User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #31
swaneez
swaneez

Oddometer: 8
Rdie Around Superior

WOW, nice coverage of my neighborhood. I live in Duluth and get to enjoy all that your pictures show, (KLR650). You even included the Portland Malt Shop, which, if you visit too much will give you a bigger "footprint" on your saddle! I'm looking forward to your coverage of the rest of the Circle Tour, especially the North Shore from Duluth to Thunder Bay. there is so much to see if you can get off the pavement and ride the back roads using a county map. I spent 8 hours and 180 miles in the saddle last Sunday and only covered a small part of the area north of Lutsen. Preachin' to the choir I guess.
swaneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #32
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Great ride report and informative, too!

Another one for my "bucket list"...
Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #33
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,933

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #34
Zaboo65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Subscribed!

Always look forward to your ride reports. Great pictures and history! I have ridden around the lake twice and am planning on doing it again this year around the 4th of July. We have been talking about stopping more and seeing the sites. Your timing is perfect!
Trans WI 2011 | UPAT BB Fall 2012 | UPAT BB June 2013
Zaboo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #35
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,483
Heading to Two Harbors

For this segment I head out on Congdon Boulevard and follow Old Highway 61 along the shore. The North Shore Scenic Drive has evolved from a foot path to a dog path, to a primitive cart track, to a county dirt road, to a paved international highway. Much of the work involved the WPA in the 1930s. It was pretty much the only land artery up the north shore.

Early stages of international highway.

There is a story about a guy named Chet Congdon talking the City of Duluth into paying for the Lester River bridge and the road all the way to the county line back in 1922.

The EPA has an ecology lab just outside Duluth. They focus on the ecological effecs of toxic chemicals, genetically modified organisms, nutrients, habitat alterations, and global climate change. They contributed to the restoration of Lake Erie. They use 100M gallons of Lake Superior water each year for research and cooling.

This park shelter was constructed by the CCC (love that program). I thought it was a great design.

A nice warm fireplace shielded from the cold winds off the lake.

In the 1890s the Duluth water supply was a top issue. Typhoid deaths topped all others in the city. The Director of Public Works named Truelson was opposed to spending $2M on buying a water plant. There was a big political stink and they named the guy "Typhoid Truelson" for his opposition to the plant. By the way, Truelson's father died from falling into a brewing kettle full of boiling water. In the end they got the plant. There is a 1976 version across the street from this one.

Many of these safe harbors along the shore. The lake can be a dangerous place and it takes all that rock armor to make these harbors safe.

This stream is at a MN coldwater hatchery that spawns kamloop and steelhead strains of trout. The fish are only here in April in May if you are interested in a visit.

This is the Palmer Chapel. It has been around for a lot of years and served as a community center as well. From the looks of things now, it is no longer being maintained. Too bad.

This logging camp place is a tourist attraction with ice cream and such.

Even so, it is the site of an old camp that some might find interesting to explore.

As I mentioned, I routed the tracks along the shore. Sometimes this takes us onto gravel roads. If something isn't very good for travel, I'll mention it was we go along.

Just so you don't bother trying to figure out this marker, it is the site of what once was Buchanan. The town was laid out in 1855, named after President Buchanan, and once had the US Land Office for the region. Once the land office left the settlement closed up.

There are lots of places to get smoked fish as you circle the lake - even more when the fish houses are active.

This joint has sugar cured trout, wild rice, cheese, syrup, and different kinds of jerky.

Before there was a road up along the shore, travel and commerce was done by ships that ran regular routes. This old dock is what is left of a dock the steamer America used to use. With ice and storms, keeping docks usable is a real challenge on this lake.

This 185 foot boat hauled supplies, mail, cargo, immigrants, and whatever else was needed. It started up in the 1880s and foundered of Isle Royale in 1928. By then highways were starting to come into being so ships weren't relied upon as much.

Nicely preserved Larsmont School. It is the oldest remaining schoolhouse on the north shore. This one roomer was built in 1914, had a teaching staff of one (until 1932), and covered grades 1-7.

Looking around Two Harbors. TH is essentially the trail head for the rest of the north shore. It was built on lumber, fishing, and ore shipping. Largest of the north shore cities north of Duluth. Iron ore was discovered near here in 1868 and in 1884 they were shipping out of here via a six story steel and concrete dock. It was both a harbor town and a railroad town.

Old railroad workers hotel.

Another Carnegie Library. This one cost $15K and is a 1909 design. Andy Carnegie was a rich businessman who donated over 2,500 libraires in various countries. Almost 1,700 were built in the US. A town could apply for a grant, and if they agreed to Andy's terms they got a library. This man did a lot of good with his philanthropy. Towns had to match funds, provide a building site, provide 10% of the cost of construction each year to support the library, and provide a free service to all. At one time nearly half of the libraries in the US were Carnegie libraries.

This old fishing boat is built of oak and cypress and was built in 1939.

There is a well preserved wreck in the harbor. The Ely was a 200 foot 1869 sailing ship that had been converted to a tow barge. In 1896 she got caught in a storm and was driven on the rocks. The ship sank at about 3AM and the crew clung to the rigging and mast. A tug drifted a small sailboat back and forth to the wreck and rescued the crew. Lake Superior wrecks are well preserved and make for excellent diving.

Ship loading at the ore dock.

Man those ships are big.

It is difficult to capture the size of this huge ore hauling locomotive. At full power this thing can consume 10-12 tons of coal per hour and convert 12,000 gallons of water to steam per hour. Loomotives like this were built during WWII (at a higher priority than tanks or ships) to haul iron ore from the mines.

The small wheels produced great power at slow speeds.

The tender held 25,000 gallons of water and 26 tons of coal. Working steam pressure was 240 psi producing a 140,000 pound tractive effort. The whole shebang weighed in at just short of a million pounds. One of these locomotives could pull a train that requires four of today's diesel locomotives.

There were valves and gauges all over this thing, not just in the cab.

Old railroad building. Sorry to see it wasted.

The old roundhouse.

After the roundhouse was abandoned in 1964, some company moved in with a contract to manufacture three wheeled postal vehicles.

Here is some video I found on youtube of a gravity load at Two Harbors. By the way, the Artie Anderson is the ship that was 15 miles away from the Edmund Fitzgerald when she sank in a storm.

TH docks back in the beginning.

1970 view of things.

For three years, the town of Agate Bay existed here along the shore on the bay. It was known as "Whiskey Row" and "Hell's Four Acres". The place had 22 saloons, a couple of hotels, and some other stuff. The railroad got hold of the land and shut down the town. Some of the buildings were moved inland a bit and became Two Harbors.

The railroad bought this coal fired tug in 1896 for $35K. It retired in 1981. Not much tug work for modern ships with thrusters. It was involved in a few rescues along the way as well.

Beautiful depot.

This bandshell is a 1937 WPA project. The railroad had a band and I guess they really rocked. There was a WPA project school in town as well. When I went to the school site I found that it had been recently torn down.

The school I was looking for.

Required artillery picture . . . although this looks a little more like a mortar than a cannon.

You can take a tour of this interesting courthouse. I guess they have some remarkable murals, skylights, and stained glass inside.

This is where 3M started. Even though we all know that Romy and Michelle invented Post-Its, 3M did manage to come up with scotch tape and some other products. There is a museum here that tells the story.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 06:38 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #36
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaneez View Post
WOW, nice coverage of my neighborhood. I live in Duluth and get to enjoy all that your pictures show, (KLR650). You even included the Portland Malt Shop, which, if you visit too much will give you a bigger "footprint" on your saddle! I'm looking forward to your coverage of the rest of the Circle Tour, especially the North Shore from Duluth to Thunder Bay. there is so much to see if you can get off the pavement and ride the back roads using a county map. I spent 8 hours and 180 miles in the saddle last Sunday and only covered a small part of the area north of Lutsen. Preachin' to the choir I guess.
Thanks! What an interesting place it is where you live. Lots of history and beautiful scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
Great ride report and informative, too!

Another one for my "bucket list"...
Thanks! Glad you find it interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
Hi John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaboo65 View Post
Subscribed!

Always look forward to your ride reports. Great pictures and history! I have ridden around the lake twice and am planning on doing it again this year around the 4th of July. We have been talking about stopping more and seeing the sites. Your timing is perfect!
Thanks! Glad to see you joining in and I appreciate your interest. I know what you mean about stopping more to see the sites.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #37
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,235
I'm along for the ride... thanks for including us. We're looking forward to your return to Texas... plenty to visit.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #38
GasMich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Great Ride

Looks to be a great ride. Always wondered what it was like out there. Thanks for the great write up, and keep it coming. Oh, by the way get busy on the next Cannontrek the recruits are in the waiting.
GasMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #39
07wee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Great ride reports guys!
07wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #40
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
You must do tons of research before you start on of your rides.
The reports show the work that goes into it. I for one appreciate it greatly.

ps Please get the bike in at least one shot.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #41
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Heading Up to Beaver Bay

As you had out of Two Harbors, there is another smoked fish joint.

Some artist that is interested in native american issues donated this sculpture to Minnesota. He plans to do one for each state to call attention of indian issues.

This CCC built cabin is now a tourist information center. This cabin was originally as a fire lookout station and was later moved here. Nice craftsmanship.

You can stop to look for agates along the shore of this bay.

This place started out as a fish shack where pies were offered on the side. Now you can mail order pies from this new version. There is a little pie competition along the shore it seems.

There is a place just off the highway that has train car suites. Kind of a theme motel set-up.

This tunnel cuts through the highest bluff rising directly out of the lake.

Back in 1923 they cut a road around the edge of the bluff 125 feet above the lake.

The path is still there as a bike trail.

On the north/east side of the tunnel you can park and walk up to a scenic overlook.

The had to put a tunnel in because of problems with slides and such.

As you travel along you will notice some numbered gates in this area. This is part of the Encampment Forest Association. This used to be a logging site where 24" timbers that were 40' long were shipped to England for ship lumber. In 1921, a group took over 1,600 acres here as a private getaway site.

No entry unless you are a member.

Another tunnel just up the highway.

The Rustic Inn, just up the road from Betty's, pushes pies too.

Gooseberry Falls State Park is Minnesota's most visited state park.

Part of the atttraction is that you can climb all over the falls.

There are several falls here.

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built some great structures in this park (88 log and stone structures in fact). You can thank the CCC for developing many of our parks.

The often photographed Split Rock Lighthouse.

This thing was built in 1910 and materials had to be hauled up the cliff on a rope. This thing was put in after a 1905 storm killed off 29 ships on the lake. The lens floated on a bearing surface of liquid mercury and was turned by clock like weights that ran down the center of the tower.

You can take a tour of the lighthouse.

One of the shipwrecks that led to the lighthouse was the Madeira which busted up on the rocks near here. In 1905 this schooner-barge (old schooner towed as a barge) was being towed when a storm hit.

The towing steamer had to cut the Madeira loose. The Maderia did not set it's anchors to try to ride out the storm and ended up cashing into this cliff.

One creman was able to scramble onto the cliff with a rope. He climbed to the top, tied the rope, and rescued 8 others. One was lost with the ship. They surviving crew hung out for two days on top of the cliff until the tug Edna G (we saw in Two Harbors) came and rescued them. It is a nice dive site now.

Some divers fished out this anchor from the Madeira.

The Belle Cross hit a reef and sank near here as well.

In the 1960s a company dumped talings into the lake. They got busted and now have a huge inland remediation site. I tried to get a look at it but it didn't work out.

Aerial of the remediation site - seven miles inland.

Beaver Bay is the oldest continuous shore settlement in the area. Not much old stuff left to look at though. Some German ran a sawmill here.

From 1879-1899 John Beargrease ran a mail route along here. He ran between Two Harbors and Grand Marais. He rans canoes, horses, boats and a four dog toboggan while sometimes hauling loads up to 700 pounds. His fastest trip was 28 hours and it hasn't been beaten yet even by larger dog teams of today.

This is an old fish shack set-up. Lots of these along the shore.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 11:02 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #42
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
I'm along for the ride... thanks for including us. We're looking forward to your return to Texas... plenty to visit.

NFE
Thanks NFE! I'm looking forward to doing some more exploring in Texas. Might be a nice trip to escape the Wisconsin winter again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasMich View Post
Looks to be a great ride. Always wondered what it was like out there. Thanks for the great write up, and keep it coming. Oh, by the way get busy on the next Cannontrek the recruits are in the waiting.
Thanks Greg! Looking forward to the next Trek for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wee View Post
Great ride reports guys!
Thanks!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #43
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
You must do tons of research before you start on of your rides.
The reports show the work that goes into it. I for one appreciate it greatly.

ps Please get the bike in at least one shot.
Thanks Don! Yes, I do spend a lot of time on research. I get so much information about so many places that I can't keep track of it all and sometimes wonder what the hell I waypointed something for. To help with that I develop a matrix that I take along on the ride. I also keep camping and fuel information on the matrix.

I had to look for a bit, but I did find a picture of the bike on this ride. I rode a DL1000. I must admit that I took it some places that stretched the off-road capability when I was looking for some things. Heavy (when loaded) bike that doesn't have a lot of travel or clearance. I have a hefty bash plate on it. A good choice for this ride though. By the way, I wouldn't route anyone on the rugged stuff in the GPS file without letting you know ahead of time. The route I will share will have some gravel but nothing that can't be managed.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #44
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Bigdon Happy now.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #45
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Ever so great Cannonshot...just supper description of you continuous travels, history and culture. Write a book with maps and routes......am enjoying yours immensely. Thank you for taking the time to do this and it really takes time to do this...

Ride safe, ride far...

Cheers
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote