ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #31
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboy810 View Post
what kind of tire is that with the red stripe looks pretty sweet
It's a Mitas Stoneking. It's on my narrow rim though, won't fit the OEM wide rim.
Best tire I've used in the 990 off-road, hands down. Paired with a trelleborg army special on the front. Bit iffy on tarmac. The stoneking has very hard compound so it does not throw knobs off like some of the other options.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #32
duckboy810
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
i can definitely see that tire performing well and roosting everything within 50ft . I was thinking the rim looked skinny and know i havent seen that tire on any adv's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
It's a Mitas Stoneking. It's on my narrow rim though, won't fit the OEM wide rim.
Best tire I've used in the 990 off-road, hands down. Paired with a trelleborg army special on the front. Bit iffy on tarmac. The stoneking has very hard compound so it does not throw knobs off like some of the other options.
duckboy810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #33
HDen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
My problem is the other way :-) I'm looking at a used 2011 "R" for sale. I tried the 2012 STD Adv and it's OK with the 860mm seat height. The "R" seat is 35mm higher...could be too high for me, I'm only 5'-8 1/2" . What can I do to lower it close to 860/865mm? Installing a std Adv seat version will help I supposed? Next step would be to change the springs lenght in the forks? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #34
ADVTuga
Paulo Lança

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
Is it a C-02 120/90-18 ?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #35
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDen View Post
My problem is the other way :-) I'm looking at a used 2011 "R" for sale. I tried the 2012 STD Adv and it's OK with the 860mm seat height. The "R" seat is 35mm higher...could be too high for me, I'm only 5'-8 1/2" . What can I do to lower it close to 860/865mm? Installing a std Adv seat version will help I supposed? Next step would be to change the springs lenght in the forks? Thanks!
Ride it to San Diego and we can have a suspension-swap party.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #36
licascurtu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Lots of good opinions about this ....I'll put mine out there too. I ride a 990 adv on all terrains: heavy off road and currently from Canada to Ushuaia and back. I'll say that for me the abs it's a must on the road, I'm 100% positive that most of u wouldn't have the balls to squeeze the brakes as hard and as efficient on an non abs bike like on a abs bike.(u can put a switch for the abs and once u flip it it will stay off all the time...u can stall it whatever) Off road I tried the S and the R models and with proper suspension adj are better than the stock 990 but still much easier to throw the stock 990 around at low speeds.Biggest advantage offroad on the S&R is if u wanna do crazy stuff where clearance is an issue.
That being said... I'll change my suspension to an S model but that's just because I take my 990 on stuff most people go on 450's
licascurtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #37
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by licascurtu View Post
Lots of good opinions about this ....I'll put mine out there too. I ride a 990 adv on all terrains: heavy off road and currently from Canada to Ushuaia and back. I'll say that for me the abs it's a must on the road, I'm 100% positive that most of u wouldn't have the balls to squeeze the brakes as hard and as efficient on an non abs bike like on a abs bike.(u can put a switch for the abs and once u flip it it will stay off all the time...u can stall it whatever) Off road I tried the S and the R models and with proper suspension adj are better than the stock 990 but still much easier to throw the stock 990 around at low speeds.Biggest advantage offroad on the S&R is if u wanna do crazy stuff where clearance is an issue.
That being said... I'll change my suspension to an S model but that's just because I take my 990 on stuff most people go on 450's
I just transformed my 990 to the R height. The ABS was something I wanted after my street crash. It's some $$$$ but worth it

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #38
Rodknee OP
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,201
ooh, i forgot about this thread...

after much deliberation, and the fact that my inseam is totally against the R, i ended up getting this beauty for a steal a few weeks ago.

got 2 rides on it so far, and going out for a ride shortly. very very happy so far. i already put a carbon windscreen, frame guards, pulled the peg rubbers, heated grips and a HDB setup (thanks paul!!) on it, and am fighting the urge for woody's wheels, exhaust etc.... thanks to the OC for the past, present and future help with the big girl!
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #39
stevodadevo
What happened?

Oddometer: 177
Congrats! I LOVE the white ones.
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #40
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Yes the white one's are sweet !
Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #41
Rodknee OP
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,201
yes, they are. rode 2 up with the wifey today for the first time. wifey said the 800xc we had before was more comfortable...

Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #42
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
When you look at changing susp height, don't forget to include the cost of a longer sidestand/ centerstand as well.

Steve
+1 -

My tires don't roll on the center stand anymore....
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #43
terminator
n00b

Oddometer: 2
KTM1190 vs KTM990 Which is best?

Hello all
I want to buy an adventure bike looking at KTM990 , KTM1190 or New 1200 Gs in short which is best there all good also should I go for R versions of ktm I want a true dual purpose bike that works on and off road.
Cheers
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote