User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
-Slider- OP
New and Improved

Oddometer: 799
Slapped!

A rally does not have to be huge to be a huge success. The first ever SLAP Rally was such an event. You can count the attendees on both hands (and a couple toes). Pilot, Curvrider, KTMrider,KAL151, Overlander, Underlander, NotaHarley, MotoMike, EX#2, Yard Dog and Myself.

Things got off to kind of a slow start on Thursday. Yard Dog got to my place about 6 PM and we made the short 16 mile trip over to the Chadwick OHV area to find Pilot sleeping in a lawn chair. Pleasantries were exchanged and before long KAL and Curvrider had joined the group.

Plans were made for Friday, we were gonna wake up whatever the hell time we wanted to and maybe do some riding. With that the Dog and I headed back to Ozark for the evening.

Friday was a beatiful warm day, YD and I got to the campground about 10 er so and after discussions with Pilot and Curvrider we decided that John was gonna stay at the campground and YD, CR and myself were gonna hit some local county roads that I like to ride and loop back by in a couple hours to see what was happening.

The roads were dry and smooth and things were going really well when I decided to turn off Round Mountain Road onto Columbine Road. Been down this one a few times in the past by myself and never been able to make it across the Bull Creek down at the bottom. This is a short road that was once paved, and now has a bunch of ditches, ruts and sandy sections. We finally made it down to the river and I could see that there actually was a low water bridge here. In the past the water has always been so high that I could not even see that. With a huge smile I cracked the throttle wide open and hit the bridge and started to accellerate. That's when I saw the algea, Oh Shit!, next thing I know, I'm laying on the ground face down under the bike, my left arm is aching and my legs are trapped. The water is not too deep, but still it is not real comfortable. I layed there for what seemed like hours waiting for the guys in the Zodiac's to get here and rescue this beached whale, where the hell is GreenPeace when ya need em. I look back and see YD, he has hit the ground too, no help coming from that quarter. CR has made it across and is yelling, he needs to know if I am ok. Yep, I'm fine, so he's starts digging for the camera....
YD waddles across the ice and helps me get the bike off so I can stand up. Next we try to stand the bike up and all we manage to do is push it across the slime, this stuff is so slippery the tires cannot even get a purchase to stand up. Once we are finally across and the bike is restarted and shooting water fifteen feet out the muffler, all I can think is "Thank God I did not bring the Strom". I would have been really pissed if I would have torn up my new bike. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful, good roads, lots of dust and we made our way back to the campground. Pilot had been playing around in the area, exploring on his GS.

We had a great lunch of hot dogs prepared by Curv and then YD and I headed for town to make repairs, somewhere along the road, the old KLR had lost a head pipe bolt and was backfiring cuz of the exhaust leak. John and Rick stayed at the campground to do some more riding.

Later that evening we headed to the campground and discovered that the rest of the group had made it in, introductions were made, adult beverages were consumed and we called it a night.

Saturday morning the group headed out for another ride on some of my favorite local roads. I decided we would ride them the opposite direction that I normally do. As we turned off the pavement and hit Buck Road, I was worried that the pigs might suffer in the foot deep gravel that we were about to ride through, they did fine. Everyone in the group handled it with aplomb. We finished with the really difficult section and headed off across a low water bridge and dammit, the old KLR fell over again, this time I stepped off somewhat gracefully and Overlander was nice enough to pick the bike back up for me since my left shoulder had been slightly damaged in my get-off the day before. What a frickin' weekend, I was really earning my name of "Slider" this weekend. Then we all turned around to see the bridge claim one more victim, KAL's bike hit the ground. From here the roads started to deteriorate and the ride slowed down, lots of big patches of mud, but we made it through with no more incedents. We got back to the camp and had some fantastic baloney sammiches prepared by CR, that boy can cook. We sure eat well here in Misery.

MotoMike made it in from Cali, and brought EX#2 and their boy 'Righty' over to the campground and we all spent the rest of the day telling stories.

About dinner time we headed over to Lambert's Restaurant for dinner and throwed rolls, then off to a local bar for some cocktails and music and a real live rodeo inside the bar. A good time was had by all.

Plans were made to do this thing again, maybe in the fall...

Sunday YD and I headed over to the campground and everyone said their goodbyes. I went home and got the Strom and went for a ride...sure wish some of my friends could have stayed longer...

Thanks for putting it together Pilot

(Sorry, you can complain as much as ya want to, but I hardly got the camera out at all, so somebody else is gonna have to cough up the pictures)
Originally Posted by Ex#2
he really is the better half. I'm a very lucky wife.

-Slider- screwed with this post 05-17-2005 at 11:08 AM
-Slider- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,916
Hi Slider

It was great to meet everyone at Chadwick. I actually changed my travel plans by a day so I could get there on saturday, and it was worth it! I have a few pics but they will have to wait til I get back to cali and the home computer. It's dangerous working from the Ex's...came home from the movies tonight and Motokid alerted me to the fact that I had forgotten to log out just as the ex was plotting her next move. Gotta watch her.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:06 AM   #3
Curvy
Lost Planet Airman

Oddometer: 8,008
What a crappy time. The weather sucked. The riding sucked. The food sucked and don't get me started about the road captain. Sheesh that guy got lost in the parking lot.

A pic from the Chadwick riding trail. Can you believe Pilot didn't want to take a GS on this? Go figure.

Slider after his deep water salvage.

Yard dog feels sorry for his buddy so he throws his KLR down too.

Slider makes it to the other side and links up with the mighty XR.

Yard dog shows us how it's done. Gingerly.

The captain of U.S.N KLR dries out and cusses me for my slow response time.

Blowing the bilge on the KLR.

The next day KAL151 tries out his Honda's water proofing.

Somebody must have lost a contact lens.

Bike pron.

Pilot says he aien't moving till somebody promises him a beer when we're done.

More bike pron.

KTMrider clears the water. While Overlander scores the style points.

Ex#2,Pilot and Minimoto telling lies.

Look a chicken!

Like I said a terrible waste of time.

Can't wait to do it again. Thanks to Slider for showing us around and to Ex#2 for the showers. You guys rock.

Curvy screwed with this post 05-17-2005 at 06:33 AM
Curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,852
That was close, as you know up till a month ago was hoping to go to this sucky event. Fortunately had the pleasure of being at work. Fun fun fun at work:

Quote:
Fatal Accident
Shuts N.M. 528
A large Mack truck hauling animal fat and rendering through Bernalillo rolled several times at the intersection of U.S. 550 and N.M. 528, killing its 62-year-old driver and injuring the driver of another vehicle.
The truck collided with a Chevy Trailblazer. The Mack truck's liquid contents spilled over and drenched the driver of the SUV.
Peter Lucero of Albuquerque was pronounced dead at the scene, said Rio Rancho Department of Public Safety spokesman John Francis.
The accident occurred about 5 p.m. and closed traffic on N.M. 528 for several hours, Francis said
"The truck was attempting to turn south from U.S. 550 when it rolled and collided with the SUV," he said. "The driver of the Trailblazer was taken to a local hospital and treated for minor injuries."
The truck lay on its side on the southbound lane leaking its smelly cargo until 7:45 p.m., when a recovery vehicle stood it upright and took it away, Francis said.
Oh the joy of work. Transported this gal. We need smell-o-vision here so I could share some of the joy with ya'll.

Jurgen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
Tiras
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670

Wow, talk about bike pron... A KLR650 blowing its wad...

At least you guys know the correct way to wash a KLR

Seriously though, great pics! I wish I could've been there with ya!
"It's 2:00am; I have run out of gas, been attacked by a wild animal, played the running of the bulls on a major roadway and repaired an equipment malfunction. I have traveled a total of 22.5 miles in 3 hours and I can still see the New York skyline. This is going to be a very long ride." - Rogue 1

'04 KLR650
'04 BMW R1150R
Tiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
That was close, as you know up till a month ago was hoping to go to this sucky event. Fortunately had the pleasure of being at work. Fun fun fun at work:

Oh the joy of work. Transported this gal. We need smell-o-vision here so I could share some of the joy with ya'll.

Jurgen
You can find sympathy right between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.

If you would have made it, you wouldn't have had to smell that.

On another note, due to my ineptitude with my new camera, almost all the pictures I took were blurry. I'll upload what I can to smugmug and post later.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:10 PM   #7
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,646
I'm glad somebody else besides me has been crashing---I feel better now.

Looks like a great time guys--and gals.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
-Slider- OP
New and Improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
I'm glad somebody else besides me has been crashing---I feel better now.
You would have felt great this weekend. Yard Dog and I both dropped our bikes two times and Kip once. Rumor has it Pilot may or may not have dropped Big Bird in Chadwick.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:25 PM   #9
Mr Kawasaki
Sardonios Irritatus

Oddometer: 6,346
Sorry I haven't posted sooner, I've been having computer issues. And to top that I find that my little point and shoot camera was set incorrectly that day so the pics I did manage to get weren't the best.

After I dropped my bike in the creek for a quick wash I noticed that my throttle was sticking. Since I am relatively new to riding away from the paved stuff, following Slider around can be a bit of a challenge. Following Slider and a bunch of Advriders around with a sticking throttle borders on terrifying. Thanks to Yard Dog for hanging back in preparation to call me an ambulance. Looking forward to next time.

Moto Mike says hello.

A pretty cool shot of Overlander.

Moto Mike: "I don't know man....just be careful".
Pilot: "Trust me"

Moto Mike (to himself): "Man...if he breaks it I'm gonna have to ride this Honda back home".
Pilot (to himself): "I wonder if he has full coverage"

Nice to meet you all.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
yard dog
cheap but not free

Oddometer: 226
Thanks to Slider for a great time. Next time I will not follow so close on bridge crossings. Memo to self: bring earplugs in case they want to go to Cowboys again. Ken
yard dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:32 AM   #11
Curvy
Lost Planet Airman

Oddometer: 8,008
Nice to meet ya Ken. Keep the rubber down brother.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:22 PM   #12
pilot
Slacker Moderator

I'm real happy with how SLAP worked out. Good camping, good people, good riding, good time! I was a little disappointed with the turnout, but their loss.

We are planning to do this again next year. Hopefully, we can coordinate a little better with Team Redneck and not have a conflict.

Buy my Versys.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #13
Ex#2
TDPDUP

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
I'm real happy with how SLAP worked out. Good camping, good people, good riding, good time! I was a little disappointed with the turnout, but their loss.

We are planning to do this again next year. Hopefully, we can coordinate a little better with Team Redneck and not have a conflict.

I'll have showers, internet, beer, hot tub - maybe even pool ready.
Ex#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #14
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
I'll have showers, internet, beer, hot tub - maybe even pool ready.
I wouldn't even think about using your internet connection.

Buy my Versys.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:03 PM   #15
-Slider- OP
New and Improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
I'm real happy with how SLAP worked out...
We are planning to do this again next year.
And I shall glady lead the rides again. I still have several more low-water bridges I have slid-out on you guys have never seen....