User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
dduelin OP
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,345
Squeaky ignition canister noises - 1981 R100

On Sunday I did a major service on my R100. Fluids, lubrication, filters, plugs, compression check and a carb synch. There were no surprises and when I took it around the block to cool off the cylinders following the carb work I heard a squeaking or scraping type of noise from the front of the engine. I could hear it at idle and some at low rpms. I read some that night about timing chain replacement as I thought it might be the chain rubbing on a worn chain guide or the bearing on the nose of the crankshaft. I did a timing chain replacement about 40,000 miles ago and the bike now has 118,000 miles on it. (or 218,000 - I have a 5 digit odometer and do not know the history of the bike before 75,000 miles.)

Last night after work I took off the front cover and turned it over by hand. Sure enough there was the squeaking, scraping. I took off the stator to rule out the rotor or something in the alternator rubbing and that was not it. I left it at that.

Tonight I removed the Hall unit, the ignition canister, and that is the source of the noise. I can spin the coupling end and the unit squeaks. That can't bode well for much longer life. It does work now though and holds a steady S mark and good advance.

I read the unit is termed by BMW unrepairable and I read a couple of websites and a thread here about taking one apart for repair but these resources did not mention a bearing or bushing replacement to silence a noisy one.

They are expensive. Motorrad Electrik wants $325 for his improved one and I could not find another source other than BMW less than $500+. I thought I had read awhile back about someone that repairs them or sends you a refurbished one when you send in your old one but I need some help finding a good used part or other resource.

Oh, one other thing. When I did the timing chain replacement I broke the plastic connector that plugs the canister into the wiring harness inside the timing chest. As I thought then I would never be in there again I glued the connecter together and I am pretty sure I cannot get the connecter apart to plug in the new one. Can the three wires in the cable to the connector be cut and spliced back together if necessary? I can't see why not but thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
Search this forum for the "bean can repair" or something along those lines. There is a very detailed thread on how to do maintenance (or repairs for that matter) on those canisters, with lots of high res imagines. I don't have the link handy, use the search function. You don't need to splash out $350-$500 for a new ignition module.

Yes, you can cut the wires and splice or use different connector, e.g. a AMP SuperSeal type, way better and waterprooof.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,015
It probably just needs to be cleaned and lubed. If the timing is steady and even, it's probably good. If you're not into working on it, send me a PM and I might be able to help.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
dduelin OP
Oh boy that was close

Thanks. I am going to at least look inside and see if anything is clearly amiss. I talked to Nathan at Boxerworks and he gave me the confidence to take it apart - perhaps a spring came loose and a weight is scraping the inside of the can. I just did not have the time last night to work on it.

Dave
Old 06-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
dduelin OP
Oh boy that was close

OK. The "swoop swoop" noise is the "brush" of the Hall Effect sensor scraping the inside surface of the sheet metal timing shield. Not knowing what a healthy sensor looks like, mine appears to have a burnt appearance. There is a scrape mark where it rubs the inside of the shield. The sensor rocks back and forth a little on the timing plate but does not appear to have cracks or is coming loose from the rivets.

I bought a used unit on eBay but will try and fix this one and keep one for a spare.

Dave
Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,784
The sensor should not move at all. It's loose and that's your problem.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote