked http://www.magsbags.com/grandtouringbag.html take a look
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
atk_nut
and atk_nut_wife

Oddometer: 576
Hey
It's the folk that took our kids to the arctic circle.This is the mom speaking as all the boys are too buisy watching t.v.(first time on the ride!).It's our last day on the road.Bummer!!!!We took our guys when they were 7 and 8.Quinten was a good sleeper,anywhere!!!We even rented seadoos and he fell asleep doing nose dives and doughnuts!!That's Quinten....We started with a harness that he would wear and strap to us.If he did fall asleep,he wouldn't fall off.You think a little different with your child on the back and you drive alot more defensivly.With the trip this time we used auto coms.Well worth the money.We did spelling and math and eye spy while riding which helped when it was late and no hotel in sight.We would also have conversations on how glaciers form,global warming,oil pipe lines,grizzlies....anything we passed.We were also able to have some good heart to hearts.We had some good butt puckers on the Dempster and also in traffic but if they can see over your shoulder,they're aware just as much as you.When we're passing,hold on is the only instruction as the wind from the semi's can be stronger for them.Drive slow at first,take him grocery shopping,afternoon coffee(he could have hot chocolate) or just an afternoon spin.You can never put a price on safety equipment,small womens size is what you need.Helmet,gloves,boots,pants and coat.Don't scrimp!!!Keep the tags on the stuff and go for a ride...if he likes it,keep it,if he doesn't,return it.
P.S. get your wife riding and make it a family thing!!!
You'll laugh at all the R.V.'s you pass and the poor guys stuck in cages cause thier wives don't like bikes
p.m. for any other questions
atk-nut wife

http://members.shaw.ca/fourup
http://vimeo.com/jollyrogerranch
atk_nut is offline   Reply With Quote