Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #31
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Just like Art I have been adding some items as well.

UNI filter
K&N filter
Emig Racing Triple Clamps
Emig Racing Steering Stabilizer
HWDB Hand guards and top clamp
KTM Heated Grips
Powerlet Plug
Auxiliary cooling fan
Front wheel bearing
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
roaming_art
In transit...

Oddometer: 172
In my efforts to cut down costs for this trip I went ahead and ordered a 16oz food thermos ($19). I plan on bringing along about 20 servings of rice and another 15 servings of oats in zip locked bags and setting my "meals" to cook early in the mornings with either boiling water acquired from gas station sinks or coffee stations. When that isn't available I have a very small stove, 2nd link, that I will try to use sparingly to conserve fuel. Can anyone comment on the gas stations encountered on the TAT and whether hot/boiling water will be available? I'm wondering if the stove and more so the fuel will be a waste of space or not. I know a warm meal, even if it's primarily grain will be important at the end of the day. Rice and a multivitamin! What else do you need? I'll be experimenting with thermos cooking later in the week when mine arrives. If you've never looked it up do a quick Google search, pretty interesting results. I'm reading 1 part grain to 4 parts hot water for ~8-10 hours...experimentation to follow.

Thermos Stainless King 16oz Food jar

Amazon, search Ultrulight backpacking camping stove $7.99
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London

roaming_art screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 09:45 AM
roaming_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #33
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 776
if you need a place to ship tires i'm in Central Oklahoma about 20 miles off the tat. we also have a kawisaki dealer here too.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #34
roaming_art
In transit...

OKlr thanks for the offer! If we can't source a shop closer to the trail head in TN that will either stock our tires or hold onto a shipment we'll gladly take you up on the offer. I have confidence in the Kenda 761's if I had to run them through TN/AR.
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #35
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tools

What tools are we bringing?

Any recommendations?

For both KTM and KLR. I am sure each will need its own special set.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #36
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 776
good thing about having multiple bikes is you can get rid of double tools. For instance, there may be no need to have 2 12mm wrenches. and there will be extra storage for tubes and stuff.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #37
roaming_art
In transit...

I'll have to post up some picks of my tool roll that I've been putting together over the last 4 years. In other news, I did get the TAT maps and roll charts in the mail today! Haven't started digging through those yet, in due time. I did get a few other items in the mail that will be joining my pack on this trip that are new to me and somewhat experimental. We'll see what happens.

First off will be the Granite Gear 2 gallon collapsible bucket that I hope to wash my clothes/dishes maybe even backwoods bathe with if the opportunity arises or becomes necessary. But lets be honest, it'll probably just end up storing ice to keep our beers cold Weighing in at 5 oz. she rolls up nice and small. No leaks yet!

Second will be the 16 oz Thermos Food jar which I mentioned in an earlier post. I am currently experimenting cooking some brown rice with this little guy, 1/3 cup of rice, 1 cup of boiling water…I love that it has a collapsible spoon built into the cap and the lid can double as a bowl. Seems like it will do the $19 I spent on it justice.

The emberLit wood burning stove seems really well made and packs really, really small. The Hunter S. Thompson novel is there for size comparison. I debated on bringing along a butane/propane fuel & gas stove set-up and decided on this little guy since Nate is bringing his gas stove along. Ran me $40 shipped and I can either use it with an alcohol fuel set-up or simply burn wood found around our campsites. It’ll also be handy when the zombies invade and propane becomes hard to come by

Lastly, the 100w inverter will plug into my 12v socket. Instead of sourcing a 12v charger for my netbook, camera, and iPhone, I decided this was the more cost efficient route to take. We’ll see how it holds up on the trail.

roaming_art screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 06:50 PM
Old 04-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #38
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,935
Make sure you have wrenches for the axle nuts.

The KLR tool kit is pretty good, but it doesn't have a wrench for the front axle nut. At least mine didn't.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #39
roaming_art
In transit...

Deep breath:

3 tire irons
27, 19, 17, 12, 10mm wrenches
Motion pro T-handle w/ electrical tape wrap
8, 10, 12mm sockets and assortment of bits
Crescent wrench
Couple cotter pins for rear axle removal
Medium strength threadlocker
Assorted Allen keys
Bent nose pliers
Locking needle nose pliers from Harbor Freight
Crazy glue
Assorted zip ties
Duct tape
15w fuses
Slime patch kit
Loop of mechanics wire also wrapped with electrical tape
Small LED flashlight
Mechanix gloves

Most items fit into my tool wrap and then will be stowed in the tool tube that I have just installed in front of my skid plate.

What’s not listed:
I have an assortment of solderless electrical terminals that I need to include
Spare nuts and bolts, 6, 8, 10mm thread size
Obviously some spare 10w40
& lastly WD40 for chain maintenance
And maybe some gear oil in an empty Coors aluminum screw type bottle

Still need to source a spark plug socket, I was relieved of mine when my last tool tube was stolen off the bike. Hence the lockable pelican case, so now the tool tube will sit empty unless I’m out on a longer ride.
Gotta love the ghetto LBC!

roaming_art screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 04:45 PM
Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #40
roaming_art
In transit...

Aww hell, why not. Here's the new tool tube:

Old 04-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #41
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks good man!

I am bringing a headlamp for camping etc. Do you have a headlamp? If so you can get rid of that small flashlight cause you'll have a headlamp.

Other than that, it gives me a pretty good idea what I should bring.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #42
roaming_art
In transit...

Yessir, I have a headlamp! Same one issued back in the Ole' Station Days! JB weld. One of us should bring JB weld for sure.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #43
roaming_art
In transit...

Well, got to test out some of my gear yesterday on a few North Shore fire roads/trails in San Bernardino! Temps were in the low 80’s, beautiful cloudless skies, they were perfect riding conditions!

Silverwood Lake

Started off really chill up in till we hit Pinnacles. Then there were water crossings, lots of loose sand/rocky sections and some pretty tough hill climbs. I had a blast!

Shade break, let the engine cool, checked the maps to make sure I was on course. Loving the KLIM Dakar pants! They breathe really well, not sure how they will work in the rain though. Might need to bring along a pair of my frog togs pants to wear underneath if it gets wet.

The end of the ride, I met up with some OCMOTO crew. Here we cooled off in the shade and the running spring water. Enjoyed some lunch and talked motorcycles of course!

Pictures never do these shots justice.

Had to air down the tires a bit, think I went down to 20-25 combo and that worked well for the K761's. Got a chance to use the 12v slime pump and it worked perfectly getting my tires back up to 35psi real quick for the 100 mile ride home. All in all I think I rode 250 miles that day. My back was killing me on the ride home! Hahaha, going to have to do this more often in prep for the trip.

roaming_art screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 11:58 AM
Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #44
roaming_art
In transit...

Finally got the countershaft sprocket off today, called around a bunch of hardware and auto places to see if I could rent an impact driver, and nobody would do it. So, I ended up hitting up a local motorcycle shop (M&C Motorcycles, Long Beach CA-highly recommended) and asked if they would kindly break the bolt for me. The manager hooked it up and didn’t even charge me! So I rode it home and got to work:

Got the front sprocket off and managed to clean up a lot of my gear oil mess.

Harbor Freight chain breaker worked like a charm! Had no issues knocking the rivet out, I read some complaints of the pin on these breaking while applying torque…no issues here.

Fed the new chain through…

Bought one of Eagle Mikes prevailing torque nuts, sourcing the rare 30mm ” socket from Sears. It will be nice not having to deal with bending that stubborn safety washer in the future.

Went with a Sunstar 43 for the rear, and a Primary Drive 16 in the front for now, will carry a new Sunstar 15t with me to Tennessee. I was a little disappointed replacing my sprockets. The teeth were still in great shape…but the bike has 27,771 miles on the original rear sprocket and chain, and about 17,000 miles on the front sprocket….rather do this now then on the trail.

Bolted it up, looks good! Ladies love a new chain and sprockets fellas. Adjusted the chain slack and we’re back in business.

I did manage to install the clip master link backwards. Ugh, will have to fix this when I get back from the beach. 90 degrees out here in Long Beach! The refreshing ocean water is calling….

Old 05-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #45
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I didn't get a ton of working pics but here is an almost finished product.

Gonna be sad the first time I lay her down on the TAT.

I still have a few more things i need to do.
Misc nuts and bolts
Powerlet adapters
Install part of the crash bars/rear brake cylinder guard

I also have a tank bag and dry bag that will go on her.

[/URL]