Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #16
livin2day
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
What's the consensus on latest possible date to begin the TAT and finish??
livin2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #17
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
There is an extension available to go from the Atlantic over to Tellico Plains, the start of the TAT.

Currently it goes from Savanna, GA, which is south of where you had been talking about, but it is an established dual sport route.

It's part of the TET-S, and the routes/tracks are available here on ADVrider.

It's about 3 days worth of riding, and there is some fair stuff and some really good stuff.

I should know... I built it. My buddy Chip is handling the distribution as usual over on LayinDownTracks, East Coast.

I will definitely keep this in mind. I just bought a GPS so I need to play with it a bit more and thats a good start.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #18
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaming_art View Post
Steven, I don't think I know you, but giddy up. Life's too short.
Steven is a good friend of mine her in MO. He rides a KLR also. We have been going out lately and riding to get him started on off road riding. This is his first bike he has ever owned. He's doing pretty good.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
roaming_art
In transit...

Oddometer: 174
As promised...these are Pro Taper SE ATV High bars, and Acerbis Rally Pro handguards.

[IMG]03[/IMG]

[IMG]04[/IMG]

They look sexy! I can't believe how good they look on the bike, its so...tactical. The only downside that I've noticed is that the wind protection is dramatically decreased as compared to the stock "dog ears". I do notice a little more vibration in the bars without the bar weights but I'll see if I can find some flush weights to go on the end of the handguards, somebody somewhere makes them. I've seen em. Aside from those "minor" things I love the bars. Super easy install, I had to chop the ball at the end of the clutch lever to create some clearance, but I was able to even re-use the stock hand grips without chopping them up. I'll save the new set I bought until I need them. Definately Art approved.
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
roaming_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin2day View Post
We are going to take about 5 weeks to complete it. More or less. Leaving here in MO between June 1st and the 15th. We also are thinking about heading down to Savannah, GA and starting from there. To give it a more coast to coast off road experience.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
Tompound
M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin2day View Post
mid sept. would be iffy october would be pushing your luck
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Tompound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #22
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Late start

By mid-September you might start hitting snow in Colorado.... the first time I went over Hancock/Tomichi (on the old route) was September 14th and it was snowing... 2" of wet heavy snow. Doable, but a mess. Slippery too!

Then I did NV/CA/OR in mid-late October.... had 1-3" of snow all along the mountain ridge north of Battle Mountain, NV. But it got worse... the mountain you go over in CA gets up to 7500 feet or so... it had snowed hard a couple of days before I got there... so I was running out of daylight (gets dark at 6pm that time of year)... running out of gas (no gas in Ft. Bidwell)... and I hit a foot of snow on top of the mountain in the pines before hitting the Dismal Swamp. What saved me was that somebody had been through in a pickup truck and left me a groove.... this was definitely NOT the way to do this!

So, the latest you can probably start and make it for sure is around the 1st of September, if you are willing to wait for weather, you maybe could start a week or two later... but it's dodgy then.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
There is an extension available to go from the Atlantic over to Tellico Plains, the start of the TAT.

Currently it goes from Savanna, GA, which is south of where you had been talking about, but it is an established dual sport route.

It's part of the TET-S, and the routes/tracks are available here on ADVrider.

It's about 3 days worth of riding, and there is some fair stuff and some really good stuff.

I should know... I built it. My buddy Chip is handling the distribution as usual over on LayinDownTracks, East Coast.
I am going to check that GA route out. That sounds like something we would like to do. I just am not real familiar with my GPS right now, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #24
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes we are still planning, mostly time for Art and I to finish up the school semesters. Holidays are on there way.

I was also hoping someone might be able to help mw with my Garmin and Basecamp. Would really like to get this thing figured out over a cold beer with someone that knows what they are doing with it. Preferably close to me here in MO.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #25
roaming_art
In transit...

Well finally got the SW Motech Center stand in the mail and got a chance to install it today, and so far it seems to be a good purchase! Pretty easy to get it on the stand using the sidestand technique that I read about on this forum and it gets the rear wheel off the ground about 2 inches...Only issue is that I cant seem to get the front wheel off the ground rocking it back, it looks like I might need to set the stand on a piece of plywood to get it up a bit higher for the rear leg to meet the ground. Other than that it looks great. Got those springs on using a piece of line tied in a loop, hooking one end and pulling them over the other. $30 saved on the spring tool.

On a sidenote, with the introduction of Shoei's new Neotec this year, I found a steal on a brand new Multitec which I am very much enjoying. ($266 shipped) Aside from the liner not being removable, I think the helmet is perfect. Still deciding if I'll take it on the TAT...might end up using my old Bell full face just to keep the Multitec new and pretty for me when I get home

Next stop, progressive fork springs and a fork oil change.

02 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/48257760@N07/]
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
roaming_art
In transit...

I thought I'd post some pictures on how I plan to load the bike up for the trip. These are some rough pictures, I didn't even bother to put the side panels back on for the photo-op as I was just taking everything back off anyway. I simply wanted to make sure my vision for the bike was in tune with its application on the bike. I purchased 25 yards of black polypro webbing on Amazon for about $7.95 in order to make the 4 straps that will secure my North Face duffel as well as the 4 straps that will bind my Tent/Sleeping bag/Tarp contraption, and secure it to my bike.

So here I have my trusty Walmart sleeping bag rolled around my Eureka Apex 2XT (which I LOVE by the way, got to test it out camping on San Onofre beach last weekend) and I'm using a TEKTON 6'X8' tarp to keep everything dry and ~safe from falls. The tarp was ~$13...seems to be pretty heavy duty stuff. We'll see how it works out.

Once everything is rolled nice and snug, I secure it with two nylon straps, and I get something that looks like this....

Using two longer straps that are ran underneath the seat I cross and double knot them up...very secure, and quickly removed.

Instead of purchasing $30 ROK straps I decided to incorporate my nylon webbing into the North Faces already built in loop system, and again I have a very secure set-up, that will be removed in a pinch when necessary.

In time I will trim all of the excess line and make sure that the lengths are what I need and nothing more. The finished product will look something like this...

I'm extremely happy with how this simulation went, I've got plenty of space to sit, the pack is extremely light, waterproof, plenty of storage space for my purposes, I'll be able to take everything off of my bike in 30 seconds when inclimate weather occurs, and it should do alright with the occasional dirt nap. Plus, I'm saving tons of money and weight without boxes/racks. (A necessity for a poor college student)

Feel free to comment or make suggestions!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
I rode a portion of the TAT (OK, NM & part of CO) a few Summers ago.

I would think you'll be better served with a DOT knobbie than you would with the K761s. Those tires will be great for the ride East and thru TN (since there's a lot of chip seal now). But, once you get to MS and AR (and the dirt/gravel starts in earnest), you'll want something with a little more "bite" (esp. if you encounter rain and/or mud). I rode a DR350SE on a set of Pirelli MT-21s. They were great (IMO) both on and off pavement, in the dry and the wet. You have several alternatives, too: Dunlop D606, Shinko 244, IRC GP-1, Kenda Trackmaster II, et. al.

I used a Seattle Sports dry bag to hold all of the stuff that's sensitive to water. It fit nicely on my Turbo City rear rack. You may need to carry fuel. If memory serves, there's one section in Nevada where you'll need to cover 180 (??) miles. Otherwise, buy the maps from Sam so that you have the latest updates. I understand there are quite a few changes in Oregon (perhaps other places, too). Consider transferring all of the data into a GPS. Roll charts can get old after a while (IMO).

Consider tanking a SPOT or something similar. You can rent them if you don't think they're worth the price and yearly activation fee (that is if you won't get your money's worth by using it, a lot).

I don't think I encountered any nearby camping in the three states I traversed. So, be ready to stealth camp or motel it. There are quite a few good, clean, cheap motels in those states. My method was to pull into to town and stop at the local gas mart. Usually the person behind the counter was a local and knew where the "good" motels where (esp. if that person was female - guys weren't so sure).

Here's a LINK to my ride report, if you're interested (it's not long).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
roaming_art
In transit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
I rode a portion of the TAT (OK, NM & part of CO) a few Summers ago.

I would think you'll be better served with a DOT knobbie than you would with the K761s. Those tires will be great for the ride East and thru TN (since there's a lot of chip seal now). But, once you get to MS and AR (and the dirt/gravel starts in earnest), you'll want something with a little more "bite" (esp. if you encounter rain and/or mud). I rode a DR350SE on a set of Pirelli MT-21s. They were great (IMO) both on and off pavement, in the dry and the wet. You have several alternatives, too: Dunlop D606, Shinko 244, IRC GP-1, Kenda Trackmaster II, et. al.

I used a Seattle Sports dry bag to hold all of the stuff that's sensitive to water. It fit nicely on my Turbo City rear rack. You may need to carry fuel. If memory serves, there's one section in Nevada where you'll need to cover 180 (??) miles. Otherwise, buy the maps from Sam so that you have the latest updates. I understand there are quite a few changes in Oregon (perhaps other places, too). Consider transferring all of the data into a GPS. Roll charts can get old after a while (IMO).

Consider tanking a SPOT or something similar. You can rent them if you don't think they're worth the price and yearly activation fee (that is if you won't get your money's worth by using it, a lot).

I don't think I encountered any nearby camping in the three states I traversed. So, be ready to stealth camp or motel it. There are quite a few good, clean, cheap motels in those states. My method was to pull into to town and stop at the local gas mart. Usually the person behind the counter was a local and knew where the "good" motels where (esp. if that person was female - guys weren't so sure).

Here's a LINK to my ride report, if you're interested (it's not long).
Hey, right on man. I didn't plan on running the K761's on the trail, just to Savannah, we'll be doing a swap somewhere out there. However, I rocked the 761's on the White Rim Trail few years back and they handled nicely. Even when the rain started coming down as I was heading up the Schafer switchbacks at the end of the trail. But damn these make for a great street biased dual sport tire. I'm getting ridiculous mileage out of them too, like 10,000 miles plus crazy on both front and rear! Front definitely developed a weird wear pattern by the end, but hell, can't complain with that kind of service.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #29
roaming_art
In transit...

Spring break is here, and Iíve been using this time to finish up some maintenance and mods for the ole KLR. Finally installed the Progressive fork springs, what a difference! Coupled with a fork oil flush and re-fill the bike handles and feels like an entirely different bike! I canít emphasize that enough. Once everything was all buttoned up and I sat on the bike, I instantly realized that I couldnít push into the bikeís front end to get it moving out of my parking spot.

On the install, very cut and dry. Progressive sends you the PVC pipe, you cut it into the recommended 3Ē length (as per instructions), or whatever length you find works for you. Iím 5í9, 160lb, the 3Ē spacer along with the standard 135mm air space from the top of the fork (fully compressed, w/o spring) seemed fine on my short test ride, more testing to follow. Tightly wound spring goes up (as per instructions, donít understand why this is debated if itís noted in their instructions). The biggest headache I had was figuring out how to safely lift the front end off the groundÖputting my text books to good use solved that issue. Lord knows Iím not reading them. Hahaha.

Also managed an oil change yesterday and will be changing out my sprockets and chain either tomorrow or the next day. I have some Sunstar sprockets that Iíve read good things about just waiting :) Aside from that, Iím just trucking along, weíve had some scheduling difficulties which pushed off our starting date to the 23rd of June, and we will be riding straight from Branson, MO to Tellico Plains, TN to start the TAT their instead of starting from Savannah. Hope all is well!

The required liquids:

First oil change using the center stand, man that is convenient! Not having to "guess" whether it's standing upright to read the level correctly. Money well spent!

Pretty significant difference in the stock and Progressive springs! The stock spring and spacer are the two bottom ones, half the damn fork was pre-loading the nub-like spring! No wonder her nose would dive at stop lights, stop signs, even if I so much as looked at my front break the nose would dive.

Here is a classic shot of me putting my textbooks to good use! Look ma! I'm learning!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #30
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice job Art!