User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
awlittle OP
Being awesome1/2 the time

Oddometer: 17
Air compressor and bmw accessory plug

Will the bmw accessory plug power a mini air compressor (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...or-Motorcycles) or will Canbus set the bike on fire and report me to the NSA if I run it off anything but the battery? AND will it run off the battery or do I have to go the route of installing an aftermarket powerhub like Centech?
awlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Bobo1167
On a different frequency

Oddometer: 269
yes.

not likely, this is a german madeish bike. The harleys and triumphs have the nsa chip.

you can add a centech fuse block, straight to the battery, and would want too when your farkles become many.

the canbus jack can supply 4-6 amps, a little air compressor uses about 3-4. you should be ok. a heated vest only is about 4 amps, add sleeves and gloves, and ?? that would shut down the powerlet jack.

bobo
Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
awlittle OP

Thanks. Good to know the partial German build is enough to prevent tinfoil helmet lining...for now. I didn't see any info on how low to run the air pressure on these tube tires when off road; I haven't run tube tires for about 20 years so I'm a bit unsure...15 lbs?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Errrr....15 psi.....No.

Think about it from this perspective:

Years ago with bikes that weighed maybe 120kg, you ran 15psi without huge issues. But you had bead locks and such to keep the tyre from spinning on the rim. Plus the rims were narrower and the tyre sidewalls are designed to work with that at low pressures.

The F8 would weigh almost double that. Dual sports tyres are not made like proper off road tyres. They aren't generally designed to work in the sidewall at low pressure like a proper off road tyre.

So in general, with a pillion and/or full load, I keep up near or at maximum rated pressure. Solo, I drop to mid 20's.

I haven't had a pinch flat yet, and only recently on one of my other bikes did I suffer my first pinch flat in 5 years. It had a slow leak anyway, and took a huge hit at 120kph, lasted overnight and burst the next day.

I wired my compressor direct to the battery. Also connected the harness for the battery charger while I was at it.
Snowy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
MikeTheMechanic
Tsiki?

Oddometer: 77
You won't have any problem at all.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
awlittle OP

Mid-20s I can remember, same as starting pressure as slicks for the track car. BTW- did I miss that in the manual? My bike got stuck on the other side of 'Merica after my 1st trip with the 800 so I don't have the manual with me but I don't recall reading that or anything about pressures off road.
I appreciate the advice from everyone, best forum on the web.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by awlittle View Post
........so I don't have the manual with me but I don't recall reading that or anything about pressures off road.
Well then you can just download a free one here eh!

http://www.ascycles.com/BMW-F-Series...s=kwF&Any=True

Quote:
Originally Posted by awlittle View Post
I appreciate the advice from everyone, best forum on the web.
We know.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,658
and the Canbus don't have anything to do with this Jack.
Canbus is a twisted 2 wire "communications network" that the bikes independent computers use to communicate with each other.

What your talking about is the fact your main computer has "electronics" in it that monitor the load on a circuit. If the load exceeds allowable load on each circuit the computer switches off that circuit.

your computer can also monitor load and see "less" then expected and use that info to turn on a warning (bulb out).

I think the BMW jack is rated at 5 amp.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
The BMW accessory plug wouldn't inflate my tires with the ADV Designs micro pump. I had to use a SAE plug wired directly to the battery.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
SAE Plug for roadside tire pump

My dealer sends each bike out with an SAE plug. I believe it connects directly to my battery, but would have to check to be sure. I use it with a battery tender. As far as inflating a tire, it worked connecting a Slime mini pump to the SAE outlet to inflate a new rear tire I just recently replaced. This pump also set the bead. I run an 18 inch rear TKC 80.

Regarding airing up and down...I came from an enduro (WR450R) and so I was usually running at low pressures (9-12 psi) and airing up and down for tarmac. I ride mostly rocky dirt roads and gravel and hardpack and have found with my F800Gs (running TKC 80s), I prefer to keep the rear between 32 and 34 psi and the front between 30 and 32 psi. So I don't really air down unless I am in extended periods of soft sand. Experiment and see what works for you.

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 10:26 AM
Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
awlittle OP

Huh, I was really off on air pressures. Thanks for the manual link; I have it a quick browse and didn't see anything about lowering air pressure for off-road. Does the logic hold true for the GS1200 on air pressure? I'm doing some riding with a guy that just got one. Good thing I posted the question because I'm the expert of our little group.
Thanks for the Canbus explanation; I've been confused exactly how that worked. Now I just have to get the bike back to AZ so I can add crash bars and continue to tear out my hair about whether to lower the bike or not.