Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #76
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
Good stuff!

I'm impressed by the things you found along the way

EDIT Looked at your last post...I also lke riding alone sometimes for the same reasons.

Thanks Ron! There sure is a lot of stuff to check out along the way. Getting off the main highway to take a lap through the small towns along the way makes a big difference.

Solo rides are often great rides for sure.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #77
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Thanks Ron! There sure is a lot of stuff to check out along the way. Getting off the main highway to take a lap through the small towns along the way makes a big difference.

Solo rides are often great rides for sure.
That is what I tell people riding that route, if you don't get off the highway, you aren't seeing it.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #78
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

On through Rossport to Schreiber.

Further out is St. Ignace Island, the second largest in Lake Superior and fifth largest in the Great Lakes.

It was very difficult blasting this rail line around the north shore. More on that later on.

On one of my trips through here traffic was delayed on this spot as there was a forest fire burning very nearby.

Planes were making drops just off the roadway and were picking up water down in the bay.

Interesting to watch them work the fire.

The water pick-ups down in the bay were amazing to watch.

Stopped at this reserve to look around.

The blackflies were bad enough that I didn't hang around long.

Rossport, once known as McKay's Harbor, was named after the CN RR construction manager for the north shore segment. He had a headquarters here back in the 1880s. This was an overnight stop on the railroad and the passengers would disembark and stay at this 1884 inn.

Trains are still part of the program here.

The fire department was having a drill today.

Interesting combination.

Checked out the harbor. This rig has a drop ramp in the front like a landing craft.

Interesting design.

Back in 1911 a big oil investor was out on a cruise on his large luxury 1897 steam yacht. He was too cheap to pay a pilot to guide him into Rossport so he made the run without one resulting in his yatch being run up on a shoal. The shoal shoots up from 280' to a mere 3'.

Once aground, the owner called a tug and against advice pulled the boat off the shoal. It quickly sank and now lies in 280' of water just a few feet from the vertical rise of the shoal. The Costeau crew once visited the wreck and said it was the most well preserved and prestigous shipwreck in the world. No one has managed to salvage it yet.

Rainbow Falls in a provincial park.

The falls makes a long, steep, and scenic run. There are stairs to get you up and down the rocks.

Interesting bit of history I never heard about before.

Schreiber is a rail town. Be sure to get off the highway and look around. This old rail car is now part of a museum in town.

The town once had a big YMCA that offered bowling, cards, food, and accommodation. It was quite the social center at one time.

The rail yard has a bunch of these quarters for workers. It looks like there are generator cars in the line-up to power the quarters when they are out on the line doing work.

The place looks like some kind of maintenance base for the railroad.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 10:14 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #79
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,466
Spectacular as always !!

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
All my tracks & routes avail by request via pm.
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #80
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Spectacular as always !!
Thanks Frank!

Sounds like that guy with the Gunilda should have hired a pilot after all.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #81
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,304
Great report and really look forward to your posts. Keep em coming. I was looking at my morning picture from Thunder Bay a few years ago with ice on the bike and 29 Degrees F. All I wanted to do is get around the lake and get South. Too bad, missed so much. Maybe another day, a few months earlier.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #82
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,466
lol! true!

Quote:
Thanks Frank!

Sounds like that guy with the Gunilda should have hired a pilot after all.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
All my tracks & routes avail by request via pm.
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #83
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

On to Terrace Bay, Jackfish Ghost, and Marathon.

Back in 1945 they needed to get a source of power for a mill that was going to be constructed at Terrace Bay. Some thought the power could have been derived by more hydro work over Nipigon way. In the end they decided to reroute some water that drained into Hudson Bay to drive turbines here.

The project was a big deal, especially in this undeveloped area. They had to build roads, housing, a hospital and the support infrastruture. The dam they put in enlarged Hays Lake to 500 times its original size.

The power station required a big tunnel through the rock. The tunnel is about 1,000 meters long with a 61 meter drop to the power house.

Terrace Bay was built to support the mill that went in here. The mill and town went in during the late 1940s. Pulp logs were floated down to the mill on the newly backed up waters.

This is Aguasabon Falls. It did not exist until they dammed up the lake for the power project. The falls is really a spillway diversion from Hays Lake.

There are a couple of diversions of water up this way that would otherwise have drained into Hudson Bay. I think I read that combined these diversions add about 2% to the flow out of Lake Superior. These have raised the water level of Lake Superior by 2.4 inches, Lakes Michigan and Huron by 4.3 inches, Lake Erie by 3,1 inches, and Lake Ontario by 2.8 inches.

The flow of the falls is controlled by how much rain there is along with the amount of water needed to power the turbines.

Where the spillway meets the lake.

Terrace Bay is named for these glacial terraces that also define the layout of the town.

The townsite is well planned and has nice facilities.

The mill just went bust. I read an article from February that said they owed $42M to about 300 creditors including the little guys in town that sharpened saws and provided office supplies. A few hundred jobs directly lost in the closing as well.

I noticed that a lot of places have plugs for your vehicle in the cold winter.

I went looking for the ghost town of Jackfish.

Jackfish started out in the 1870s as a fishing village. During the 1880s the railroad came through and made it a coal stop. They built a 600' long dock to land coal ships from PA. Up to 300 men worked the coal facility.

The trains coming through was a blessing for the fisherman as it enabled them to ship fish. In the 1890s they built a three story hotel here. It was a big deal. After prohibition the hotel sought to boost business by selling a bottle of beer for a quarter and extending the bar to accommodate 100 patrons.

From 1932-38, young Japanese men were sent to the area to work on road construction as part of a work program during the depression. After a few months in the road camps they could move on to other placements in the province. At first they worked for room and board only but eventually earned from $.30 to $5 an hour. When railroad engines went to diesel, the coal thing tapered off and the place was no longer needed. In the mean time the sea lamprey hit the fishery. In 1960 the hotel burned to the ground. By 1963 Jackfish was a ghost town.

The place looks like the last of it has been dozed by the railroad. Not much here now other than track maintenance equipment.

I went looking for this "last spike" memorial. In 1884 there were 15,000 men and 4,000 horses working the north shore railroad. They went through 12 tons of food per day and four tons of tobacco each month. Anyway, the last spike of the Winnepeg-Montreal segment was driven at Noslo, just west of Jackfish in 1885. Some Colonel that was on a troop train coming home from the Riel Rebellion in Saskatchewan hammered the spike home. The railroad was important for moving forces around to take care of the Northwest Rebellion.

I never did find the monument, but I did find these. Many people might not realize that no power shovel, locomotive crane, or power drills were used on this very rugged railroad building job. It was done by a lot of men with hand tools and a lot of dynamite (over $12M in dynamite alone).

A very busy mainline.

Came upon the first of five black bears right here. Missed the picture though.

Nice view of some of that rock that had to be blasted away for the railroad.

Light rain for a while.

Some people may wonder about this flying saucer looking thing over by Marathon. It is a navaid for aircraft.

Marathon had a nice mill going as well. It also went bust. 250 jobs gone.

Good thing gold was discovered nearby or this whole area would be hurting (more than it is already).

The bay at Marathon is very nice.

Aerial of the bay and town. Another place where you have to get off the highway to visit the town.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 06:24 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #84
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Great report and really look forward to your posts. Keep em coming. I was looking at my morning picture from Thunder Bay a few years ago with ice on the bike and 29 Degrees F. All I wanted to do is get around the lake and get South. Too bad, missed so much. Maybe another day, a few months earlier.
Thanks Andy! It can get cold anytime up that way, even in the hot summer. Bring along some warm stuff and come up and give it another run!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #85
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Isn't that the truth. That was my number two problem. I dressed for summer and ended up riding in near winter. Number one problem was running out of gas twice.

Loving the report and learning a lot from you.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTec Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #86
aharbi
V-Rider

Oddometer: 18
Pano Thunder Bay

Quote:
If I had ambition I'd stitch these into a pano.
Here ya go:
Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #87
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

On to White River.

Stopped at a reserve along the Pic River. Ojibways of the Pic Nation are involved in several enterprises to try to make them self sustaining. These include a forestry company, a cable TV outfit, and a high speed internet company. They are also involved in some run of the river power generation projects.

Just beyond the reserve is Hattie Cove in Pukaskwa National Park.

Forest fires are a real threat to the area. The Pics are contracted to provide two fire crews to the area.

Some government boats along the Pic River.

I met up with another black bear just before I got back out to the highway.

Seems like I see a lot of Bailey Bridges used in Canada. Great technology developed by a hobbyist during WWII. The bridge can be built up to take heavy loads.

I went looking for the old townsite of Hemlo. In the 1980s gold was discovered nearby. Now there are three mines running in the area. The three mines doubled the population of Marathon making it the largest town along the north shore between the Sault and Thunder Bay.

I didn't find the old townsite, just some moose habitat.

And the moose tracks to go with it.

I learned a lesson about concentrating on the tracks too much a while back. A group of us were riding small dual sports when we stopped to look at some fresh moose tracks. Eventually we looked a bit further down the trail and there were the two moose that made them. Best to look around a little more.

No sign of the old town here along the tracks. I think some of that stuff gets dozed away over the years.

When you cross this conveyor going over the road, you are coming up on the mines.

The Hemlo mining property is made up of the underground Dave Bell Mine and the Williams which is both an underground and open pit mine.

In 2011, they produced 227,000 ounces of gold at a total cost of $774 an ounce.

It looked like these miners were going through mandatory fire suppression training.

Pretty soon they had foam running all over the place.

The idea is that you can foam a tunnel in a mine to fight a fire.

There are two mines here that share the same processeing facility.

Just down the road is a wayside exhibit. It is mostly about a town further north (trying to draw you there), but it is interesting nonetheless.

Some old mining equipment is on display.

This is an Alimak Raise Climber. It is difficult to visualize how this thing is used. Shafts are vertical openings that are driven downward. Raisings are the same thing but driven upward taking advantage of gravity when constructing the passage. This thing is used to construct raisings.

This is on the Pic Mobert Reserve which is quite small.

Nice area.

White River use to make the claim that they were the coldest spot in Canada. They really weren't, but their weather station was in a frost hollow so their relative temperatures for the area were usually lower. The weather station moved and that claim seems to have disappeared in favor of claiming the origin of Winnie the Pooh.

A young Army veterinarian purchased a black bear cub here while his unit was on their way to WWI. They took the bear along as a mascot and named it Winnie (after Winnepeg). When the unit deployed to France, they loaned the bear to the London Zoo (eventually donating the bear permanently). Young Christopher Robin Milne used to visit the zoo and was inspired to name his own stuffed bear Winnie the Pooh. Christopher's father, A.A. Milne, then gave the children of the world the stories about Winnie the Pooh and his pals.

This must have been quite the joint at one time.

White River was a railroad town. There is a new initiative going on her to provide forest products to a company that makes bio jet fuel.

It looks like they still get passenger service here.

Ran across this is someone's driveway. Quite the project.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #88
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Isn't that the truth. That was my number two problem. I dressed for summer and ended up riding in near winter. Number one problem was running out of gas twice.

Loving the report and learning a lot from you.
Thanks Merlin! I've waypointed gas stations in the GPS file to make it easier for people to plan for fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharbi View Post
Here ya go:
Great job! Thank you!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #89
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
When I was talking to these people they were pretty casual about the edge of the cliff. Cliffs aren't for me, I don't really even like being 6' 2" tall . . .

i love your RR's and really dig all the history stuff you put into them!
XT225 - For Sale - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966148
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #90
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088

Hemlo - The gold strike there was exciting stuff in the 80s. One of the mines (Noranda?) was located on Yellow Brick Rd.

Schreiber - home to the Filane's business empire, including the Can-Op on Hwy 17. Featuring Cosimo Filane the singer, Hollywood Filane the boxer, a hockey team, and a bottled water company. Definitely makes for an interesting fuel stop.