User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #136
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Balance

Only need to do one thing on a motorcycle - balance.

The most intresting thing is that control of the motorcycle - making it go where you want it to go - requires you to create instability and then recover to a new balance condition.

So you're always falling on a motorcycle but falling in a way that lets you go in the direction you want.

When the ground is not flat, or moving as with loose rocks, sometimes you have go in the wrong direction for a little bit not to fall.

Really good riders are always right on the edge of balance so they can control the direction of the motorcycle at all times. Also, they recognize and work with not against terrain like ruts or bumps or inclines etc.

In low traction situations the balance dynamics are very similar to when the bike is stationary but only on flat level surfaces. Not flat and level surfaces require increasing amounts of traction to be more than impossible to manage.
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #137
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgc2310 View Post
Only need to do one thing on a motorcycle - balance.

The most intresting thing is that control of the motorcycle - making it go where you want it to go - requires you to create instability and then recover to a new balance condition.

So you're always falling on a motorcycle but falling in a way that lets you go in the direction you want.

When the ground is not flat, or moving as with loose rocks, sometimes you have go in the wrong direction for a little bit not to fall.

Really good riders are always right on the edge of balance so they can control the direction of the motorcycle at all times. Also, they recognize and work with not against terrain like ruts or bumps or inclines etc.

In low traction situations the balance dynamics are very similar to when the bike is stationary but only on flat level surfaces. Not flat and level surfaces require increasing amounts of traction to be more than impossible to manage.
as a snow & ice rider, I can attest edge of balance, in some situations are more fluid, wheels are not locked, but turning slower revolutions than you are moving forward when trying to slow or stop, or at the other end accelerating with wheels spinning faster than you are moving, or even more common, spinning with the rear wheel while the front is plowing and rolling slower than your are moving forward

its my opinion you can be one with the bike and better balance keeping feet on pegs and NOT using them as outriggers. with all weight on wheels of bike you are balancing as a unit, with feet as outriggers, you are balancing your body and holding the bike up, there is no real balance to it
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #138
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,732
Sometimes a stretch that is not too long helps. On this video I'm descending from the top of the Steens Mountain. You can't see how steep this thing is, but it is, I never left first gear. And on the steepest section, starting on minute 1:20 I slow down just before getting to it. I'm on the front brake with just the right pressure to keep the front wheel from locking up. You can hear the wheel as it locks here and there.

But the bike is gaining speed and thanks for the next plateau to slow it down.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 09:38 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote