Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #47
NeilZ
ADVrider

Oddometer: 39
Interested in the TAT, like to join the ride

Last year returning home to Cape Girardeau, MO. from my trip to the Smokies I road into Tellico to ride a couple of miles of the TAT. Riding the TAT is something I'd like to do, but not alone. Are you guys locked in on riders or can I join in on the trip?
NeilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #48
roaming_art
In transit...

Oddometer: 174
Check your mailbox bro.
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
roaming_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #49
roaming_art
In transit...

2 Week Countdown!

So, I leave for Missouri in about 2 weeks to meet up with Nate. Just a few small things left to be taken care of. Im going to be making a trip up to Hemet, CA. to have Lendon with Seat Concepts install new foam and a seat cover to replace my stocker. My stock seat is splitting at the seamsI guess 4 years, 28,000 miles will do that.

Need to source:

Spark plug wrench thats gone missing from my toolkit (missing as in stolen, thx LBC!)
Spare clutch cable
Set of sealed wheel bearings

Im planning to do a swing arm and rocker lube job just before departure as well. Tires are waiting for us at Wheelers Performance in Robbinsville, NC so everything seems to be falling into place. I did manage to drop and break my camera a few weeks ago, which led me to purchase an Olympus XZ-1. Ive been messing with this thing and its been taking really great pictures (for me at least). Great point in shoot with lots of manual functions.
Some sample pictures:

No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #50
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Gear/clothing

These are gonna be my outer threads.

Probably gonna be hot and hell though! But I am not spending more money on more gear, just keep the zips open and hydrate.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #51
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNate View Post
These are gonna be my outer threads.

Probably gonna be hot and hell though! But I am not spending more money on more gear, just keep the zips open and hydrate.
]
Oh that gear will be just fine sometimes.
Tincup pass in late June. Impassable

California pass ---same thing.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #52
roaming_art
In transit...

Wow, good stuff Mark. Thanks for posting those pics. I personally don't want to lug around everything that I could potentially need to stay comfortable along the TAT. You'd need a good sized trailer to do that. Pack light, freeze at night. You gotta be cold to appreciate when it's warm and you gotta sweat your balls off a bit to appreciate when it cools down. I imagine we'll be doing a bit of both.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #53
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pack light, freeze at night, I like that.

I say that sitting in my hermetically sealed room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaming_art View Post
Wow, good stuff Mark. Thanks for posting those pics. I personally don't want to lug around everything that I could potentially need to stay comfortable along the TAT. You'd need a good sized trailer to do that. Pack light, freeze at night. You gotta be cold to appreciate when it's warm and you gotta sweat your balls off a bit to appreciate when it cools down. I imagine we'll be doing a bit of both.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #54
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Gear

I've found my sleeveless electric vest is the best light weight gear I've ever found for riding where you encounter occasional temporary cold weather.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #55
roaming_art
In transit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
I've found my sleeveless electric vest is the best light weight gear I've ever found for riding where you encounter occasional temporary cold weather.
Right on man, which model do you use, and what kind of draw does it take? I've just always been wary of putting additional loads on the KLR's charging system. Never needed to push start the damn thing, but I'd hate to have to do it on the trail.

This guy did alright in a parking lot I guess...hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XIa...yer_detailpage
Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #56
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Roads should be dry in nevada.Had %50-%60 of normal snowfall in the sierras this winter.But I have seen it snow in the nevada high country in the summer.It melts the next day.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #57
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here you go Art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdIUO2yS3VA

Quote:
Right on man, which model do you use, and what kind of draw does it take? I've just always been wary of putting additional loads on the KLR's charging system. Never needed to push start the damn thing, but I'd hate to have to do it on the trail.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #58
roaming_art
In transit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
Roads should be dry in nevada.Had %50-%60 of normal snowfall in the sierras this winter.But I have seen it snow in the nevada high country in the summer.It melts the next day.
Here's to fair weather and openning passes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNate View Post
Sweet!!! Well we both have center stands so I guess no pushing for these guys!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #59
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Vest

Quote:

I've been using this one for the better part of 25 years It is a Widder which I think is out of production. I used it on the Iron Butt rides, transcontinental rides and the CDT along with my street riding and dirt riding. Keeping the core warm is the key for me. I've used it on everything from a 230L to WR250R to a dozen HD (all stock stators) among others and most recently I used it on my KTM 525EXC with a trail tech stator, never had an issue with current draw. It has a thermostat that I set on the lowest comfortable setting, I has kept me warm in a lot of cold summer riding situations and it takes up almost no room roller up.

AKASY screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 09:12 AM
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #60
roaming_art
In transit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
I've been using this one for the better part of 25 years It is a Widder which I think is out of production. I used it on the Iron Butt rides, transcontinental rides and the CDT along with my street riding and dirt riding. Keeping the core warm is the key for me. I've used it on everything from a 230L to WR250R to a dozen HD (all stock stators) among others and most recently I used it on my KTM 525EXC with a trail tech stator, never had an issue with current draw. It has a thermostat that I set on the lowest comfortable setting, I has kept me warm in a lot of cold summer riding situations and it takes up almost no room roller up.
Wow, I will definitely be looking into a vest. Love hearing long term gear testaments like that. Thanks for the recommendation!

In other news, another inmate reminded me that we can't forget to bring along some disinfecting wipes. I might try baby wipes, I've heard it recommended on here before. So Nate, pick some up if you haven't already. I'm not applying any soothing ointment to your arse when you start chafing.

Okay back to homework :(

roaming_art screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 01:37 PM